快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Questions on Gain of a song

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I notice in Version 8, by using the tag editor there is an automatically filled field called "gain". Im hoping this is useful to me, I have 2 questions:

1: If song 1 has a gain of -6db and song 2 has a again of -4db, how much louder is song 2, so I can adjust the volume when I mix it.

2: Is it possible to express this gain in software as a non decibel value (i.e. a fraction of percentage)

3: Whilst this is useful, its a bit of a pain to have to go into the tag editor to get the gain for say 20 songs. Is there anyway this can be displayed in the browser as one of the fields?

Thanks
Jason

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 11:35 am
This will be the auto gain value that's determined during initial analysis of the song. When you load a song on a deck for the first time, VirtualDJ works out the gain required to normalise the track to 0dB along with BPM, key, etc. This is then stored in the database and remembered for the next time that you play the song.

The gain value is above is the adjustment required to normalise the song to 0dB, so you should not normally need to make any adjustments when mixing the two songs. The only exception is in rare cases where the analysed value is incorrect (E.g: Song with excessively loud and quiet sections), but you can manually adjust the gain appropriately once the track has been loaded on a deck and your adjustment will be remembered for the next time.

Unlike playing from audio CD's or vinyl records where you must adjust the gain appropriately for every track that you play, in DJ software like VirtualDJ you do not need to do this because the gain has already been determined and stored in the database.

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 11:55 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
3 replies

1 A difference of 6dB is twice as loud, 12dB 4 times as loud, 24dB 16 times as loud, it's logarithmic.
2 Possibly with 0dB as 100%, but dB is logarithmic so still wont make sense .
3 When you load a track it displays the dB near the BPM
4 The autoGain option set to auto + remember will save you a lot of pain.

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 11:57 am
Thanks, is this still the case if you use an external mixer i.e. the normalising gain we still apply. I am finding I am having to adjust quite a lot?
Thanks

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 12:05 pm
locodog wrote :
A difference of 6dB is twice as loud

Twice as loud to your ears, or twice the signal level?

To sound twice as loud to your ears, it needs a 10dB increase. Actually providing twice as much power (i.e. using two speakers instead of one) only gives a 3dB increase.

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 12:10 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Bugger I mean't 3dB, It has been 12 years since I learnt that, I thought my scale was a bit slow when I wrote it.
-1000 points for being wrong.

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 14 @ 7:36 pm
Thanks for all your replies. It seems that either the auto gain is a bit flaky or when using an external mixer it doesn't work. I notice when I cross fade between two tunes, often one is quite ab it louder than the other (around 20%-30% by guess). So can anyone recommend how to prevent this, I have my crossfader on "linear" - maybe this is wrong, or is there any other visual or audiable way to compare the song thats playing and the one you want to mix in so to be able to manually adjust the gain (on external mixer) on the one that is coming in.

Thanks

发表时间 Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 3:27 am
Jbryant61 wrote :
when using an external mixer it doesn't work.

Ah, I didn't see you mention an external mixer!

Adion posted something the other day about this, because someone was having autogain issues with their hardware...

Found it -> read this thread

发表时间 Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 3:51 am
Autogain isn't perfect for me, its set to auto, I use a VMS4.1, so analogue mixer.

发表时间 Fri 06 Jun 14 @ 6:45 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)