快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: Database Question
So I'm moving my files to a new location on my computer, and of course, VDJ can't find everything. I've "recursed" the new location, VDJ is scanning, but SOME songs in Playlists still can't be found, unless I manually re-link them. That would be a big task, but guess I could manage that.

Past that, because VDJ doesn't actually write file metadata into all the files, some files being scanned have little or no metadata. Re-creating all that would be a bigger task, but again, I guess I could manage.

But my question is... when VDJ is scanning files, does it look at the database to see if the file it is scanning is missing from the database and change the file location in the database, or does it just automatically add it as a new file?

The really odd thing is in a playlist, when I use the RE-LOCATE function, VDJ brings me to the exact file in the right folder automatically. I'm guessing there might be a way to automate that process....?

I've got a good back up and might just revert to what I had before, but am still curious about the best way to move files and maintain their location in the database, and hence the files in playlists.....

发表时间 Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 2:22 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
As long as the file name and file size are the same, VDJ should find the old entry in the database and replace it with the new location, preserving all the information that was there.
If relocate finds the file, but it did not happen automatically that indicates that the file name is the same, but the playlist did not have file size information, or it was not identical, so VDJ was not 100% sure that it is the same file.

发表时间 Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 3:06 am
Not 100% sure. I get that part.

As it turns out, although a bit time consuming, it was super easy enough from a playlist to select multiple missing files at the same time, VDJ automatically points to the right NEW file location for the first file, I hit OK, and then VDJ goes to the next file and I hit OK, and ... rinse, lather, and repeat. In total, about 15 minutes to get this straightened out. The only "mess" left are all my vinyl transfers, which are AIFF files, and have no metadata, so I'm guessing I'll have to re-enter that info. All in all, this could have been much worse. Happy it was pretty easy to sort this out.

发表时间 Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 2:57 pm
And to be more clear, I get the part the VDJ may not be 100% sure the file is the right one.... :)

发表时间 Mon 08 Jan 24 @ 7:07 pm
I have a similar question in that I have had to move a lot of files and now more than just a few are missing. "Remove missing files from the database" definitely make the PC make noise but I haven't figured out how to get it to do a better job at it determining which files are missing. I suspect it may have to do with deleting files that were found to be missing on the last start up of the program except that it doesn't seem to get any better with subsequent startups.
The difference in my question and the one posted is that my files are in a brand new place so when I select to relocate missing files the original spot doesn't exist. So if I try to "go to the folder" nothing will happen and if I "Open In Explorer" the default page for "this spot doesn't exist anymore" will open. I've said all of that to ask this. How do I reset the database as if it were a brand new install? I have considered deleting the database files. but VDJ gets extremely upset when I do that and pouts for an extended amount of time during witch no folders will open no files will load (drag and drop does work). Where the problem really shows up is in the database folders. Mine seem to be polluted with dead-end shortcuts that I would love to figure out how to delete more efficiently than one at a time. Is this possible?

发表时间 Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:04 am
I have a similar question in that I have had to move a lot of files and now more than just a few are missing. "Remove missing files from the database" definitely make the PC make noise but I haven't figured out how to get it to do a better job at it determining which files are missing. I suspect it may have to do with deleting files that were found to be missing on the last start up of the program except that it doesn't seem to get any better with subsequent startups.
The difference in my question and the one posted is that my files are in a brand new place so when I select to relocate missing files the original spot doesn't exist. So if I try to "go to the folder" nothing will happen and if I "Open In Explorer" the default page for "this spot doesn't exist anymore" will open. I've said all of that to ask this. How do I reset the database as if it were a brand new install? I have considered deleting the database files. but VDJ gets extremely upset when I do that and pouts for an extended amount of time during witch no folders will open no files will load (drag and drop does work). Where the problem really shows up is in the database folders. Mine seem to be polluted with dead-end shortcuts that I would love to figure out how to delete more efficiently than one at a time. Is this possible?

发表时间 Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:05 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
First make sure VDJ knows about the new location by using Recurse or Add To Search DB on the new location.
Then in your playlists 'Relocate' should be able to find the correct path and fix them.

If there's no important information in the database then you can indeed just delete the database.
Normally that should be quite fast, unless you have a very slow computer, slow hard drive, or there's a problem with your hard drive.

发表时间 Thu 11 Jan 24 @ 7:15 am
Thank M8!!

发表时间 Fri 19 Jan 24 @ 11:14 pm