快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Anyone try wireless (802.11) video adapters yet?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
There are several new video adapters out there lately that wirelessly attach your computer to a remote display. Here is an example:

http://www.buy.com/prod/addlogix-internetvue-2100-wireless-pc2tv-adapter-1-x-10-100base-tx-1-x/q/loc/111/204251276.html

This sounds like a great idea, but my theory is that they probably are only suitable for use with VDJ if you don't want any of the features that require 3D hardware acceleration. None of the devices' descriptions mention 3D acceleration, but even if they did, I seriously doubt that a 54Mbps link would be sufficient for the amount of raw data that hardware acceleration generally involves. Remember that PCI wasn't a big enough pipe, so they developed AGP, and then PCI-X to give video accelerators quicker access to data.

Anyway, that's my theory on them, but I would like to hear from anyone who has first-hand experience.

发表时间 Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:29 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
im not sure if it would be fast enough to keep up with the demands of virtual dj as mixing needs a quality link and good card

发表时间 Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:32 pm
It just streams a display wirelessly. It should stream the whole screens contents no matter what it is.

发表时间 Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:39 pm

发表时间 Thu 12 Jul 07 @ 10:45 pm
Andrew87 wrote :
It just streams a display wirelessly. It should stream the whole screens contents no matter what it is.

It's not quite that simple. There are analog RF devices out there like the one TopHouse mentions that do just that, and I do have one of them, but they can be flaky with reception especially over long distances and with with obstacles in the line of sight. They also require some kind of video input from a display adapter already attach or installed in the computer.

The devices I am wondering about actually act as a video adapter. This adds a video card to your system without installing a physical video card. And because the signal is travelling digitally over an 802.11 link, there is error checking, ensuring that as long as the link is stable, the video will be virtually perfect.

Since my original post, I have thought about it, and these devices really aren't worthwhile for use with VDJ, and so I guess I have answered my own question.

TopHouse wrote :

TopHouse, how does your setup work as far as interference? How far do you usually transmit? The setup I use is a cheap X10 one, but I hacked the transmitter, adding a 1 Watt RF amplifier (boosting it from the legal limit of 25mW) to it. It definitely improves the signal quality, but if someone uses a microwave anywhere nearby, the video goes straight to hell. I see that yours is in the same frequency range as mine, so I would assume you have the same problem.

发表时间 Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 12:23 am
The product you posted does what I just said it does.

发表时间 Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 12:24 am
Andrew87 wrote :
The product you posted does what I just said it does.

So you think it is just copying the video of an existing display, all in software, and streaming that over 802.11 to the unit? If so, then it might actually be useful, just overpriced ;)
There are other devices popping up lately that definitely do it the way I described earlier, I may have just picked a bad example :(

Either way, I am going to stick with analog RF transmitter/receiver for now. It can attach it to the output of my video mixer which gives me a little more flexibility, which I would lose with one of these software to receiver setups.

发表时间 Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 12:31 am
It streams the contents of your computer screen compressed via wifi to the box which then decodes the signal and outputs a compliant image to your TV via its outputs

http://internetvue.com/iv2000.htm

It's not particularly innovative, nor does it give you access to another physical screen as a true video adapter would do; But I'm sure someone could find uses for it.

发表时间 Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 12:35 am
frd1963 wrote :
[quote=Andrew87]TopHouse, how does your setup work as far as interference? How far do you usually transmit? The setup I use is a cheap X10 one, but I hacked the transmitter, adding a 1 Watt RF amplifier (boosting it from the legal limit of 25mW) to it. It definitely improves the signal quality, but if someone uses a microwave anywhere nearby, the video goes straight to hell. I see that yours is in the same frequency range as mine, so I would assume you have the same problem.

Overall picture quality is perfect, I only send it about 30/40 feet. It does 'occasionally' get a tiny bit of interference from I know not what (I blame taxis at the venue) But it doesn't detract from the overall effect. My full show is video based, I have around 3.5 thousand videos now. And it's still a new concept with a wow factor. I usually use the sender to transmit to the venue's big screen or plasma if they have one.

发表时间 Fri 13 Jul 07 @ 7:01 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)