快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Hard-drive RPM's

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I am still awaiting the OS X release. I have been told from internal sources spring 2007.

I do have a hardware question: I am planning to trade-in my older Macbook pro for the new 2.33GHz dual core Mac with 3 gigs of RAM. My question is: Based on other users experiences, is it better to have a 100GB Hard Drive @ 7200 rpm or a 200GB Hard Drive @ 4200 rpm. Does the software really depend upon the speed of the hard-drive to access the songs? or is it designed not to need the high RPM's quite as much. Of course there will be a difference between PC and Mac because the OS X/Unix architecture in my opinion more efficient. Faster RPM's will always perform better even though they generate allot of heat. The difference is will the songs load annoyingly slow with the slower RPM's. Thanks.

发表时间 Thu 02 Nov 06 @ 11:47 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
its like all os and systems ,

the faster the rpm ,

the quicker all files will load

however a 4200 is still very fast

and double space gota weigh up what you want more

its possible you can get a 200 gig with a higher rpm

发表时间 Thu 02 Nov 06 @ 11:52 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I wouldn't have thought the drive speed is that critical, it's not as if the tracks play directly off the drive - they're buffered into RAM first...

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 12:55 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
the faster the disk spins the faster it goes into ram

so its important that your mac aslo has as much ram as possible

remember a computer/mac will always run as fast as the slowest component

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 1:02 am
Thank you for the responses. At this time Mac does not offer a faster 200 gig hard-drive in the Macbook pro. They probably will later on. The heat issue on a faster drive is a bit of a concern, especially at a very warm or a humid venue for extended periods. Personally, I have not noticed a huge difference with the ability to load between a 7200 RPM drive vs. a 5400 RPM drive. Mind you I currently have two gigs of RAM, and there are differences within the OS X/Unix architecture and how it accesses the information stored on the drive. I have not dropped down to a 4200 RPM before. I will have to run a few clock times to see.

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 9:18 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)