快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Are DJ Skills truly appreciated? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I often notice how Joe Public judge a DJ more on the fact of if they play the tunes they like rather than the DJs actual mixing skills.
Now i appreciate that track selection is a big part of DJing, but the art of mixing is often over looked by the public, they often only seem to notice it if it goes wrong!

Sometimes a DJ can do such a good job of manipulating tracks , blending, using effects etc that the majority of the crowd may just feel that it was done in a studio and the DJ is just playing it (unless they are watching the DJ)

Your thoughts on this?

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:02 pm
Quote :
they often only seem to notice it if it goes wrong!

And even then Joe Public might not notice/care.

Unfortunately I find that skills are often only appreciated by a few savvy listeners or other djs.

Just remember to play for Jane Public and everything will be ok : )

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:09 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
That is quite true, most ppl just dont give a damn abt wat the dj skill, all they care is the music n alkohol..n dun forget the the chicks too...As well if their favourite music is played, they will raved n dance as the party goes on n they dun even care how it is mix, blend or mashed up as long they are having fun. (drunk).:)

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:17 pm
It's true most people don't care about mixing. They just wanna hear their song. I had a nice compliment the other night though. I did a really nice beatmix between two tracks and a guy came up to me from across the room and said hey nice mix. It wasn't a particularly difficult mix and I had been doing that all night but he probably appreciated it because it involved a song he liked. It was still nice to be complimented on something technical.

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:27 pm
they care subconsiously...

A dj that dont mix, makes dead gaps and dont have a nice steady beat going, or a build up.
So the dancefloor is kinda like "whats next?" on the floor between songs, making some leave, or at least "breaking up the mood/flow" for a second or two.

If the dj blend and mix good, he can build the atmosphere and keep the dancefloor growing and moving, to a new level.

So there is a total different mood and atmosphere in a club where the dj mixes good (pumping dancefloor), and where the dj dont mix (chopped up feeling).

They notice subconsiously if there is a nice flow and mix , and it does influence the atmosphere on the dancefloor and the club in general.

That doesnt mean they explicitly know that it was a good DJ that made a good nite.
They might not know where to put the finger, but they had a hell of a great night out dancing.

And usually comes back next weekend because of that... hence the reason many great club hire good djs ;)

Things might be very different in a little pub though, where its more intimate, and the dj even break up the songs with mic use. And that kinda style is good for that setting..

But on a large scale nightclub, you have to beatmix

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:42 pm
I would say that music selection is more important than mixing and tricks for most places. But I have heard quite horrible DJ's lately! In Chicago it seems that everyone thinks they are a DJ now. In part due to the amount of people buying programs like VDJ (Virtual Vinyl), Serato, and Tractor. They are able to microwave it up with a few low quality tracks downloaded from Limewire, click automix and get a gig through friends. I've been out lately and heard DJ's play the entire song and start the next song with a completely different tempo. No mix, no slam, not even a fade out.

The good thing is that we who know the kinetics of DJing can always rock a crowd better than someone who has less knowledge and skills. Our skills are than more recognized and appreciated. I get compliments everytime I DJ, everytime. I'm not hating on 'New DJ's', just DJ's that don't take the time to learn all aspects. Try to mix without using your computer screen with the mapped beats...

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:43 pm

exactly..

dj SKILLS matter... and no dj software can do that for you ;) not even vdj...hehe

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:45 pm
I don't think most crowds care about your mixing skills ... and I have never gotten hired to do a party because of my mixing skills ... I get hired to rock the party .. and make sure people have a good time.

IMHO ... in order to rock a party (im a mobile DJ) .... its all about reading your crowd .. track selection .. an mic work... hell .. I VERY rarely mix in public .. just use the fader.... I save the mixing for at home when im practicing.

Now .. in a big club that’s playing (insert genre here) mixing skills are more important .. heck I dont think you could get the gig if you did not have mixing skills ... but I wouldn’t want to rock one genre all night long.

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:47 pm

True too...

There is a very important distinction here...

Large Nightclubs = must beatmix

Pubs/smaller clubs = beatmixing less important

Mobile djing/pubs = mic skills are important too

And regardless of above, READING THE CROWD is one hell of underrated dj skill.

I see so many GREAT beatmixers, that completely fail to read the crowd, and plays the wrong songs or bpm's for the time of nite, and kills the dancefloor..

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 10:50 pm
I have to admit i think people really dont understand what a DJ is. Maybe i have it wrong but a "DJ" to me knows how to blend has a few tricks during transitions or affects. People dont understand the word DJ itself. I was at a club and i swear the DJ didnt blend not one time and he played descent music but played for one certain group and the ladies didnt get on the dancefloor and thats when you have a problem lol Like someone mentioned without the build up to the next song selection there is a slight pause and disruption in the flow of things and leaves me dissapointed. For the regular joe they could care less which does dissapoint me but for a real DJ who knows how to keep the floor packed i have much respect...

发表时间 Tue 10 Jul 07 @ 11:21 pm
There are several different definitions of what a "DJ" or more important what a "Good DJ" is. The sad fact is that most club owners can't tell a good dj (as pertaining to his business, keeps the crowd going, rotates the dance floor, sells more drinks, keeps people coming back week in and week out) they just seem to want to hire someone cheap or scam some bedroom dj into thinking they will make them and "up and coming dj" so work for free. To the crowd a "good Dj" is one who plays what they want when they are ready for it, to rap/hip hop dj's a good dj is the one who can rub the needle against the record (whether adding anything to the song or not or whether on beat or rhythm or not) and the one who can use the most sound effects layered upon one another. The venue really determines what a good dj is, in a lounge/neighborhood bar it's play the requests talk on the mic and keep people entertained regardless of your dj "skills" (hence the popularity of Scaraoke...are these "hosts" really dj's as they call themselves? in a large dance nightclub its music programming, music programming, music programming and IF YOU ARE GOOD beatmixing, if you trainwreck just do radio seques and lean on music programming, at a house party play what will get you laid and visit the keg as often as possible.....I recently moved to the LA area (orange county actually) from Phoenix and I am simply AMAZED at how many horrible dj's are working clubs out here on a regular basis. The club owners out here only seem to care about tw things "Do you look hip hop enough" and will you work for free because I will get you lots of exposure (presumably so you can be discovered by another bar owner who wants you to work for free)". I have been to dozen and dozens of clubs where the "resident" dj can't beat mix fluidly, can't program for "his crowd" let alone the crowd the owner really wants in there. They can't scratch on beat, they don't know when to use effects or not and they think putting the beats from sexyback behind every 120bpm 80's rock song they can find is a mashup!!!!!!!!!!, but the club owner like him because he works for a bar tab while the owner rakes it in because liquor licenses have become so hard to place these days he's the only bar within 10 miles and because of that you could spend all night farting in the microphone and the crowd wouldn't drive further to another bar because they are all so scared of getting a DUI! Oh have times changed since the 80's.

发表时间 Sat 14 Jul 07 @ 9:28 am
xgl_djPRO InfinityMember since 2004
^^^ If your going to type a lot, use paragraphs or spaces after a few lines to make your post more readable..

发表时间 Sat 14 Jul 07 @ 10:15 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Other than that a good post, I agree totally.

The best DJ skill is knowing what to play, and I find that most young DJ's are useless in this regard, they just talk technical and get nowhere as a result, your technical ability and 'tricks' are an added bonus in most arenas, but in the bedroom it's being technical that keeps you entertained, so it's a hard habbit to break, if your interested in the money, then I'd advise getting into all kinds of popular music from all popular eras, learn to get on the mic and be comfortable with your voice, and learn that you're not the DJ, your a servant paid by the people who enter the doors, they are the kings and queens of the night, not you, so learn to be humble whilst making sound judgement. I could go on rambling advice forever but no one will listen hehe.

发表时间 Sat 14 Jul 07 @ 11:36 am
Sorry, sometimes I get passionate about things and the brain gets too crowded and I have to release it somewhere.

I will try to shorten my posts, and when I can't I will try to use proper paragraphs.

I wasn't aware my elementary school English teacher was reading this board!

发表时间 Sun 15 Jul 07 @ 7:05 am
I'm a professional programmer for a living (Bedroom VDJer) and let me put it this way; I do User Interface design (how programs look, feel to the user. Think skin designer for corp apps) And when I do good UI, no one notices. But if it's bad, then LOOK OUT!

I have long felt that a DJ is in the same situation. If you do your job right, most people dont know you're there. They want to groove to the tunes and have a good time. It's the Dj's job to give them that experience. I'm in my early 40's, and while I dont hit the clubs much lately, I did hit them regually for nearly 20 years, and I cant recall too many great DJs, but MAN do I remember the bad ones!

Best of luck

发表时间 Sun 15 Jul 07 @ 11:27 pm
People know when I DJ. They hear, see, and feel the energy that I blast through the speakers. If I'm having a bad day (more like hungover) there is less energy. If I feel like rock n roll so does the crowd. You don't have to know how to crab to be a great DJ. A few simple tricks along with a good programing and mixing style can set you apart from others. Again music selection is most important but without skills your a f'in iPod!

发表时间 Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 5:44 am
Last night I was at one of the hottest late night spots (5a.m.) in chicago when I got done DJing at my gig and I couldn't believe how bad the DJ was (skills wise). He didn't beat match one song and the volumes constantly changed. I don't even think he was wearing headphones! But when I looked around no one noticed at all they really didn't care and I'm talking about like 700 people. So, for most crowds I don't think that it matters too much how good you can mix songs or if you can scratch. The main thing that matters is your song selection.

Personally, I practice on my skills all the time because even though this guys was killing the crowd if it was me I would be able to rock em just a tad more simply because I can mix songs, and in the end means one important thing, you don't have to play entire songs.

发表时间 Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 8:26 am
Bagpuss wrote :
Other than that a good post, I agree totally.

The best DJ skill is knowing what to play, and I find that most young DJ's are useless in this regard, they just talk technical and get nowhere as a result, your technical ability and 'tricks' are an added bonus in most arenas, but in the bedroom it's being technical that keeps you entertained, so it's a hard habbit to break, if your interested in the money, then I'd advise getting into all kinds of popular music from all popular eras, learn to get on the mic and be comfortable with your voice, and learn that you're not the DJ, your a servant paid by the people who enter the doors, they are the kings and queens of the night, not you, so learn to be humble whilst making sound judgement. I could go on rambling advice forever but no one will listen hehe.

For such a young guy (hehe) Bagpuss has hit the nail on the head here. 95% of the time we have to play what our crowd wants. The other 5% we have to play what they would want if they knew it existed. Keep the music flowing, without breaks, talk over if you are a 'personality DJ' but remember it's the music that matters. Bagpuss used to say in his Blog that he plays 'uplifting' music. I like to do that, to lift peoples spirits, take themselves our of themselves, put the lid on aggressive behaviour by playing the right tracks and generally create a happy atmosphere. Doing all that is not easy, - a lot of people can't . Very few customers will ever understand it, but IMO it's the way to go.

发表时间 Mon 16 Jul 07 @ 3:06 pm
I found whenever I DJ'd to a crowd that you never got much feedback or appreciation no matter how good a job you did. It seemed to be alot about not making mistakes. Though I really appreciate noticable, good mixing when I hear it.

Personally I'd rather record a CD of great mixing rather than worry what a crowd think.

发表时间 Sat 21 Jul 07 @ 8:53 am
I know we all like to consider ourselves as "entertainers" or "artists" or "performers" and after a solid 45 minute flawlessly mixed hop hop & house set you hard right into "Shook Me All Night Long" and every girl in the place gives a huge screaming orgasm the first guitar note and rushes to the dance stages to play stripper girl for the next 3-1/2 minutes is a HUGE boost to the ego, but let's face it, that's why we are there, that's what we get paid to do.

If your job is done right your reward is to stave off the "I don't have the skills you do, but mr. club owner, I will work for free" newbies trying to take your job for one more weekend.

After all, when you buy your cd's at wal-mart and the cashier rings them up properly at the right price and puts them in the bag ever so gently with your reciept do we stand at the check out line high fiving and applauding them......no because that's what they do, they're supposed to get it right.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate a nice "wow, for an old guy you can really rock it" once in a while from the college crowds is cool, but I don't expect it. We are professionals and should act like it.

Now go have your shift drink, boink the hottie who's been hanging around the dj booth all night and in the morning you will feel it's ah-igh!

发表时间 Sun 22 Jul 07 @ 9:48 am
74%