快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: USB2 Hard Drive Failure

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Got to my gig last night. Plugged everything in, but the laptop wasn't recognising the external USB2 hard drive. Tried everything I could think of, but couldn't get it to work so had to do the whole night without video :(

I got home and put the hard drive in my desktop PC and windows found bad sectors, I think it's recovered them all the video's seem to be working again. But I don't trust the stability of the hard drive anymore. I don't want to turn up for another gig and not have any video's to play.

Can anyone suggest what type of storage device I buy next? Ideally a desktop PC would be great, but the Dj booth is only small and I wouldn't have time to get it all set up, nevermind carting it around with me.

I have heard fire wire is faster for external hard drives. Would it make much difference?

I currently have around 1500 video's 80 Gig of music files all in .avi encoded with 3ivX codec.

What is the biggest laptop hard drive you can get? I currently have 40Gig in mine, and that's just about full with Mp3s. So buying a bigger hard drive for the laptop might be better, then I could store the most used video's on it.

I have an old PC at home I suppose I could leave set up perminantly, but it's not powerfull enough to run VDJ. However, would the video's run better if I stored them on the hard drive of the old PC, then ran them over a network ? Do you get 100/mbps with LAN? Would this be better than the USB2 option?

发表时间 Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 8:52 pm
External USB harddrives are good storage... just make sure you treat it like your laptop...

And dont get IBM DeskStar drives (commonly called "death star" because of the problems with it)

Harddrive failure can happen to internal as well as external drives.
Although its not supposed to happen, it can... and backup drive is for sure good to have in case.

There aren't any alternatives to harddrives really..

Difference between firewire and USB2 drives are not much. And LAN would not at all be better than external drive.

发表时间 Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 9:26 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
FireWire is a little faster than USB2. And you will need free USBs for external devices like controllers. Laptops usually have 3 USBs. This is in most cases not enoigh.

发表时间 Fri 21 Apr 06 @ 11:30 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
This is exactly why I don't use laptops. I have enough stress at a gig, I don't need the added stress of usb in a bad mood. I would look into sff systems.

发表时间 Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 2:05 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I went to a gig sometime with everything i needed ...except a usb cable to connect the external drive...

发表时间 Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 2:29 am
lol :D me too!
Actually i had firewire and forgot it at home. So my usbs were busy and i had to copy all mp3s to laptop with usb before gig and delete all my techno collection which i didn't need at party :D

Now i am making a case for all my equipement (including external HD). Will post pics in blog soon.

发表时间 Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 10:51 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
he he... me too.., but my case will be small as possible, because dj booths, become small too, day by day, shame on club owners...

btw. i have an external drive with bad sectors too, but i trust it as they are marked as "bad" after scan disk and most important, i have backup(s) of this drive.
But it needs to check the disk often as bad sectors usually ...multiplied

发表时间 Sat 22 Apr 06 @ 1:52 pm
elite1PRO InfinityMember since 2005
Had my share of usb drive problems too. With my laptop, I can not run S-Video out and an external usb drive at the same time, I have to use the firewire drive. There is some kind of conflict on the mb that causes me to lose communication with the external drive if I use the usb one and am running video out.

发表时间 Mon 24 Apr 06 @ 10:18 pm
maybe it is an irq problem.
But it's better to use firewire.

发表时间 Tue 25 Apr 06 @ 9:00 am
DjGazUKPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I've seen a 120 Gig hard drive I might invest in for the laptop.

I think I will swap, at the minute the MP3s are on the laptop hard drive, and video's on the external drive. If I get a big drive I can put most of the video's on that and leave the Mp3s on the external drive. I guess that will make it run better.

Also Video out didn't always work for me! So I'm guessing all the problems I had with that must have been to do with the USB drive too!

I'm also buying a new desktop PC for when I'm mobile DJ'ing, but I've never had a dual core PC before. I currently have 3.2 GHz processor. Would a 4200 dual core PC be as fast as this and work as well or better?

发表时间 Fri 28 Apr 06 @ 2:57 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)