快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Result of MP3 and illegal file sharing

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

ikkeHome userMember since 2003
First of all: I know MP3!=something illegal, but thanks to MP3 the music industry is really harmed, as you can see in the upcoming example.
Lots of people say record companies have enough money, they aren't harmed by downloading music, and maybe this is true for big record companies (I don't say it IS true, but it could be). These people start downloading all their music, but all of a sudden they also start to download music from small companies and labels, as there exist a lot of them in the dance-scene.
Yesterday (I know, a little late maybe, but I've been ill and internetconnectionless for some time) I saw a topic which almost made me cry: Bonzai and Lightning records is DEAD!!!
Bonzai, and motherlabel Lightning Records, are both belgian (altough Bonzai Italy and co also exist), and is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) trance labels in here. Also labels like XTC were under LR.
People like M.I.K.E (Push, MIKE, Liquid Overdose,...), Yves de Ruyter, LVee and other superb trance artist lost their beloved label!!!
On some sites you can read that illegal file sharing is the reason of the bankrupt, maybe that isnt true, but I think (who am I?) that it shure is a part of the reason, sorry.
Don't know what you others think about this business?

FYI:
- homepage.ntlworld.com/martin.wilkinson3/sigs/lightning.jpg
- www.musicman.be
- www.trance.nu
- www.mike.be
- www.bonzai.be

Greetz, Ikke

发表时间 Sat 29 Mar 03 @ 3:11 pm
i fully agree with you! but i personally buy more music than i download but at one stage it was the other way round!

but yes i do think mp3 sharing is harming the "smaller" labels!

发表时间 Sat 29 Mar 03 @ 9:11 pm
The problem is price and convenience. I would like to gladly buy music that's out there .... however most of it is on Vinyl in which has to be purchased from the States. That means I have to pay shipping and customs. Screw that.

Most CD's over here sell for about $20 canadian ... Alot of the time I will only want 1 or 2 songs from CD that has about 10 - 15 songs.

发表时间 Sun 30 Mar 03 @ 1:59 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hence why music companies sould finally adopt a digital transport medium for distributing music. I'd gladly pay a couple of dollars per track if it means I can purchase ONLY the tracks *I* want at the highest quality possible. The smaller independent labels sould be able to adopt this easily and bring it into the mainstream, but probably wouldn't make too much of a difference in the music world since the majority of music buyers purchase mainstream radio tracks, which as we all know, is controlled by the RIAA. And since the RIAA is dead set against a digital download medium because it would cut into thier profits, well... it'll be a long time before anything comes around.

Grimm

发表时间 Sun 30 Mar 03 @ 4:20 pm
Well, I buy more music now than before all the MP3 era as now I can listen to it prior the purchase. Before, I was limited by the possibility to spend money on something I would have not liked.
The main difference is that I buy less shit than before, all the 'hip' music of the moment that people are going to request for 3 months in parties, I no longer buy it. I prefer spending my money on better things.

Just meditate this stats: in 2002, the 5 artists that were the most downloaded, were the same 5 that sold the most ...

发表时间 Sun 30 Mar 03 @ 11:34 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I download most of my music. But the main reason for this is my music taste. If i were to try and make a music collection of everything I like it would be impossible. Certain songs or albums have become redundant and are incredibly difficult to find. For instance it took me 4 months (even with Napster when it was up, and all my local record stores) to get an origional version of Liquid's Sweet Harmony.

Basically what im saying is that when one has a music taste as diverse as mine, buying singles or albums to accomodate everything I need to spin could take decades. If some company would sell legal mp3's and have any song ever written I would be all for it, but the fact is they dont.

发表时间 Mon 31 Mar 03 @ 12:26 am
I download all my tunes. The most of the tunes I like come out on vinyl only. There's not much stuff on CDs except ones that already have been mixed by Djs. So if you want full length tunes (especially remixes) and don't want to buy turntables (I don't) downloading is the only way. I have no problem paying for the tunes I like if they were offered on-line in the highest quality.
Besides that's the whole AtomixMp3 idea. Mixing full length MP3s. The easiest and sometimes the only way to get them is on-line through some ftp or a file sharing program.

发表时间 Tue 01 Apr 03 @ 6:54 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I wait for the day they start selling high quality, all hard to find mp3 singles online. For me, availability of CD singles and high quality MP3s are totally equal. Untill then there is no easy way out for a DJ that plays MP3s or CDs. Most of the singles come out only on vinyl. Now sure they are available online, but majority of them are just poorly recorded rips. I would have to spend a lot of money on high quality vinyl recording equipment to get it even a little close to CD quality sound. The only thing left to do is rip CD singles, which are available about 100 to 1 vinyl at the stores, maybe even less. This is what keeps me from playing at the bigger clubs, on the other hand I love Atomixmp3 and I have fun with it at home every day.

发表时间 Tue 01 Apr 03 @ 7:18 pm
Bostonvlad & Jukesy -> AMEN !!!!

I 2000% agree with the both of you. There are sooo many rare singles you can find only on MP3 format. I cannot find a copy of 'Magic Feet' ANYWHERE accept on Kazaa. Same with Crooklyn Clain - Where the ladies at. There are soo many songs out there i want in which I can only find on vinyl !! BAH !! Why should I have to be subjected to turntables just so I can listen to music that I like.

And when I do find CD singles/compilations (like promo-only) I like to purchase ... But now I have to be a professional DJ ... go f-ck yourself !!! Apparently I now have to give up my day job just so I can buy music that I like ???

It's just too bad soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many files on P2P sound like crap. It's one thing to do vinyl rips, as it's hard to get CD-Sound ... but how hard is it to do CD-Rips people ???

发表时间 Tue 01 Apr 03 @ 8:43 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
another thing to add to this debate is that:

most cds/ albums/ vinyls can only be bought once released. Unless you are a big dj who gets sent free promos and white labels. I dont like playing songs that everyon hears on the radio every five minutes or is at number one I like to be ahead of the chart industry and to do this Unless I but rare expensive vinyls searching for music on kazaa is the eaiest way.

Jukesy

发表时间 Tue 01 Apr 03 @ 8:53 pm
abnormPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I honestly believe if artists really wanted to get their music to make money for them they should start selling every new single online in high quality MP3 format along with vinyl. I am sure people will be glad to pay for their work, get a legal, high quality version and feel good about supporting the artist. Have to get with the times, or loose money... Online record stores already have samples of every track available, imagine how much more money they can make if they start selling both MP3 and Vinyl versions. Yes, it will require much more webspace and bandwidth, but it will more then pay for itself in the long run. People will share their music anyway, might as well make good money on it.

发表时间 Tue 01 Apr 03 @ 9:34 pm
Well, I don't think "download what you like" will happen anytime soon even if you pay for it. In my opinion the main reason is that out of the whole album for the most artists only couple of tunes are good, the rest are crap. When you buy a CD you're being forced to pay for the crap as well. And that's a lot of money. RIAA won't let it happened. But then again, I might be wrong.

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 7:16 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Here's a point to think of tho.... A working DJ plays these songs out in public. If someone hears a song they like, they come over to the booth and ask, who is this?? or what's the name of this song. Even though the vast majority of my music was encoded by me, from my CD & vinyl archives, face it, to the music industry, I am a marketing tool. You may hear a song you like on the radio, but if they don't name it, it hasn't been marketed. If you're out dancing, or just standing around at the bar and I play it, you can come ask me about it. I feel that by buying th CD's, I have the right to play it out in the bar. However, I do not have the right to share it with others. If someone, (even my own sister) asks me to make a CD for them... I politely say no, and direct them to the nearest record store.
I also think it would be very WRONG of me to put together 10 sound systems and duplicate this hard drive 10 times, and send out 10 DJ's. It's up to each DJ to collect his own music.

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 7:29 pm
Dj Rick

May I ask you why even bother converting everything to MP3 if you got it on CDs or vinyl. Just because it easier to carry a laptop? And spend all that time converting and losing the quality?

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 8:40 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I guess you summed it up... however, I don't notice any quality loss, and yes, it's much easier to carry a laptop than it is to carry 20,000 songs on any other format.
However, if there is any loss in quality, I think the trade off is that I'm carrying my entire archive of music, rather than selecting what I may actually need to play.

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 03 @ 10:33 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)