快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Improving my setup - what next ?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I'm a Mobile DJ, who ocassionally does some club work.

I have the following equipment

2 x 300w Full range Speaker (15")
2 x 300w 15" Bins
1 x Amplifier (To drive all the above)
2 x Data Moon lights
1 x Double Derby Light
1 x 180mw Multi Colour Laser
1 x Smoke Machine
1 x Projector
1 x Desktop with Webcam used for Beat reacting visuals/ messages / photos/ logos (R4 - Rabid Hamster)
1 X Notebook with VDJ
1 x Hercules Mk2 (Used as soundcard & backup controller)
1 x NTC (Used as controller)

Where do you think i should look to add to or expand my setup next?

I was pondering replacing my NTC with a more pro solution, possibly midi CD decks and a midi mixer (which i would want to all control the VDJ gui)
I like the look of the Numark ICDX, but you can only use one with VDJ (I would want two! - although price of 2 would be a stumbling block). I know you push eject to switch deck, but it just doesn't seem right using one. (imo)
I'm not looking for 19" rackmounted gear, i would like to stick to tabletop... Maybe VCI-100?

Anyhow... maybe i'm going off in the wrong direction.

Where do you think i should look to add to or expand my setup next?

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 12:27 pm
I'd be looking at getting another Amp & a crossover and running your system Bi-Amped. You will definitely[b/] notice an improvement in sound quality.

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 12:32 pm
d-v-intPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If it were me I'd probably beef up the audio equipment I'm running on two powerd Mackie SRM-450's and I find even thats lacking. I'll def be adding some bass to it soon. Otherwise its a nice setup not far from my own. Can you tell me the modle of laser you have and the cost as I'm looking to get one.

With regards the VCi - 100 I def think upgrading from the herc makes a big defference the only thing I dont like about the vci is that it doesn't have a built sound card. I went for a 3D and I have to say having something more solid is much better.

Still love the herc for what it does though.

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 12:45 pm

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 12:52 pm
To be honest. I've found my audio setup adequate to date.

The events i DJ at have never been more than a couple of hundred people. (not including club work, but they have their own equipment!)

This is not because i'm turning away bigger parties, they just don't really come my way. I guess this is because these larger scale parties are normally managed by an Events manager who has his/her preferred DJs?

I rarley push my system beyond 80% of its safe substainable maximum level.

I know having more punch is never a bad thing, but to be honest, if i needed it, i think i'd just hire the extra equipment at this stage until i reached a point that i knew i'd be using it regularly

Thanks for all your comments though, keep em coming!

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 1:05 pm
rex949PRO InfinityMember since 2007
You sure can use 2 iCDX with VDJ. No problem there.

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 4:24 pm
digimixer wrote :
To be honest. I've found my audio setup adequate to date.

The events i DJ at have never been more than a couple of hundred people. (not including club work, but they have their own equipment!)

This is not because i'm turning away bigger parties, they just don't really come my way. I guess this is because these larger scale parties are normally managed by an Events manager who has his/her preferred DJs?

I rarley push my system beyond 80% of its safe substainable maximum level.

I know having more punch is never a bad thing, but to be honest, if i needed it, i think i'd just hire the extra equipment at this stage until i reached a point that i knew i'd be using it regularly

Thanks for all your comments though, keep em coming!

It's not about more punch though, it's really about the sound quality. Personally my favorite sound quality is created by Stage Accompany speakers. :)

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 4:37 pm
Thanks for all your replies guys... i'm soaking it all up.

So you can use two ICDX's with VDJ... sorry..i remember seeing a post of someone saying you couldn't.

Still... 2 of them would be out my price range for the moment!

My ideal pucrhase would be..

A Midi All-in-one Tabletop device featuring Dual CD Controls / Mixer, touch sensitive dials and with plenty of faders and buttons and dials to assign.
All at the sub £500 price tag

Does such a thing exist or is it a case mixing and matching CD decks and a mixer myself?

The reason i want this is because i got into DJing via VDJ. Because of this i'm very dependant on it.

I want something i can use with VDJ, but also something that i can use indepently of VDJ, as there will be situations when doing Clubs.Bars where i can only use their pre-installed system, at present i wouldn't feel confident enough in taking VDJ out of the equation.

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:10 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
dont forget you can switch decks with one ICDX

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:13 pm
digimixer wrote :
d-v-int wrote :
Can you tell me the modle of laser you have and the cost as I'm looking to get one.

I bought mine as a result of this thread. Cost was approx £260

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/73192/General_Discussion/New_Lasers.html?highlight=laser

That would be my fault then :o)

OK, failing the crossover & second amp, which as i said, would give you a lot better quality of sound. How about dumping the Mk2 and going for a Gigaport soundcard and something like a DMC2 (which I have & love) or take a look at the vestax or the new denon controller.

I take it you're very happy with your laser? Did You get the ARES II ?

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:27 pm
@Tophouse

Yes very happy with laser and yes it is an Ares II, although i havent had a chance to use it at a gig yet, keep getting venues that won't allow smoke or mist. :( (seems kinda pointless using it without)

But will be using it at my own clubbing nite on 1st September, so looking foward to seeing it in action properly.

BTW.. Haven't dismissed your suggestion of Cross Over & Amp, that is something i intend to do, I was aware that the speakers will respond better when fed with frequencies dedicated to their response range, but you've underlined that fact for me. so thanks for the suggestion.

Still eager on the Controller front too though :)

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 5:59 pm
ktilakPRO InfinityMember since 2006
i agree you should definitely up your sound gear and ALWAYS bi-amp your system, you'll notice such a jump when youre amp isnt trying to drive 600 watts of bass and tops as well

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 6:12 pm
what ever you get just remember to always buy quaity hardware. you will suffer later if you dont. in speakers look for the highest spl level you can thats how efficent the speaker is the higher that is the less amp it take to push it. in an amp go for bigger than you need this way you can have the head room and not clip.
thats my two cents and you already have what you really need!! AND THATS VDJ

发表时间 Tue 21 Aug 07 @ 8:59 pm
Ok. I've taken all your advice onboard.

I'm gonna go for the amp, crossover & new soundcard.

Not Sure which soundcard though, DJ i/o, Gigaport, Maya44... hmm so many choices!

Thanks again everyone for your input.

发表时间 Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 12:00 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)