快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Wow and Flutter

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

tunicPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi all,

I'm guessing this is the place to post....I've just got my TC Vinyls and recently bought a pair of second hand Technics SL1200MK2s. I loaded up VDJ straight away the second I got in and started spinning - and very please with the control and response I get :o)

However, I am new to vinyl DJing having been using CDs for the last 15 months and VDJ on and off for 18 months. Hence I am used to the digital absolute and not to analogous abnomolies.

I've read elsewhere on this forum that I should probably expect a little wow and flutter, as in varying BPMs but I am unsure as to if I am getting an unusally high variation of BPMs. Between almost every other beat the variance is like from say 127.6 to 128.4 - that is a variation of nearly a whole BPM on every beat. It is not even consistent - sometimes it goes higher or lower. Is this usual? I notice the vinyl themselves seem to be bowed more than other records I have, specifically a pair of new records I bought the other day whilst waiting for my TCV to arrive. Could this affect it? Looking at the side profile it seems to go up and down quite a lot.

I was really struggling to keep to tracks in time when playing around earlier, although I must point out it I didn't spend huge amounts of time. But from my experience with CDs - 0.5% can make a lot of difference.

Does this look like the decks are in need of a good service, or is such a wide variation usual for Technics decks? I wouldn't particuarly want to get my decks fine tuned significantly beyond club configuration so if it is usual I will try to live with it. If not I will seek a local audio tech shops as soon as possible.

Anoher almost silly question - my needles quite audibly project what is being picked up - which in the case of TCV is a high pitch wine. Do all needles do this or is it time to replace them? (needles don't affect wow and flutter to they?).

Thanks

发表时间 Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 9:59 pm
Hi again,

I've also read it might not just be "Wow and Flutter" and that friction on the needle can also cause speed variations. I've a 100% signal though but the previous owner looks like was some sort of scratch DJ, hence might not be appropriate needless for what I want (they are Technics though). Is it worth me changing? Needles are quite expensive so wouldn't want to do so if not necessary.

发表时间 Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 10:24 pm
well its normal for you to get the fluctuation although 0.5% is quite high if you ask me. I would definatelly go and get your decks tuned up. your fluctuation should only be around 0.1% - 0.3% MAX on 1200s.

getting your decks tuned up will help keep that fluctuation right. for needles just make sure your getting 100% signal and you should be alright. its the tracking that is most important. If your hearing the wine sound from your speakers you must mute your soundcard's line ins so you will only hear the music from the speakers although all needles will give you the sound if you hold your ears near the decks ;) some needles are louder then others but shouldn't effect the playing in any way.

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

发表时间 Mon 13 Mar 06 @ 11:07 pm
Which brings me to my next question - does anyone know where to get this sort of thing sorted in/around Surrey in the UK? Would a hi-fi shop know what they are doing? Does anyone know what causes it, i.e. is it a dodgey motor? Both decks seem to vary by similar amounts.

Also, it is not likely to be pitch variations is it with Technics decks? The quartz pitch control means it shouldn't vary - is that correct?

发表时间 Tue 14 Mar 06 @ 9:55 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Tunic,

Please don't get worried about this. It's perfectly normal. Quarz means exact timing but mechanical part's and motors are not exact... welcome to the analog world.

You can use VDJ in ±34% in order to see less variation in the display. You will still get ±8% of pitch adjustment, because that is what your turntables can handle. With Technics SL-1200MK2 you can left a mix for 3 min without a problem even if you see that variations on the display of VDJ.

Try and Enjoy.

发表时间 Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 5:28 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I've played for a bit longer today and I'm sure I will get used to it - though it does make life a little more difficult than I'm used to on CDs :o)

I've a few other issues but I'll post them seperately.

发表时间 Sat 18 Mar 06 @ 10:23 pm
DJFocusPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Tunic,

I had the EXACT same problem when i used my brand TTX and man did it it irritate me. ACW had given me the same advice way back(thanks man by the way), and i found the best way to combat this problem as well is to sync the song on the program, adjust the cbg's while the song is playing if they are not perfect, and then use beatlock on the program. I have found this works pretty well for me. You could try this, basically syncing, locking, and matching on the program. Has anyone used this method as well

发表时间 Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 6:43 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
DJFocus,

I do that too. When some songs don't have the right CBG in the right places I manually move it to get a match and then mix it as we know...

Good I haved help you guys. Good Luck!

发表时间 Sun 19 Mar 06 @ 7:29 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
if your songs are lined up and BPMS are perfectly matched (ether on the decks or within VDJ) your songs should not be out more than 1/4 of a beat after even 5 mins of playing. dont judge your wow on what the numbers say. match 2 long tracks and see how long they stay in line for. if its less than 30 secs you deffinately have problems........ try beatmatching 2 normal vinyls (if you cant ask a mate) and see how well they match up

发表时间 Mon 20 Mar 06 @ 12:51 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)