快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: MP3 quality when transfering files

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
When transfering MP3's from hard drive to external to another computer etc, and back and forth....

Does the quality of the file get compromised??

发表时间 Thu 15 May 08 @ 10:21 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Good question, I've always wondered that.

I've come to the conclusion that it doesn't but I would like to know.

发表时间 Thu 15 May 08 @ 12:44 pm
I don't think so.

It's not like recording from progressive video tapes instead of a master, for example, where the quality of the recording quickly degrades from one to the next. Your tracks aren't actual recordings on your hard disk. They are data files.

发表时间 Thu 15 May 08 @ 1:27 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
discjockeydoc wrote :
Your tracks aren't actual recordings on your hard disk. They are data files.

That's what I thought Doc.

发表时间 Thu 15 May 08 @ 1:48 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
discjockeydoc wrote :
I don't think so. Your tracks aren't actual recordings on your hard disk. They are data files.

Well explained.
So the answer is no, you can copy without any loss in quality.

发表时间 Thu 15 May 08 @ 1:52 pm
mzackPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Thanks everyone...

Sorry for the delayed post!

mzack

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 11:55 am
Happy to help ;)

发表时间 Thu 05 Jun 08 @ 4:26 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Loss of quality cannot be caused by transfer errors but can happen prior to transfer. Unfortunately there is a constant problem of your hardrive to have crosslinked files which occur through wear and tear, heat, dropping, etc. The mp3 standard is such that it behaves like CD Audio. Any data which it cannot read, it will drop. This can result in aliasing and/or artifacts. The good thing is that you usually wont notice unless many consecutive bits get damaged.

However, the above does not have anything to do with copying. File copies on a filesystem use CRC checksum which is a system that makes sure that the data which is copied is exactly as the source.

The point is that your files likely are degrading ever-so-slightly over time.

One way around this is to have separate physical hard-drives for storing critical data and having multiple copies. Back everything up on a drive which never gets used except to write new files.

发表时间 Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 11:04 am
khr0nicHome userMember since 2005
The answer is yes. This person explained it. ^

发表时间 Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 11:25 am
khr0nicHome userMember since 2005
No I change my mind the answer depends on certain situations, lol.

发表时间 Mon 09 Jun 08 @ 11:26 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
The answer is still no, if your copy gets damaged, you can't copy it at all.
You are saying that files recorded on a CD/DVD or HD will lose quality in time? So NOT true. It can be damaged, but it will play the same as the day you recorded it or it won't play at all. Simple as that.

发表时间 Sun 15 Jun 08 @ 5:51 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
m8, please check your facts. there is a difference between CD/DVD and HD so dont lump them together. ask any data admin, they dont typically use spinning media for backing up data and prefer tape still because CD/DVD have a limited shelf life of 5-10 years max. You can buy special coated disks that are tested (theoretically) for 100 years but theyre really expensive. The disk coating is a type of metal which oxidizes slowly with time. this means the holes burned in binary configuration will expand with time and eventually the laser wont differentiate between a 1 and 0.

secondly, because the CD reading format for audio is different than data, this means it will drop unplayable bits which degrades quality to an extent. like i said, consecutive read errors result in noticeable loss. for data, this is much less. if you burned mp3 files, the CRC checksum is applied and then your only worry is what i said before about disk oxidation as well as physical media damage (scratched disk).

anyhow, this is OT now. the subject matter is simply about copying. no, copying doesnt change quality, end of story. but there are more things to consider like was the source file damaged to begin with? the only storage state that currently is forever (AFAIK) is the new solidstate drives. the rest, including hard drives need to have data rotated ever so often to prevent data loss.

发表时间 Mon 16 Jun 08 @ 10:47 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)