快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: MASTER VOLUME OVERRIDE VIA MIDI COMMAND
Hello,
I have a bit of a different question I was hoping someone might offer a suggestion for.

I would like to setup VDJ so that I can use a MIDI controller to send a command to kill the master volume in the event of an emergency. However, I am not looking for a cut or an abrupt kill. I was hoping to set it up so that if a button was pushed the master volume would fade out. Does anyone know a string command that would kill the volume slowly that I could map to an external button?

Thank you for your help!

发表时间 Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 5:28 am
For MOST controllers these days such a solution will NOT work.
The reason is that "master volume" is fake.
In other words, VirtualDJ always sends FULL volume on the controller, and the controller "MASTER VOLUME" knob attenuates the signal on hardware level.
VirtualDJ uses the MIDI message of the "MASTER VOLUME" knob, only to display a graphic movement of the knob on the skin, and not actually apply any kind of volume adjustment.

Therefore, using a script to control master volume, will not have ANY impact at all on the sound.

You can "bypass" this by disabling the "fake master" status for your controller, but it's STRONGLY not advised to do so.
If you do so, your master volume knob will now control the sound with a squared sound curve since BOTH the software and the controller will affect the volume at the same time.
This effectively means that at lower settings the sound will be too weak and the master volume knob movement/position will have very low impact. On the other hand, at higher settings the sound will be moderate loud and the movement/position of the knob will have a far more dramatic impact.
Finally, in general, you'll end up with a lower master volume output, and you may also bring your system to a state where the controller may actively amplify (instead of attenuate) a weak signal, to achieve the same result that would otherwise achieve by attenuating a strong signal.
Generally, having your controller actively amplifying it's master output signal is not a good position to be at.

发表时间 Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 11:31 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
depends on the controller and if using windows, the volume plugin would probably cover this easiest.

发表时间 Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 11:51 am
This is very helpful. Thank you both for chiming in. We use Macbook pro's and tthe Denon DJ Prime Go units for Cheer competitions. Essentially, we need a "kill switch" that can sever audio in the event of an injury or sickness. I was hoping to give a "button" to the client's event director since they alone only have the power to stop the show.

We have been doing these events for years and have been using a different method but that introduces human delay/error.

It sounds like I might have to just use a digital mixer in between the controller and PA. Thank you both for chiming in.

发表时间 Wed 24 Jan 24 @ 4:51 pm