快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Copyright laws for DJs in Canada

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I looked around in the forums for this question but I can't find an answer for it. There's a thread in here about intenational copyright laws with specifics on how to obide by them in various countries, but unfortunately Canada's not mentioned. Thus, I have to ask here.

I'm looking into becoming a DJ (and doing it legit, not like many I know), but carrying my entire CD collection with me as well is not the best thing for a mobile DJ. So naturaly, I'm thinking of buying VDJ and ripping my whole collection into mp3s. But before I commit to it, I need to know, what are the legal limits for that in Canada? I mean what are the rules and fees for ripping CD collections to your laptop for performance purposes?

That being said, I know there is also a seperate fee that must be paid for public performance of somebody else's music. And I know that in the case of clubs and most public venues that are made for music entertainment, the venue would be the one paying those fees. But I don't want to limit myself to venues, and rather also try private parties, functions and maybe even performing in festivals and other events in open air, where you can't control the number of people that are attending, or charge them anything (hence the need for mobility), or even more, prforming music for not-for-profit purposes.

I've done searches on the internet and it seems like SOCAN is the way I'd have to go for musical performance fees. But all of their options are way too complicated. I know I'm not going to play the music on the radio or anything, but there are all different fees for different types of events, such as different for playing in public parks rather than playing in hotel ballrooms ... so which ones whould apply to me because I don't understand? I'm contacting them as well to find out more, but in the mean time, I'd like to know learn how these fees are settled from the people already in the trade.

发表时间 Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 4:07 am
OKay you're sort of on the right track.

It's not SOCAN you need to look into it's AVLA.

audio/visual licencing assoc.

If you are intending to copy music from CD's to hard drive you need to purchase a Hard drive (digital) licence from AVLA. ($350.00 aprox)

If you intend use iTUNES for video or audio - Don't. Full Stop. iTunes are not licenced for public display whatsoever in Canada.

If you do not want to pay for a licence from AVLA but still want to use Licenced music that will not get you into any trouble Go to this web site.

www.podds.ca

This is Promo-only's digital Download store, You must be a professional DJ to register and if you buy your music exclusively from this web site - you do not have to purchase any further AVLA licences.

- Source, AVLA -

Video is not available except by DVD subcription yet.

Other than that you just need your business licence from your local chamber of commerce, a tax accountant once a year and a bit of organization and ambition.

Have fun.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

发表时间 Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 6:25 am
Aha, so it's the AVLA that has the copying licenses. And SOCAN has the public performance licenses? Am I correct on the fact that I need both?

That being said, how come iTunes can't be used at all, even with an AVLA license? I mean, how does this work. Is it the same as those withholding international laws that certain content be distributed in only some countries? Such as for example some movies made in the US are not allowed to be shown in Germany? Or something along those lines ... some media not meant to cross international borders?
And does that mean that I can't buy music from an online store that's not specifically made for Canada, such as BeatPort.com, and use it in my mixes ... even with an AVLA hard-disk license ?

That being said, of course I won't limit myself to buying only from promo-only ... they may have the latest hits, but they probably have close to nothing on old songs. And it would also mean that my current CD collection would become useless without the license (unless I carry that collection with me to every single gig).

发表时间 Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 7:50 pm
Again - you're close but miss the point.

DJ = AVLA
Live preformer/songwriter = SOCAN/ASCAP.

You do not need a SOCAN permit or even an AVLA licence for that matter to DJ a fuction - just AVLA approved music.

iTunes are perfectly legal for personal use only. Public use is not allowed. Just the way it is.

To copy your music from CD to Hard drive you need an AVLA digital Licence.

It might Cover your iTunes- call AVLA - search them in yellowpages Toronto.

This does not cover Video in any way - Only Video's from an AVLA approved source are allowed to be shown in public.

At home for practice - use whatever you want.

Simple thing to remember - If you have to RIPP ANYTHING - buy an AVLA digital licence.

If you Don;t want to buy alicence - bring your CD's or buy from podds.ca

发表时间 Thu 19 Apr 07 @ 2:52 am
Ok, that makes sense. Only live performers, not merely reproducing recordings go through SOCAN. I'll definitely contact the AVLA with more questions on the matter.
Thanks for your answers and explanations. It means the world to me.

Cheers,
Vlad.

发表时间 Thu 19 Apr 07 @ 6:24 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)