快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Soundcard choices - USB or Firewire

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

just purchased a new laptop (w Expresscard...so that eliminates the Indigo)....debating on what to use for external cards.....I initially thought USB but am concerned about drop outs, flakiness...although I guess that's a thing of the past...

Looked ay the M Audio Fast trak Pro.....like the fact that it is bus powered - so if there is a power drop, flicker; the unit stays powered. Looked at the Presonus firebox...I see it requires AC, so in the event of a flicker...I might lose sound.....

Even looked at the Behringer UCA202...straightforward plug and play...no drivers needed...

I'm a wedding DJ...so straightforward audio playback is all that's needed...I do want multiple outs so I can run each deck to separate mixer channels and don't want to use onboard card....

Your thoughts?

Pro's and Cons?

Thanks

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 5:29 am
I'd say firewire - less interference with other USB-based devices.

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 7:45 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
All tough they are similar by speed, Firewire has better performance overall.

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 3:58 pm
DGeePRO InfinityMember since 2007
I have the Fast Track Pro and I have to tell you, it sounds great, BUT it is a bugger to get connected. In my opinion the driver, which has not been updated for several years, is not up to the task. I have tried to use the device on 3 different computers and everytime, the driver does not load the first time. The M-Audio control panel always says "Not Connected". I don' t have time to fight with this every single time I start up the computer. So I purchased, on the advice of a friend, the M-Audio Firewire 410. It is great. Connects first time, every time. Sounds fine as well. The only thing I don't like is that extremely bright , flashing blue, LED that is activated when the unit senses that it is not connected to an active Firewire bus, such as when you turn off the laptop. It is really annoying. Other than that, I think you will be pleased. If your laptop has a 6 wire Firewire port, then you won't have to power the unit from it's external power supply. If you have a 4 wire port, such as most laptops, then you will have to use the power adapter.

I am, primarily, a wedding DJ as well, but having the capability of extra outputs was a big selling point for me. Plan for the future, not just for your current needs.

-DGee

发表时间 Wed 02 Apr 08 @ 10:50 pm
I note there are new drivers on the M audio site........(even for Vista)
Yes I have the small f/w port (4 pin) on the laptop...I suppose I could plug the box into a UPS for ultimate protection.....

I'm watching some used Prosonus fireboxes on Ebay, may just bid on one.....I like the idea of firewire; isolating the sound completely....

发表时间 Thu 03 Apr 08 @ 5:16 am
Hey @ all!

The Stanton ScratchAmp 2 is a great Firewire Soundcard. Great Sound, many in- and outputs, midi...
but the card has a big sound and is a big one.. ;)

Therefore i have changed to the Audio 8 DJ USB Card. Although Great Sound, but a small one :)

But the CPU usage of the USB Card is much higher then at the firewire Card!!

And i had'nt probs with drivers by the firewire on my XP System...but some with the usb. Now it's running perfectly!

发表时间 Sat 05 Apr 08 @ 1:16 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
dj_avaco wrote :
But the CPU usage of the USB Card is much higher then at the firewire Card!!

That's because USB depends much more on the CPU power than Firewire.

发表时间 Sun 06 Apr 08 @ 10:41 am
can i used the laptop mic input for the microphone witj dj virual software ? Thanks !

发表时间 Mon 07 Apr 08 @ 1:57 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)