快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Interesting discussion I had tonight regarding video DJ - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I was talking to one of the alternate DJ's at the club along with the club manager eariler tonight in regards to Video dj'ing.

Now We've all seen the old method of video dj'ing with vcr tapes and more recently dvd's.

What we've noticed in the past is that if the video presentation is really good - people stop dancing and drinking and pay too much attention to the video show.

Also - if the images on the screen are too sexy (think CHrsitina Aguilara - Dirrty) then there is a segment of the bar going female population (fat chicks and ugly chicks) who feel aleinated because they're not as attractive as the woman on screen. Therefore they drink more but dance less (not really a big problem untill the dorrmen have to carry a fat chick out ot the end of the night)

Hell even seeing a sexy chick on a speaker platform is enough to set off some guys/women.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behaviour?

Where adding the video has proved to be a detriment to the bar sales and population flow (foot traffic)of the night.

This is why I was concerned about the Sonique pugin -It's facinating enough to provide visual stimulus but wont take away from the reason for being at the bar - Drinking and getting laid.

The occasional video thrown in is a bonus.

Thoughts?

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 5:22 am
I think theres alot of truth to that, but I don't think its going to last forever. Once people get used to the video in that setting, I think there not going to keep looking at it. I'm mean people are going to be looking at it (if not why would we bother) but for the most part its not at the same time. When there waiting for there drink, their spouse/girl/man to come back from the bathroom, the ones that just stand there and don't plan on doing anything (you know...the cool people : )

"(fat chicks and ugly chicks) who feel aleinated because they're not as attractive as the woman on screen"

Then that means you can't let hot women in either......just okay girls. You gotta figure there going to feel that way regardless (unless your spinning for a weight watchers event) then I would suggest on playing some fat chick videos.....is there any??

Video just takes things to a totally new level, specially when you play oldschool videos....it just really brings you back. I think that really puts people in a good mood.

But I have noticed people dancing then when a new vid comes in they check out the screen instead of really feeling the next track, but like I said earlier "Once people get used to the video in that setting" they'll keep dancing & stopp paying attention so much. Its just really new to alot of people.

well that makes my 100th post : )

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 6:17 am
Rem1xHome userMember since 2006
when video came out a lot of ppl hated on it. change = hate. we hate on something that we dont have or understand. when video first came out a lot of ppl hated. i had a weak pc and felt like hating but held back.
i got a refurbished 1.6Ghz and can mess with vids now and its amazing. all songs are dope now. lol even the old ones. video added to audio is definately the future. the earlier u jump on it the better. u dont want to be left behind.

i went to a club that played videos for the first time this past saturday and studied the place.... videos no doubt are amazing at for now everyone is dazed by them. i dont have cable tv and found myself looking at these new videos. but that is just now... with time videos are gonna be nothing.

so yeah i agree with u even i didnt give my girl attention. i was busy looking at videos while she was fighting other girls lookin at me. and i ignored all of them looking at the videos. the dj sucked so the vids kept me busy too.

ppl with no money now have something to keep them busy;
the girls in the club have to work harder for attention.

if i were an owner i'd charge more cover charge for now coz its the 'new thing' for the broke ppl who feel too comfortable watching videos and doing nothing. and of course pay video dj more.
and more cover charge coz of those broke ppl who cant afford cable at home that come to watch new vids at the club. :(
-------------------
i wanna see radio mixshows taken to the next level and see who's gonna be the first video dj to have a ground breaking mixshow on tv. thats gonna be something.

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 6:54 am
I have not found video to be a negative at all, on the contrary it seems to keep patrons in the bar longer, keeps those (as expressed "fat ugly chicks" and fat ugly guys) something to do while hanging out not getting asked to dance. In clubs like sportsbars that don't have dance floors it is a great added layer of entertainment to keep patrons interested after the games are over. Every club I have played videos sales have gone up after we started video.

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 1:31 pm
dj-e-lectric wrote :
I have not found video to be a negative at all, on the contrary it seems to keep patrons in the bar longer, keeps those (as expressed "fat ugly chicks" and fat ugly guys) something to do while hanging out not getting asked to dance. In clubs like sportsbars that don't have dance floors it is a great added layer of entertainment to keep patrons interested after the games are over. Every club I have played videos sales have gone up after we started video.

I second that. My turnatblist/dj partners and friends have all noticed this as well.

I've been paying VERY close attention to the effect that having music videos playing has on everyone at a venue. The MOST interesting part of it is that there is all of a sudden a "synergy" amongst everyone in the club because everyone is enjoying the same thing!

Example:
When I go into clubs now that I'm not spinning at and they have displays/projectors/tv's, because of the fact that what is being displayed may have nothing to do with the music that is being played, the people on the dancefloor are in another world than that of the people all around them at the bar, pool tables, etc.

But when the video music is being played, everyone is enjoying the same thing and everything/everyone just feels [and are] more unified.

Believe me, some of my partners and friends were very skeptical about this because I had foretold it to them before I had a chance to demo it. Now they are all believers. So much so, that last Saturday when I was spinning with 2 of my partners/on-air staff mixers from 93.5 KDAY (Los Angeles), they insisted that I stay in the mix because not only they, but everyone [on the dancefloor or not] where so intensely fixated on the music AND music videos!

This is gonna be BIG! =D

This is why I have gone ahead and started using the stage name "VT ConQuest" and any promotional materials that I will be billed on in the next couple of months will all reflect that new title and prefix. VT stands for Visual Turntablist, and I have started this new naming precedent in order to advance the art of what we are calling Visual Turntablism and considering to be the 3rd evolution of the DJ (1st generation = DJ, 2nd generation = Turntablist, 3rd generation = Visual Turntablist).

Synchronized music and visual imagery (eg. music videos) will be the default standard in a lot of clubs within the next year or two. the art of Visual Turntablism will be BIG in the near future and I predict we'll be seeing Visual Turnatblist battles, competitions, and showcases at international competitions within the next couple of years as well.

You heard it here first! =)

- VT ConQuest

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 2:25 pm
Hey Video Jugglin........Its a lot bigger than u think and has a lot of positives

True..... people may stop dancing and look at the screen because it is pretty new and they are amazed... in fact spell bound.. but trust me they do feel the music

I am a novice at mixing... (i am improving).... just teaching myself to scratch in fact

From the island of Jamaica West Indies.... all i do is Video Mix.. Considering that i am young at this.... i have stepped into some pretty major clubs and gigs alongside famous djs and radio personality.... all in the name of videos and the vibes on the crowd is pretty intense.. sometimes the crowd gets into a frenzy after the first two videos are played (considering that these videos are sometimes refixes. Videos that i lay on Reggae Riddims). Even the djs are excited.

I have played at Margaritaville (Montego Bay) Club destination to many tourists (plz remember that i am an amateur). The patrons were so excited...they watched they danced... they got outright crazy
Management.... told me that it was one of they most exciting Saturdays for a very long time.

We are now negotiating.... a regular 2 times a month gig
One of their competition has already contracted me for a once a month gig and i have not even played there before.... just from what they heard... and not even from me

VIDEO MIXING.............. HUUUUUUUUUUUGE

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 2:55 pm
You know guys along time ago, wow i'm that old.... well about or aroung 1990/92 I went to a club in Glandale, CA. it used to call Papis, it was a club mostly for hispanic people. Anyway, that dj, used to do something very amazing. He would mix and play videos at the same time. Ofcouse back then I imagine it was harder to find videos from the music he would mix, but he would do a very good job. He had an extra person next to him, I'm guessing that extra guy would play the videos, some times the videos were out of pace, so I know for sure he was mixing and the other guy would find the video and try to play it along the song. I still think this was really kool. I used to think that would be imposible, but here we are mixing videos.
well, I just wanted to drop this coment here because I seen those faces and people at the bar watching the screen doing nothing. It was kinna funny..

Feel and Hear the music my friends!!!

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 6:25 pm
DjNainer wrote :
You know guys along time ago, wow i'm that old.... well about or aroung 1990/92 I went to a club in Glandale, CA. it used to call Papis, it was a club mostly for hispanic people. Anyway, that dj, used to do something very amazing. He would mix and play videos at the same time. Ofcouse back then I imagine it was harder to find videos from the music he would mix, but he would do a very good job. He had an extra person next to him, I'm guessing that extra guy would play the videos, some times the videos were out of pace, so I know for sure he was mixing and the other guy would find the video and try to play it along the song. I still think this was really kool. I used to think that would be imposible, but here we are mixing videos.
well, I just wanted to drop this coment here because I seen those faces and people at the bar watching the screen doing nothing. It was kinna funny..

Feel and Hear the music my friends!!!

That sounds JUST like what I'm doing now for my partners and friends who are mixing audio only when I have my VirtualDJ video set-up right next to them and they happen to play a song that I have the video for. I just turn the volume down on my mixer and match the bpm's and then it looks like they're mixing videos too.

What we're seeing now though, is the emergenge of TRUE Visual Turntablism where audio and it's actual visuals/video are being simultaneously manipulated using a vinyl record and traditional turntablist equipment, turntable and mixer.

The separate video player alongside the turntables is certainly nothing new as you have pointed out. Even with very talented performers like "Kireek" out of Osaka, Japan and San Francisco's Mike Relm (Daly City), the difference between their earlier form of Visual Turntablism is that a separate video player or mixer is used to control video that is not technically synchronized with the audio, no matter how close it may look.

TRUE Visual Turntablism can evolve now that audio and video can either be manipulated separately (as has been the case for years now) OR[/], more importantly, simultaneously using ONLY the common 12" diameter form factor vinyl record (analog, timecode, or both) AND a traditional dj equipment configuration, including turntable and mixer.

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 7:15 pm
I guess I should have been less flip during my origional post.

The main focus was - does the video show stop people from dancing?

Does the video show stop foot traffic flow that a medium sized club would depend on to circulate population medium being 300-500.

Because once the first 400 get drunk (around 11:00) you want them out and bar hopping to get the next 400 in line in the door

Do you think the video would stop this population changover?

Just wondering because video might not be such a good idea

I think It'll be a great idea throughout the week - something new is definatly good
It's the week end I'm wondering about.

I'm still going to use video for mobile but wondering if it is a viable opiton for such a small club on the busiest nights.

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 9:13 pm

If you mix videos like a MTV broadcast (video from a to b, next video from a to b), I think a few will watch it like TV broadcast in the club.

The REAL challenge for Video DJS, is to make it into a visual lift, and build for the atmosphere, much the same as "disco lights" are needed in a club.

you need to add effects and manipulate the video, so that its not a broadcast..

Make it less "viewer friendly" and more "light show" if you like...

At least that what I intend to do, when I start video mixing soon.

Because I think you have a valid worry Marcel, at least when its new in a club.
I dont want them to start watching TV in my club ;) hehe

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 9:30 pm
I think video actually KEEPS people at the bar/club. There are a lot of people (girls mostly)... that can go out to a bar or club and get bored very quickly. Maybe the guys aren't giving them enough attention. Whatever the case may be.

If you have a ton of TVs in the club playing the music videos, I find that this actually gives the patrons that *may* be bored something to do. I have noticed people will stare at these videos for hours on end (especially if you are like me and play a LOT of the classic nostalgic 80s and 90s videos). They will totally lose track of time from watching these videos. They stay longer, and usually drink more.

The people that dance... I don't think the videos deter them from dancing. If they are going to dance... they are going to dance.

The fat chicks can be upset all they want. They eventually get over it. ;-)

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 10:16 pm

Good to hear ;) less worried now :)

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 10:18 pm
This is one of my worries when I start doing all video sets.

I definitlety think that TV's in a nightclub/bar take away from the social atmosphere. Whether its Sportscenter on the tubes or music videos people seem to glance or even stare at them.

Before I started at my Friday residency I was at a swank lounge with a fairly new hottie sipping Marini's. They have a piano player who plays till 11p when the DJ starts. Fun and romantic atmosphere. Problem was they had ESPN on a few TV's. We both kept glancing up and commenting on what was on (winter X games).

I always make sure that all the tele's are off when a play at a smaller venue (300 people).

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 11:29 pm
I went through this in 1982 to 1986 when I was video DJing in around 4 different clubs a week across the North of UK. We used to promote in shopping centres (Malls) and would always attract a posse of break dancers and a few robot dancers. I used two Philips Laservision players some active speakers and a pile of TVs because we didn't have plasmas then.

I might try video again, but at the moment concentrate on the music. I've got a demanding day job so prefer to keep things easy now.#

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 11:36 pm
What about video clips for a wedding?
Has anyone tried this before?
What if you have a 100''inch screen in front of the dancefloor with live video camera feedback?

I think people can dance and watch at the same time.

Make sure you know the content of each video clip. Some include very sexy scenes (see 50 CENT- P.I.M.P late night version). I just add an xxx to the filename and put them in a specific folder. Maybe I 'll play them at a bachelor's party :)

I started collecting video clips a year ago. Now I building a shuttle-system with more than 2TB hard disks. I think I will be the first VT in my country ( Cyprus ) and I cannot describe the way I feel.

发表时间 Mon 29 Jan 07 @ 11:41 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Video is all I do now.
Initially I experienced the same stigma, but in clubs it has it's place.
Full dance floors don't sell booze.
Booze is what supports the club, they more they drink the more profit they make.
Busy monitors give people dance energy because it stimulates both the ears and eyes.
A club that has drinkers and dancers will satisfy both with video on the screens.

If the action stops, I load an ambient, effect or audio track.
I started with video when everybody poked it with a stick and put it down, so I have seen the good and bad side of it and am glad I made the right call.

I run a live video feed with a truss mounted E70 Sony remote camera and it works excellent.
It turns them on like a chrome faucet every time.

发表时间 Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 2:01 am
We have a projector in the lounge side of the club right near the back bar, It has a s-vid & VGA input.
The video card I'm purchasing has Dual VGA outputs + sVId

Here's the scenario I was preposing to the club manger.

Video mixing from the booth to the other side/lounge

Audio mixing only on the club/dancefloor side

In other words, send the video signal over to the lounge side only, for the entertainment of people sitting and drinking as opposed to the dancers

The projector is Aprox 60 - 150 feet away
has SVID and VGA inputs
Video card has dual vga and SVID with dual screen support.

Think there'll be a sync problem with the video, or quality decay?
Not worried about the audio because the club already has a repeater amp built into the lounge.

I've almost got the manager willing to give it a try

A side Benifit would be haveing the text plugin available to avertise spot drink specials.
Or on sunday the rotating specials.

发表时间 Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 2:43 am
dj-in-norway wrote :
The REAL challenge for Video DJS, is to make it into a visual lift, and build for the atmosphere, much the same as "disco lights" are needed in a club.

you need to add effects and manipulate the video, so that its not a broadcast..

Make it less "viewer friendly" and more "light show" if you like...

Exactly what I've been saying and why I've already changed my stage name to VT ConQuest (Visual Turntablist) to differentiate from those dj's who don't use turntables OR the one's that may use turntables but only beat match and adjust pitch and don't add anything more to the visual stimuli than what the transition and effects plug-ins offer.

That is NOT a slam on beat matchers or simpler turntablists/dj's OR a slam on VDJ/VV's GREAT transitons and effects, it is JUST AN OBSERVATION and a statement of fact!

Those of us using timecode vinyl solutions and traditional turntablist/dj equipment, specifically turntables, and doing more than just pressing play, putting the needle on the record, beat matching, and riding the pitch are called Visual Turntablists practicing the art of Visual Turntablism!

Visual Juggling, Visual Beat Juggling, Visual Scratching, Visual Drop Mixing, etc. with or without synchronized audio and video will remind the "viewers" that they are in the presence of a live performance (more "light show" as norway described it with a much bigger "WOW!" effect) and NOT just watching a simple, pre-taped like "broadcast" (again, as norway has accurately described).

Don't get me wrong, those who aren't using turntables but still take steps to be more creative and add some live skills and WOW! factor to their performance in the form of audio and video manipulation, synchronized or not, are artists as well. Just not Turntablists (obviously) and therefore couldn't be Visual Turntablists because of the lack of a form of true vinyl control and turntables.

Visual Turntablists will be differntiated, first and foremost by using 12" form factor vinyl (analog, timecode, or both) and traditional equipment (primarily turntable), from VJ's, VDJ's and just regular DJ's who may incorporate visual imagery and/or video (e.g. music videos) with audio (synchronized or not) but without the use of vinyl records and turntables on which vinyl records can be used and more importantly, manipulated beyond only beat matching and pitch slider adjustments.

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

发表时间 Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 6:03 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Me? as an Idealist I prefer the idea of Visual mixing over Music video Mixing, I find most music videos boring, raunchy and worse; irelevant to the song and the club environment, that's my opinion on the majority anyway.

I find that a very good song you hear in a club, is often spoilt when you see the Video, because Music for me is about memories and experience, and I find that Video replaces the memory part, i.e when I hear that song I think of the video, not that great night out I had in 2002 for example.

That's just my opinion anyway.

From a business perspective, Video/Visual Mixing is and should be implemented differently from venue to venue, I'm used to working at Venues that Employ VJs, It's a job, there are thousands of them, and I don't expect the concept of me Mixing Music videos and firing the VJ will appeal to the club manager.

Then what about DJs who play music which doesn't have a music Video? Dance music DJs for instance, the type of Venues these guys play at employ VJs.

So it's important to remember that Screens will be utilized differently from Venue to Venue and Act to Act. Some DJs will control the screens themselves, whilst others wont, the VJ will.

发表时间 Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 8:45 pm
I've seen a positive reaction in my club since I started playing videos. I work in a strip club where people are suppose to be looking at the girls and not the videos! But it does keep the customers attention if they are interested in the girl on stage, or there is no girl sitting with them. It also gives the girls and customers something to talk about. (Especially if I play a racy video.) I also create motion ads to inform our customers about our different nights, and for promotions. Videos works great for me, I can't see ever going back to straight music.

发表时间 Tue 30 Jan 07 @ 9:22 pm
71%