快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: My greatest dj challenge

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I've been djing for about 2 years now, and have gotten pretty good at working my crowds, but tommorow night i have a unique challenge.
An organization is renting out a club, and throwing a party there. The people invited are all hip hop/rnb/down south fans. I'm used to this crowd. Play for them all the time. Now, the problem is the CLUB is a DANCEHALL club, and i'm now being told a large number of their regulars are showing up.

The problem is this. Americans (my main crowd), have a reggae/dancehall tolerance of 10/15 minutes. The carribean people/fans i'm told have an even lower tolerance for hiphop/rnb.

Hopefully between now and then the idea that lets me keep everyone happy will hit me.

It would be so much simpler if each group had more of a 50/50 or even 40/60 tolerance for the other's music.
Sadly, this is not the case. If you guys never hear from me again, I probably didnt make it out of the party alive.

Goodbye cruel world!

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 3:37 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Don't worry, I do this "Mixed type" styles of people all the time and no problem at all! You just watch the crowd to sense what is the best to play at the moment. You have several options for this type of gig:
To satisfy your RNB people to the full (85% their music)
Or make it 50-50% like a machine, regardless what thay say.
You can't satisfy everyone in this type of gig, and that is nature. Don't worry, you will be back here alive!

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:24 pm
I think im going to try to satisfy the hiphop crowd (Since thats the private party audience). I wanted to do it all to maybe impress the owner into giving me a gig.

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:36 pm
What I normally do before a gig like this is do remixes (mashups as some call it). Use acid or similar app and put some hip hop tracks on dancehall beats and vice versa. Try to stick to popular songs of both genre. Also try to put variety and spice in the mix, don't dwell too long in one genre.

Works all the time! Good luck!

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 5:10 pm
I tend to do that live, but In this situation i might prepare in advance

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 5:15 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Good luck dude!

It's a common problem though - my friday night residency is branded as a hip-hip/r&b/dance night. There's a lot of potential genres and sub-genres of music that could be included within that catch-all description, but generally I find that the crowd are either into "urban" music (by which I mean the hip-hop, r&b, never-gets-much-faster-than-115bpm kinda thing) and "dance" music (funky house, trance, hardhouse, old school etc). There's very few people in that crowd that like both, so apart from the odd crossover track that seems to tick the boxes in both musical camps (and they're rare!) you can't keep em all happy at the same time! You just have to read the floor and try to rotate it round a bit. Incidentally, don't forget that club managers like it when you "rotate" the floor - if the crowd stays on the dancefloor all night, they're not buying drinks!

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 5:39 pm
Just play country

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 9:13 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Maybe work out a Ratio, you seem to have the figures there ;), Maybe 3 Hip Hop tracks to 1 dancehall track and your best friend has gotta be cross-over remixes, Reggae beats with hip hop vocals or whatever, also try some Urban Dance or House remixes of Urban, used correctly they can really take the roof off. Also bear in mind, the broader the audience the less deep you should go, its summer keep it light ;).

发表时间 Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 1:51 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
shawnweber wrote :
Just play country

Than he won't come back here alive for sure LOL :)))

发表时间 Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 6:31 am
MeikelPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Or mix everything together to get your own unique style for this event where everybody will be satisfied with.

I am remembering the same situation was solved in the 1980s movie "XANADU" between classic swing music and modern rock music in an exellent way. Does somebody here remember this scene of that movie or am I the oldest man here around? ;-)

Cheers and crossing the fingers for a succesfull event for all!

DJ Mike L

发表时间 Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 2:45 pm

发表时间 Sat 22 Jul 06 @ 5:33 pm
good to hear, and that you are still alive... guess u did not play country then !;) heheh

发表时间 Sat 22 Jul 06 @ 5:40 pm
absolutely not

发表时间 Sat 22 Jul 06 @ 5:44 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Looks Like you did pretty good....where the after hours pics? LOL

发表时间 Sat 22 Jul 06 @ 10:02 pm
btw, TCCD and my new u46dj was amazing. I was doing things I could never do before! Amazing response.

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 6:19 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Can't wait to see what goodies they have at the expo

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 6:22 pm
My scary-est gig was one I had to do for a bunch of REAL hard core bikers. I was playing all the stuff I thought they would dance to like C.C.R. and Canned Heat, Grand Funk, 50's stuff, Rolling Stones etc. After about an hour of these guys staring at me and glowering with never more than 4 people on the floor at the same time I got a request. It was for "In the Mood" by Glen Miller. I asked the girl if she wanted to see me get killed. She insisted and even said she would stand there while I played it.UNREAL, but the dance floor filled up and was never empty again the rest of the night. Sometimes its the requests that do it.

I am glad to see that your gig went off without a problem too. Looks like all had fun.

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 10:34 pm
@Raw-Bear

I had a similar experience. It was a Harley Davidson Rally with loads of Biker types there. Beautiful bikes with all the saddle bags and stuff. The biggest Rally in the UK. Played all the stuff you did, but they looked at me as if I was stupid. In the end I resorted to just normal oldish 70s disco stuff and that was only partially OK. . I eventually realised that these were all guys who were bank manager types and if they had ever known how to relax, they had forgotten. All they were interested in were the bikes I guess, not the whole lifestyle. They certainly weren't Hell's Angels, some of whom I've come across at other gigs and were great. Wish I'd tried Glenn Miller. ~Don't think I've ripped that yet. ;-)

Once did a WW2 costume party and I used some sound effects of sirens and bombs dropping. All the crowd were in WW2 clothes and they all got under the tables when the sound effects started. Good fun.

A

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 11:27 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)