快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: The two rivals aren't rivals at all....

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Itunes has posted a free downloand of the two masterminds in technology. Founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates, and Founder of Apple, Steve Job,s at the D5 Conference.

I was completely wrong thinking they were rivals, in actuallity they are friends! Watch the interview! Steve Jobs even comments how Apple will never beat Microsoft and shouldn't even try!

Anyways, they were joking around, it's very interesting because they talk about the two companies history, present status, and where they are going...

If you can, I suggest taking some time and watching it. It's a free download through Itunes.

发表时间 Sun 10 Jun 07 @ 2:46 pm
Trust me speed, that was just a friendly face put on much deeper sentiment.

Steve has said that in the past and that is why even I have noted many times that we, the Mac community and Apple don't care about "beating" microsoft... but that's only meant condescendingly using their definition of "beating"

billy g and stevie b over at m$ think that marketshare declares the winner, which is why we and Steve Jobs always refer to "installed base" which is a much more accurate representation of a companies user base.

Also, watch the section in that WWDC conference you linked to where they are demoing iChat's new live background capabilities. Do you not think that when Apple's Phil Schiller puts his mouth over microsoft's steve ballmer's mouth and sticks his tongue out at the Apple Develpers that that is re-enforcing our rivalry?

Don't be fooled by any niceties on the exterior speed, this is a very real war.

Remember, all throughout history the most bitter of arch-rivals have often come face to face with eachother and put on a civil face for the moment to garner public favor, but once out of the public eye they go right back to planning eachothers next phase in the war.

Releasing Safari for windows and the soon to be available iPhone (which uses Safari as it;s default browser) is our next "Trojan Horse" into the windows "weakhold". The launch of Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard will be the shot fired by Apple at microsoft that will undoubtedly be heard around the world.

We got em were we want 'em. ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

发表时间 Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 2:53 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
safari for windows sux.

sure it may load simple html faster

but it cant run any of the javascripts that i need such as chat widgets

only firefox can do that on mac

and ie7 and firefox on windows

if they want to impress windows users they should potent their os to os 86 format so we can all use it

and or potent ilife to windows , because windows media player , movie maker and their similar music program suck

10.5 looks good , i will contact my sweedish dealers for a copy =D

发表时间 Wed 13 Jun 07 @ 1:55 pm
Quest,
There is something that keeps bugging me. Why did Apple decide to get in to Intel Technology instead of advancing there "G" technology? (as in G4 to G5 to G6 .. etc. ) I've heard many say that that was a mistake switching to Intel technology instead of adancing there own hardware.

And how is it that I haven't heard any threats of law suits from Microsoft that some stores are selling Mac computers with Windows XP Preinstalled? Are they allowed to do that? I've even seen that on the apple wesbite. Having Windows XP on a Mac computer.

And now Apple allowing there Safari Browser to be installed on a Windows operated machine.. Also other Microsoft Software for Mac..
What kind of War is going on? a "Peacefull/Silent Fight to the death War"?

I mean I can understand the Software part, to an extent, but Apple putting on there homepage that you can now install a Microsoft Operating system on a Mac??? AND GET IT PRE-INSTALLED????

AND PLUS, Your not able to install Mac operating system on, shouldn't use the word PC, but ok a "non intel cor duo Mac OS supporting hardware" machine. lol (help me with a discription)

Either Mac is trying to "corner" Microsoft, create a manopoly, because basicly it's looking like Apple is creating machines that can "do it all" OR there is a possibilty of a merger in the plans for the future that noone knows about. (which is NOT likely). If you watched the show, it is even said that Apple hardware is installed in the Microsoft X-Box.

--as you can see, CONFUSED-- Maybe you and your side kick skyfxl can help me out with all this with your facts and opinions. You guys seem to know a lot more.

发表时间 Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 2:50 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
SpeedDemond29 wrote :
Quest,
There is something that keeps bugging me. Why did Apple decide to get in to Intel Technology instead of advancing there "G" technology? (as in G4 to G5 to G6 .. etc. ) I've heard many say that that was a mistake switching to Intel technology instead of adancing there own hardware.

And how is it that I haven't heard any threats of law suits from Microsoft that some stores are selling Mac computers with Windows XP Preinstalled? Are they allowed to do that? I've even seen that on the apple wesbite. Having Windows XP on a Mac computer.

And now Apple allowing there Safari Browser to be installed on a Windows operated machine.. Also other Microsoft Software for Mac..
What kind of War is going on? a "Peacefull/Silent Fight to the death War"?

I mean I can understand the Software part, to an extent, but Apple putting on there homepage that you can now install a Microsoft Operating system on a Mac??? AND GET IT PRE-INSTALLED????

AND PLUS, Your not able to install Mac operating system on, shouldn't use the word PC, but ok a "non intel cor duo Mac OS supporting hardware" machine. lol (help me with a discription)

Either Mac is trying to "corner" Microsoft, create a manopoly, because basicly it's looking like Apple is creating machines that can "do it all" OR there is a possibilty of a merger in the plans for the future that noone knows about. (which is NOT likely). If you watched the show, it is even said that Apple hardware is installed in the Microsoft X-Box.

--as you can see, CONFUSED-- Maybe you and your side kick skyfxl can help me out with all this with your facts and opinions. You guys seem to know a lot more.

They "had" to switch to Intel technology, due to the fact the IBM's processorts weren't keeping up speedwise with the competition. Steve annouced when they reached the 2 GHz mark that they would be at 3 GHz same time next year, but when that time came, they were only at 2,5GHz. They tried to explain it in many different ways, but basically their reputation took a little blow(and so did their self-respect I think, at the time)
Also, the power-pc processor were not so good for portable machines, due to too much power use, and too much heat.
It was def. not a mistake switching to Intel, 'coz Mac's are now way,way faster than they have ever been.

You can NOT get Windows pre-installed on a MAC, at least not from the Apple store.
However, they have made BootCamp which makes it possible for you to install windows if you WANT to.
Apple do however NOT give any support on using Windows on a Mac, they just give you the tools to do it. The reason is simply to attract more "switchers" who may be dependet on ceratain "windows-only" softwares.

You got to remember that even though they are competing, Apple and MicroSoft have been working togheter for years. Actually, in 1997, Microsoft bought 10% of Apple's shares (non-voting shares) to help save Apple from bankrupcy. For all I know, they still own them. But I highly doubt we will ever see a merger of these two companies.

And they did not state that there is Apple hardware in the XBOX360, but they said that the XBOX360 started using the same processor etc that used to be in the old Mac's(before Intel) and for that reason it was easier to program and develop XBOX360 software on a Mac which had similar hardware as the actual gaming console.

Hope that clearifies some of your questions ;)

发表时间 Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 3:33 am
Actually that answers all my questions ... Thanks k_one

发表时间 Thu 14 Jun 07 @ 10:05 pm
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
Anytime ;)

发表时间 Fri 15 Jun 07 @ 12:29 am
Good post k_one. =)

I'll elaborate a little further when I get a second as I have addressed this issue many times ever since SJ announced Apple's decision to switch toi Intel in mid '05.

in short... all is not as it seems. ;)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

发表时间 Sat 23 Jun 07 @ 2:26 pm
IBM (speedwise) seem to be doing a blinding job on the next generation consoles, maybe they demanded more money from Apple seeing as they now had more weight behind them with support from three different firms?

发表时间 Sat 23 Jun 07 @ 3:13 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
apple wanted a dual core solution , ibm doesnt have one

发表时间 Sun 24 Jun 07 @ 1:58 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)