快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: whats the best way to get club gigs?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

i having a hard time getting booked at clubs. im a very good dj in all areas scratching, mixing and to me most important song selections. i do alot of mobile gigs by in florida it very slow in the summer and hurricane season. what kills me is some of the djs i hear spinning at the night club i go to.
so is there a pitch i need to know. or maybe a good demo cd?

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 4:28 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Get to know the promoters and other djs in the clubs make sure you show them how good you are.
Ask if you can do the warm-up sets (for free).
Go to new clubs before they open and ask.
Remember to be persistant.
The BIG key to getting the gig is to tell the Owner/Manager/Promoter that you can bring a crowd and that you will do the first night free.
The first time you work there get all your friends to come and when they walk in have them ask if you are spinning, then have them tell bartenders, managment, bouncers & waitress something like "Hey this dj is good."
If you get the gig make sure your paid the same as the last dj or you will get a rep as a cut-throte

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 4:58 am
it sounds funny, but a very good idea

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 9:29 pm

.. and gives you the rep of a gig snake

Be prepared to be hated at the local dj community

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 9:38 pm
I know some of it sounds like high school popularity contest, but most people who work in night clubs have that same mentality.

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 10:29 pm
KregCZ wrote :
Get to know the promoters and other djs in the clubs make sure you show them how good you are.
Ask if you can do the warm-up sets (for free).
Go to new clubs before they open and ask.
Remember to be persistant.
The BIG key to getting the gig is to tell the Owner/Manager/Promoter that you can bring a crowd and that you will do the first night free.
The first time you work there get all your friends to come and when they walk in have them ask if you are spinning, then have them tell bartenders, managment, bouncers & waitress something like "Hey this dj is good."
If you get the gig make sure your paid the same as the last dj or you will get a rep as a cut-throte

probably the best advice i've ever seen on how to get club gigs (coincidentally, it's the same advice i've always given people when they want to spin at clubs). the absolute most important thing to take from all this is above all, make absolutely sure the person directly responsible for hiring djs for where you want to spin: a.) likes you, b.) thinks you are a good dj.

that might mean the promoter, the owner, the manager, the gm. whomever.

demo cds in my opinion are a bad move. what if you make a demo and it's all hip-hop but they don't want someone who spins all hip-hop. well then you're screwed because they already formed an opinion about you from your cd. live demos are the best way to secure your spot. i've been djing a REALLY long time. i spin at every club i've ever wanted to and i've never made a demo cd. not once.

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 10:46 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No Demo CDs here either, not a good idea.

If your confident, claim that your better than most of the DJ's playing in the town/city, if you haven't had experience, lie and tell them that you've played in numerous other big venues, tell them that you'd like to demo live for free, either early hours or for a short period during the busy hours.

If you are the best at the job, then sure you can get the job, that's not the issue, the thing that holds you back is the demand or lack of it. Every club has a wealth of DJ's to choose from every week, DJ's are very common and disposable to most venues. DJ Vacancies aren't like vacancies at McDonalds. You need to be at the right place at the right time, keep your ear to the ground, go out and make friends.

Don't lick ass and don't be arrogant! Be confident in what you can do, and make sure they know whose boss when you get up there and put on the show.

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 11:16 pm
It definitely helps to "know people". I know it sounds so cliche (sp?).... but it's so true.

I used to get my share of gigs on my own... just introducing myself to bar/club owners... other DJs... etc.

But it wasn't until I met this one other DJ did I start really booking my dates up. I got so much work through this guy... I literally have to sub a ton of it out.

Literally this week alone I could have worked Mon/Tue/Wed/Thr/Fri/Sat. I ended up subbing last night out... and I was thinking of subbing out tomorrow... but I will most likely just work today thru Sat and be dead tired doing it. ;)

发表时间 Tue 07 Aug 07 @ 11:54 pm
I don't believe in demo cds either.
I may make a cd for people who show up on the night I spin, to entice them to come.
But I have to disagree with Bagpuss, I try to never say I am better than anyone, I've seen some real good DJs go no where just because they said they were better than another dj who happened to have a lot of connections and made sure they never got a good gig again.
The sad part was that one of these DJs was one of the best DJs I ever herd, but his mouth made the people in power dislike him. If he was just cool, kept his mouth shut and let his talent talk for it's self he would be as big as Funk Master Flex.

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 12:05 am
I have been working professionally in nightclubs since 1994 and it all started from knowing a DJ at a club who needed a weekend off. I have worked at around 15 different nightclubs either being a resident or guest spot through that time. I auditioned at most of them before I got hired. Some of them have been because of who I knew as well.

My success in consistently working nightclubs for the past 13 years has been these main ingredients:

- being diverse with formats of music (never being narrow minded)
- getting to know bartenders, cocktail servers, and other bar staff (you never know who they know)
- being more personal able with management and owners
- being friendly and real with everyone (no one likes anyone who is fake and has the biggest ego)
- being pioneering with what I do (now video DJ-ing and in demand)

Because of my knowledge of the technical it also helped me get more as an asset to just about any nightclub or situation I have worked in as well.

-------

I honestly don't remember ever making a cd demo for any one job I have gotten.
My most recent job here in Las Vegas was because I used to work for the same people in Houston and the fact I was bringing something new to the table (video mixing). I made a short DVD demo of me mixing video and that was about it.

My future demos are going to be like press kits with a short bio and an interactive DVD demo of video mixing with VDJ. Along with a new web site and newly revamped MySpace page it will be done very professionally and show how serious I am about what I do.

So it really depends on where you want to go with this...
I was very fortunate to have been working as long as I have been in nightclubs. But I always try to think outside the box and be a few steps ahead of what I would consider my DJ competition who may under bid you for a nightclub job. Even the short time I have been here in Las Vegas I have talked to so many DJ's among other people who have full confidence that I could hired just about anywhere in Vegas because of the unique talents I have to offer for a nightclub.

One thing to consider is how this evolved to where we are now.
Not sure of everyone's experience in years here on this forum but I can only reflect on my own. In the most recent years anyone who has an internet access and a laptop can be a DJ. It used to be different back when I started as a hobby when I was 15 in the mid 80's.
Now you have to be different and more cutting edge to stand out. This job market is flooded so you can't afford to be "run of the mill" typical, Serato using, Apple Laptop, downloaded mash-up, quick mixing DJ... be different and it will take notice.
* no offense to any Mac users... just so tired of the snobby ways that most users I have encountered have.

if you do make a CD demo.. make a good one or several with different styles of music... and most important... don't hand write on it.. print a label... and include a resume.

In short...

be yourself, be real, be different, be good at what you do, and be driven... you will be surprised where this may lead you!

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 12:42 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
KregCZ,
I'm not talking about pointing out particular DJ's, I'm talking about reason, the only reason why I ever applied to work at a club, was the personal belief that I could serve the interests of the club more so than the majority of working professionals, without this belief I wouldn't ever DJ anywhere.

In some ways, there is no all winning, all working formular, you can play "middle of the road" but that will only get you so far, ultimately you've got to be yourself, and not everyone will like you, look at me, all I've done here is be myself and it's not won me many popularity contests, when asked a question, do you answer with what you think the questioner wants to hear from you? Or do you answer how you want to? I guess I prefer the hard way but it works because I'm persistant.

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 1:03 am
Bagpuss
Your opinion is in most times (that I’ve seen) good, and I almost always agree with you.
Many times I go to a post and see that you have already wrote something close to what I have.
I’m not saying you should only play to the middle of the road.
I spent most of my career playing far left or far right.

I just think there is a better way to let people know you are good without putting other DJs down.
"I can honestly say I am one of the best DJs in my area if you don’t believe me come check me out." (It’s that simple). I’m not saying I’m better than anyone so no one gets offended.
I’ve got and gave lots of work from and to other DJs who I have become friends with because I never competed with them over who was better.
I know a lot of Big-Time DJs and almost none of them got there alone, most have a team of other people behind them that helped make them.

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 2:16 am
once again thank you guys for the input.

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 2:25 am
PFD50PRO InfinityMember since 2007
You could also put on (promote) your own night. This often happens in Scotland. From there other promoters will ask you to play at thier night especially if your night is busy or people are raving about the tunes

发表时间 Wed 08 Aug 07 @ 12:53 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)