Forum: General Discussion

话题: Windows 8 - Page: 2

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

So... what DID you think, apopis?
Don't hold us (me) in suspense!
;)

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 3:24 pm
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I saw some info on windows 8 a week or more ago. Unless you use a touch screen system, there won't be any advantage to upgrading. Windows 7 is designed for traditional computing use. Windows 8 will be pushing for touch screen users.

I have purchased 5 new machines in the past 6 months all with Windows 7 and am still learning the new OS.

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 6:28 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Look at these guys. Or this guy.

Yep. The DreamScreen is awesome. Not sure if I like the TOKEN better though... When I get enough info together, making a transparent touchscreen be my next hobby project, that's for sure!

发表时间 Thu 09 Jun 11 @ 6:53 am
er0sionPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Installed win8 on my laptop a few weeks ago, that thing FLIES. I upgraded to a hybrid solid state drive (seagate 4GB flash ~ 500GB) and it boots under 4 seconds. It does have a desktop, but missing is the start button.

发表时间 Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 12:07 pm
I like the Pro Dj pc that is why I built one similar. I asked them to purchase their skin and they wouldnt work with me.. That upset me.

发表时间 Fri 07 Sep 12 @ 6:51 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
thers gonna be tablets running W8 as well... im thinking of getting the galaxy tablet but the guy at JB HI-FI told me to wait for about a month till all the new stuff come out.... i hate waiting, iv been waiting toooooo long for other stuff.

with so many O/S now its hard which one to choose from.

发表时间 Sat 08 Sep 12 @ 3:26 am
So with the Windows 8 launch just 11 days away, has anybody played with the RTM version with 7.x?

I dual boot my laptop and have a very stripped down version on Win7 for DJing.

Yes I have WiFi enabled and can surf and post while gigging without an issue with 7, but Windows 8 says it's "always connected" but at the same time says it has lower power consumption.

If anyone has tried Win8 I would like to know whether it has just worked or whether they have had to make any changes. We can then start a Windows 8 wiki page to help others.

I'm not looking to gig on the 27th with Win8, but with Microsoft offering a £25 upgrade - it would be stupid not to.

Cheers,

Roy

发表时间 Mon 15 Oct 12 @ 5:01 am
I just bought a new DJing laptop and will get a free upgrade to windows 8 on friday.
I'm seriously thinking about upgrading and wondered if anyone knew of any reason why I shouldn't give it a go.

Will VirtualDJ run fine on windows 8. Will my Hercules RMX work fine? Has anyone tested these wit the pre release version?

Thanks

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 6:33 am
DiscoDazUK wrote :
wondered if anyone knew of any reason why I shouldn't give it a go.

Because it's the first release into the wilds of consumerdom.

Chances are that within days there will be issues discovered that weren't found in testing, because there'll be a much larger spread of people using it. It'll take time for software and hardware companies to release new versions or new drivers to fix all the issues that a new OS causes.

There's a reason why "mission critical" systems are run on older hardware and software - because they've been time proven.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 7:01 am
groovindj wrote :
Chances are that within days there will be issues discovered that weren't found in testing, because there'll be a much larger spread of people using it. It'll take time for software and hardware companies to release new versions or new drivers to fix all the issues that a new OS causes.

There's a reason why "mission critical" systems are run on older hardware and software - because they've been time proven.

Not completely agreeing with you, but as with any upgrade precautions should be taken with any kind of upgrade - hardware, controller, software, operating system...

With regards to the "not found in testing" statement. Windows 8 was downloaded and installed by millions and was in probably the widest beta test ever.

Not only that, the huge company that I work in has been rolling out Windows 8 laptops to employees here for over 6 months! We have been working very closely with M$ and have felt confident enough that it can be rolled out. we even have our own enterprise "gold" build.

Got an lenovo X220 tablet sitting on my desk next to me ;-)

So yes, precaution required, but I think people will be pleasantly surprised with the stability of Windows 8.

Cheers,

Roy

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 7:37 am
What concerns me most about W8 is the Media Center.

I use WMC in 7 for all my TV watching and recording at home.

I know it's now an add-on and apparently only for W8 Pro, but I just hope they haven't messed about with it too much and/or made it worse.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 9:03 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
If you are doing video then test extensively first. My ATi graphics card performed really badly under W8.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 9:18 am
AMAHM - I got 2 of the allin1 19 and the just purchased the allin1 32. Both are awesome machines.
Discobrian - The skins they make are customize specifically for their machines only.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 10:59 am
SBDJ wrote :
If you are doing video then test extensively first. My ATi graphics card performed really badly under W8.

That's a driver issue not windows.

I've been using the RTM of windows 8 for several weeks now with VDJ and it all works flawlessly. Video performance as well as everything else is excellent. Bear in mind that windows 8 is essentially a fine tuned optimized version of windows 7 with the addition of all the tablet functionality.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 2:58 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I know. It was a simple warning, that's all.

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 3:01 pm
DJ ANGEL S wrote :
AMAHM - I got 2 of the allin1 19 and the just purchased the allin1 32. Both are awesome machines.
Discobrian - The skins they make are customize specifically for their machines only.

what hardware, or midi mixer is in yours??

发表时间 Mon 22 Oct 12 @ 7:52 pm
Installed Windows 8 on my gigging laptop this morning, been playing with it & VDJ most of the day & so far so good. One really huge improvement I've noticed is the video. My laptop has HD RAdeon discreet graphics, I could never use music videos or clipbank videos with VDJ without audio & video stutters on every song, but after installing the new windows plus reinstalling my video drivers I've had no major problems. A few of the clipbank videos do pause for a second at the beginning and when they loop, but not all and with no music videos so far. Unfortunately I don't have enough quality videos right now nor enough money to invest, but still it'll be nice if I can finally start using clipbank in the field;^]

发表时间 Fri 26 Oct 12 @ 8:32 pm
I think this YouTube video sums up Windows 8 quite nicely...

.....and this one where Chris Pirillo's dad tries to find the start button (wait for the comment at the end!).

发表时间 Sat 27 Oct 12 @ 6:10 am
So, 2 things I have discovered about Windows 8 this week:

1. Microsoft held true to their word and have launches a £24.99 upgrade to Win 8 Pro - offer runs until 31st Jan 2013

2. Apparently you no longer need to partition your drive for multiple OS installs. You can now create Virtual Hard Drives (VHD) on the root of your C drive and have the windows boot manager see them and allow you to boot to them directly.

I'll be trying this out over the next week and will report back. If this is possible I can see no end of uses for it as well as being to able to claw back unused disk space...

Cheers,

Roy

发表时间 Sat 27 Oct 12 @ 7:26 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003

发表时间 Sat 27 Oct 12 @ 10:47 pm
33%