快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Widows 7 32bit or 64bit???

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hello all,

I am a new Virtual DJ user and have had a ton of problems. I'm now down to the knitty gritty and trying to tweek my system so that I don't have any more crashes.

I've stopped using my Mac becuase I couldn't get anything to work right.
Purchased a Gateway FX series laptop which had Vista 64bit installed.
Couldn't get 64bit to work right so I down graded to 32bit vista.
Vista Sucked.. so I upgraded to Windows 7 32bit which works much better... BUT... Window 7 32 bit only allows max 4 gb of ram. My Nvidia GeForce 9800GTS sucks up 1 gig of that ram dedicated for the GPU so I wasn't sure if I should upgrade to 64 bit os allowing up to 8 gb of ram.

I use Virtual for mobile events. I spin videos and audio, use the camera video effect for live simulcast, slide show for photos at the event (we call them Zap Shots), clipbank for graphics as well as a ton of the other video effects and trasnistion.

My last crash was on staturday and it is truly unacceptable. I need to get my system solid ASAP. I can't run these events on the edge of my seat everytime I work on virtual.

For info on my last crash please see (- Topic: Crash Report... Please Help -)

Any real advice if Windows 7 64bit would help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz (2527 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9800M GTS
Driver version: 186.52
Stream processors: 64
Core clock: 600 MHz
Shader clock: 1500 MHz
Memory clock: 799 MHz (1598 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2301 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1277 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.48.00.09
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x1

Running with Timecode CDs through a Native Instrument Audio 8DJ
External Hard Drive: Western Digital 2 TB MY Book

发表时间 Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 4:49 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008

发表时间 Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 8:56 pm
Ok So just so you know i run windows 7 64bit and the newest update of virtual dj 6.0.3 i think.... and it works great never had a problem... suggestions for you yes got 64bit so you can get more ram... W7 will actually let you run something stupid like 256gb of ram so if you have an 8gb limit its all cause the mobo in the laptop... I can make VDJ crash sometimes if i'm running to many video effect and such... looks like you do a lot of that also, so first of get all the video files on the computers hard drive USB is NOT fast enough... I dont care what the VDJ guys say you will always have problem's. Get the biggest fucking hard drive you can and put it in you computer... Next 2tb drive via USB is going to be slow as hell when the computer os trying to find a song.... I would say never go above 500gb if you can.... also if you can get a eSata card that plugs into the PCI Express x1 laptop slot on the side of your laptop then ditch the USB drive and get one with eSata i think you will be golden...

ultraxdjs wrote :
Hello all,

I am a new Virtual DJ user and have had a ton of problems. I'm now down to the knitty gritty and trying to tweek my system so that I don't have any more crashes.

I've stopped using my Mac becuase I couldn't get anything to work right.
Purchased a Gateway FX series laptop which had Vista 64bit installed.
Couldn't get 64bit to work right so I down graded to 32bit vista.
Vista Sucked.. so I upgraded to Windows 7 32bit which works much better... BUT... Window 7 32 bit only allows max 4 gb of ram. My Nvidia GeForce 9800GTS sucks up 1 gig of that ram dedicated for the GPU so I wasn't sure if I should upgrade to 64 bit os allowing up to 8 gb of ram.

I use Virtual for mobile events. I spin videos and audio, use the camera video effect for live simulcast, slide show for photos at the event (we call them Zap Shots), clipbank for graphics as well as a ton of the other video effects and trasnistion.

My last crash was on staturday and it is truly unacceptable. I need to get my system solid ASAP. I can't run these events on the edge of my seat everytime I work on virtual.

For info on my last crash please see (- Topic: Crash Report... Please Help -)

Any real advice if Windows 7 64bit would help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Tommy

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz (2527 MHz)
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium, 32-bit
DirectX version: 11.0
GPU processor: GeForce 9800M GTS
Driver version: 186.52
Stream processors: 64
Core clock: 600 MHz
Shader clock: 1500 MHz
Memory clock: 799 MHz (1598 MHz data rate)
Memory interface: 256-bit
Total available graphics memory: 2301 MB
Dedicated video memory: 1024 MB
System video memory: 0 MB
Shared system memory: 1277 MB
Video BIOS version: 62.94.48.00.09
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x1

Running with Timecode CDs through a Native Instrument Audio 8DJ
External Hard Drive: Western Digital 2 TB MY Book

发表时间 Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 10:41 pm
I do have a secondary 2 tb drive with esata and the port on the laptop so I'll try that out first. Thanks for the advice. These forums get real clutter with user input and it difficult to find a real solution in it all.

发表时间 Tue 12 Jan 10 @ 11:03 pm
let me address a few things..
ultraxdjs wrote :
BUT... Window 7 32 bit only allows max 4 gb of ram. My Nvidia GeForce 9800GTS sucks up 1 gig of that ram dedicated for the GPU

I looked up the series online.. http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529668240.php
all the laptops said they had 1 gig dedicated video memory.. which is plenty..

as too not seeing the full 4 gigs of ram.. thats because of the OS and not the video card.. (depending on the OS and motherboard, most user with 32 bit windows can only 'see' a maximum of 3 to 3.5 gigs of ram.. the rest of the 'space' is used by the OS for registers etc etc)

ultraxdjs wrote :
so I wasn't sure if I should upgrade to 64 bit os allowing up to 8 gb of ram.

Judging by the issues people have been having with the 64 bit OS..
I'm thinking your best bet is too stick with the 32 bit..

Of course 'downgrading' like that, means you REALLY REALLY gotta make sure you get all the correct drivers..

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 12:18 am
djexcalibur wrote :
hard drive USB is NOT fast enough...

firewire and USB 2.0 are pretty much identical in speed..
and their are hundreds of VDJ users that use USB external all the time..

having said that though... :-)
I usually recommend firewire if available.. for the simple reason most users will not have any other 'firewire' connected, and it then guarantees no 'bottlenecks', IE: full speed.. all the time.. ('bottlenecks' can happen with user's who connect multiple devices to their USB ports.. long story.. but trust me..)
and of course Esata blows them both out of the water speed wise..

luckily his laptop has ALL THREE! ;-)

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 12:28 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Almost all have been said, just want to add...

Windows 7 32 bits all the way now to be safe. 64 bits some have issues that have to be fixed in next release, but in the meanwhile 4GB of RAM let you work very good With VirtualDJ Pro, so it seems enough.

Now, I use 3 USB 2.0 hard drives 1.5TB + 1TB + 1TB and have a 500GB 7200 RPM in my laptop. It runs ok with VirtualDJ, and good enough for me for more than one year now. My sound card is in Firewire 400 port.

However, faster is better, so If I could get later a box for eSata with 3 or more hard disk, I would do. For now USB work for me. You need to know that there is USB 3.0 (with 10 times more bandwith and full-duplex comunication) so it could be address this bottle neck issues in many cases.

Another thing is SATA 3 (running at 6GB bandwith and not 3GB of SATA 2 or 1.5 of SATA 1). Faster is better, I'm agree with that, but you could have things working with USB 2.0 if you manage it well.

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 11:44 am
Never heard of a usb bottleneck but I do have a few things hooked in via a usb hub. Native Instrument Audio 8dj, USB video caputre card, usb to my Denon 1700 mixer for midi. I always connect the hard drive directly to the laptop and run it to the right side vs. the left where the hub gets connected. Not sure why I do that... I just do. I'm hoping the faster transfer speeds with Esata will help the situation. I'll let you know once I get some hours behind it.

Seems like i'm sticking with 32 bit for now.

Thanks again..

Tommy

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 11:57 am
I hear it a lot about hard drive speed in these forums lately. I have been a digital DJ for almost 5 years now using USB 2.0. I started with PCDJ Blue which used notoriously bad XML file structure for indexing and would have to wait a couple of minutes to load at the start of the software. That, i can see, would be a great reason for the latest and greatest hard drive speed.

But with VDJs indexing is extremely fast and doesn't need to load that way at start up. And, if I'm not mistaken, does not the song load and play in memory? So where does the speed advantage come into play to use Esata, or USB 3?

Thanks,
Kevin

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 10:35 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Tracks do load quicker, but the biggest reason I use eSATA is the speed of copying to/from the drive for adding new files and backing up :)

发表时间 Wed 13 Jan 10 @ 11:10 pm
I love reading these posts. Nobody really gets it. First of all faster is not better all the time. Virtualdj works better with USB than firewire across the board. I could give you the reasons but it would just confuse everybody. Also you don't need some high end video card with dedicated memory to run everything that virtualdj can do at the same time. This is a myth. I'll go as far as to say a non gaming intel video card is better and will give you less problems. In reference to wheather you should run 32 or 64 bit. The answer lies in what DJ gear such as mixers or controllers you plan to use. Some of them don't have 64 bit drivers. In reference to the ram Windows 7 can see, it's 4 GB in 32 bit and 192 GB in 64 bit. You are still limited by the motherboard and what it supports. Here is the link to the laptop that as far as i am concerned is the best laptop to run Virtualdj on the market right now. Don't be fooled by the price. You will only have to downgrade it to 32 bit depending on your DJ gear. Besides that it will kick serious A@@ out of the box.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B2+Duo+Processor+-+Black/9554528.p?id=1218123528106&skuId=9554528

By the way. I have tested almost every laptop combination there is and I own 10 of the older version of that computer. They only have 4 GB of ram. Every one of those computers runs virtualdj flawlessly every weekend.

发表时间 Thu 14 Jan 10 @ 1:01 am
mpezzella wrote :
I love reading these posts. Nobody really gets it. First of all faster is not better all the time. Virtualdj works better with USB than firewire across the board. I could give you the reasons but it would just confuse everybody. .

please do continue.. and explain..
but please do use small words and not too much 'geek talk', as i am only an electronic engineer and the computers I build for the company I work for are only the much simpler single card industrial computers..
Thus easily confused ;-)

发表时间 Thu 14 Jan 10 @ 1:13 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)