快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Windows 8 - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

If it wasn't for the fact that the VDJ Windows version is far better than the Mac offering I wouldn't use Windows at all. I'm flipping sick of every time I use my gig laptop getting the same old familiar updates, install, reboot, wait 10 minutes crap.

XP is fine on a minimal install or a netbook but that's about it. :)

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 2:03 pm
Every six months theres something new and what do these updates really offer? nothing

Window 7 was meant to be super tech but to be honest it just does the job nothing more.

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 2:10 pm
I'm not a windows "fan boy" but then I'm not and never have been a mac fan either. I agree with Keith that the Windows version on VDJ is much richer and therefore I have no need to even consider a mac.

I did think however the whole touch driven UI would whet some peoples appetites, especially those looking for multi-touch support in skins.

Roy

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 4:20 pm
That figures.......As soon as I get W7.....here comes W8! I'll upgrade in 2014

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 4:39 pm
Jam Master Rob wrote :

Comening in 2012

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 5:37 pm
dJ_ro_(ecu) wrote :
Jam Master Rob wrote :

Comening in 2012

So that confirms it, the world will be ending in 2012!

发表时间 Thu 02 Jun 11 @ 11:41 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
So that confirms it, the world will be ending in 2012!

Maybe lol

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 7:28 am
pskeensPRO InfinityMember since 2010
kradcliffe wrote :
A pig wearing lipstick is still a pig.

If it wasn't for the fact that the VDJ Windows version is far better than the Mac offering I wouldn't use Windows at all. I'm flipping sick of every time I use my gig laptop getting the same old familiar updates, install, reboot, wait 10 minutes crap.

XP is fine on a minimal install or a netbook but that's about it. :)

Other than the Plug-ins and add-ons for Win, what makes the Win version better than MAC? I use it on Mac have it installed on Win7 as well for backup but have never used the Win7 Version yet. Just curious on why its so much better.

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 12:59 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
kradcliffe wrote :
I'm flipping sick of every time I use my gig laptop getting the same old familiar updates, install, reboot, wait 10 minutes crap.

Then don't do it....
Just disable windows updates in control panel.
You'll see in time that you don't really miss anything while you don't risk by installing updates and drivers prior a gig...
That's what i do for years now.
I install only official (and final) service packs and only after an image backup of my windows partition.
Except when it is a very specific update or driver, but again i do it manually (and backup first).

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 3:07 pm
look like this..!!

[youtube]p92QfWOw88I&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 4:56 pm
don't do any updates that you don't have to ......

even then set a restore point first

automatic updates leaves control outside of your hands .......

don't allow any software to auto update

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 7:57 pm
Long ago I when I bought my first PC, I needed to make a decision on geting an Apple II or intel based machine. This was going to effect my whole development career.

I selected a zilog Z80 machine which was compatible with the intel 8080. This choice was made simply because of market share. I figured I would go with the market since the oportunites for making money seemed better. When the mac came out with the motorola 68000 I was abit jealous.

The open architecture of the PC really drove it into existence. Historically, Apple has had closed architecture which can be good and bad. IBM came out with their closed architecture PS2 and while very nice, it just died because the PC was open market :) Seems they were trying to model Apple abit.

Around 1992, we had to move some pc code to a mac. We found some hardware limitations with the mac that we no longer had to worry about on pc with the intel CPU. On another issue, we called Apple about a question and they said: " You can't do that because thats our business machine". We just laughed... Seems they were trying to model IBM abit... haha... Note at this point Steve Jobs was no longer with Apple.

Apple's market share is growing slightly, but still around 10% I believe.

My son has an iPad. He's always asking to connect to my PC to so I can rip CD's or DVD's and he can move them to his iPad. iPad has no DVD drive so I do it for him. So I find I cannot move files to his iPad without first installing iTunes on my PC. What ? iTunes is the file manager ? I just had to laugh. Don't get me wrong, the iPad is a beautiful device. Somethings just seem weird about it... Like no USB port etc... without buying a converter.

Apple is getting more and more in your face about things from my perspective. Bonjeur is the sneaky little program they like to install for updates and calling home. Bonjeur has gotten better than it was though.

There are some things I like about Windows 7 but still seems more arkward to navigate to me versus XP and also more in your face.

I turn of all the automatic updates as well.

Windows has at least 70% market share and the main reason more focus is put into development for it.

发表时间 Fri 03 Jun 11 @ 10:10 pm

On a video I watched I noticed they were really pushing the touch screen features, so the OS would work on any 'pad' or desktop..

I work with equipment that uses a lot of 'embedded' equipment and I have noticed that embedded XP has become bigger then linux in that world..

I'm going to assume that what Microsoft is striving for is to get back their market share in the embedded and portable market.. (but make the same OS usable on desktops still)..
This is a huge deal as all the new phones, TV's, Cars, Gaming consoles, etc etc

As to its relation with VDJ, I think it may mean VDJ will have to postion itself to be more "Friendly" with touch screens.

发表时间 Mon 06 Jun 11 @ 10:40 am
Latest output from microsoft is that Windows 8 will be "on a chip" which is exactly what you are asking for...

Roy

发表时间 Mon 06 Jun 11 @ 5:04 pm
As a touch screen DJ I'm all for Window 8, or any decent OS that supports touch screen technology. Windows, however, has the advantage of extreme compatability as far as softwares and drivers go, thanks to their market share and presence. I'll go from XP to Windows 8, I think.

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 10:54 am
I'm still rocking XP on my gig machine. Take all the updates and don't have any issues. Will get 8 when it comes out, maybe wait til 9.

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 2:52 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
deejay corny wrote :
As a touch screen DJ ...

"touch screen DJ"... this made me stop and think for a while...

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 2:57 pm
My laptop has two touch screens ..... however Windows 7 is pretty impossible to control on them.

VDJ however has some nice touchscreen skins and I can use the second screen for either video, virtual keyboard or internet explorer.

Keith

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 3:09 pm

发表时间 Wed 08 Jun 11 @ 3:10 pm
16%