快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: what regular PC maintenance should I do..

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I dont particularly want to 'mess' with my working machines but dont want to incur problems down the road due to poor maintenance. I've been reading about Registry cleaners etc
What should I be doing on a regular basis to keep PC happy ? but not risk damaging my VDJ performance. I use VDJ dedicated machines, no internet, nothing else.

发表时间 Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 3:54 am
The best suggestion I can give you is to defragment your hard drives regularly. When they fragment, seek times increase and that affects performance. I usually do mine once a month.

I also use CCleaner (registry and file cleaner, free on the net) occassionally to keep things tidy, with good results and no errors. Some of the cleaners out there can produce damage - be careful. Always back up your registry before you clean it for recovery, if needed. Because your machines are dedicated, I assume you do not install / remove programs, so this is probably not as important for your situation.

Finally, don't forget the physical maintenance of keeping intakes and fans clean. Your machines will thank you with reliable performance ;)

Hope this helps.

发表时间 Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 11:39 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Dave,

To start with I do all my PC maintenance on a set day of the week, which is on a Friday, I will run my anti-virus (mcafee). It's very rare that I go online with my gig machine but I do sometimes.

Then I run Disk clean up and Disk Defrag ( from the windows system tools ) an both my H/drives, internal and external.

Finially I use this registry cleaner to finish off

http://www.registry-cleaner.net/

It's abit of a ball ache sometimes, but been doing it this way for about 6 months and I haven't had any problems.

Jimmy b

发表时间 Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 7:30 pm
djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Jim do you run mcaffee and vdj video with no problems?
That is a first!
this is the first thing that I take out on a pc, the spyware soft(mcafee or norton) is so slowing down any comp, if you need your machine checked just do a house call on www.trendmicro.com

发表时间 Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 7:39 pm
djlex wrote :
Jim do you run mcaffee and vdj video with no problems?
That is a first!

No it's fine, but I've just started with video and running the video effects, but so far it hasn't bothered me, fingers crossed in won't either. The only thing I find Mcafee does is to slow my start time up, when I first switch on my Laptop.

I'm quite surprised with your finding djlex.

Jimmy b

发表时间 Mon 14 Jan 08 @ 8:44 pm
I run NOD32 on my system and I do video, never had a problem. If you want to take the thought out of defagging your system, get Diskkeeper. (http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp) The new version will use you idle cycles to defrag in the background. It works like a charm.

As for maintaining your system, make sure you clean the innards of your system. If you work in an environment where there is smoke, you must clean the inside of your rig. Your fans will get clogged really fast in a smoky environment. There will be no need for a registry cleaner if you aren't installing and un-installing a bunch of software on your system. (Which should be a no-no for your gig rig.)

发表时间 Tue 15 Jan 08 @ 10:01 pm
Can I defrag without adding software ? how often should I ? how do I actually clean the inside of the PC -

发表时间 Wed 16 Jan 08 @ 10:04 pm
davefromlondon wrote :
Can I defrag without adding software ? how often should I ? how do I actually clean the inside of the PC -

I defrag with Windows native disk tools...Not the best, but it works for me. There are much better defrag programs out there.

I clean the inside of my tower with a vacuum and the crevice tool. For the fans, I use a brush, then vacuum away the crud.

发表时间 Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 8:44 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
careful using a vacuum. they kick up alot of electrostatic energy and you can easily zap your gear from the inside. there are special vacuums for cleaning computers but they are expensive.

best way is to tip the case on a 45 degree angle and then use a pressurized air can to disloge the dust. let it settle on the floor and then vacuum it up.

发表时间 Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 10:19 pm
Paz75 wrote :

best way is to tip the case on a 45 degree angle and then use a pressurized air can to disloge the dust.

Yep I find this is the best way Paz, I just take 1 side of my tower and give it 4-5 second blast of pressurized air all around the inside. Do it once a month normally,

It's amazing how shitted up it gets in there especially around the fans.

Jimmy b

发表时间 Thu 17 Jan 08 @ 10:32 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)