快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Folders / Genres / File Sorting

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

GaryBrPRO InfinityMember since 2006
This question is aimed at the people who have been using VDJ a long time, as what i want is advice from your experiences.

Its going to be a big job for me putting all my MP3's and Video files into genre folders, so rather than have to do it all twice, i'm hoping i can get some good feedback from you guys.

Pros & cons to using windows folders or virtual folders?

I won't be using any other software, only VDJ so i'm tempted to have all the MP3's in a windows folder and all the DVD's in their own windows folder and sort out the genres into virtual folders.

I just keep getting a niggling feeling that this isn't the best way and i'm overlooking something a lot more simple.

Currently, i have everything in genre labled windows folders, but i'm finding as i get more and more, i'm getting doubles, therefore wasting storage space. I read that the virtual foldes will stop this duplicating of files.

Are the virtual folders reliable? If anything happened to them i'd have to do this process all over again, god forbid anything happend to them just before i started work or during!

So, any advice on file sorting would be appreciated.

Gary
www.djgarybrown.co.uk

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 5:38 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
don't know if this will help some say don't do it but i followed this tip i think it was from dj marcel and it has'nt done me any harm so far plus it saves you going from folder to folder looking for a particular track just make your self a new folder i followed marcels advice and called it music dump and put everything in there and it has a mixture of audio & video files totalling nearly 8,000 on one 400g external hard drive and another 80g e/hd devoted soley to 6,500 karaoke files as i say ain't done me no harm so far but wait and see what other suggestions pop up...Tayla

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 7:23 pm
Virtual folders seem ok, but they're quite a new feature, not particularly developed yet.

it's rather annoying that you can't put one virtual folder inside another (like for example having a Dance folder with Trance and House inside it).

It's a bit of an open book really. Everybody has there own individual way as far as i can see.

If you have use itunes you can now import all your playlists from there every time you start virtual dj. But that wont help at all if you don't use itunes!

Another thing you might want to look at is the vmix-51 jubebox editon skin. That's a skin that uses special music cataloging software and encorporates it into vdj so that you can keep information like harmonic keys to hand.

To be honest I'm still waiting for the "perfect" solution. So I have just found my "mymusic" folder and "myvideos" folder in virtual DJ (and any other folders with media in) then right clicked on them and chosen "add to database".

Then when i click on "local database" i can search through every song i have to find the one i'm after. But when I'm looking for some inspiration i simply look through my CD wallet then find the song on vdj to play it.

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 8:43 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I use only audio, this way:
Folders:
Music
Genres
Year
Month
You can use new folder everytime when you add some new music, just to know, than after a few days put it in it's month.
You can make 2 folders inside a hdd:
Audio
Video
than make it like I described above.
Hope this helps.
And remember, when you move/rename folders/files VDJ keeps BPM,comments etc.

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 07 @ 8:56 pm
I use audio only - no karaoke nor video:

/Music/ALL/*Genre*/*Artist - Title.mp3*

Also I have a

/Music/Charts/*Chart Genre* (Radio, Urban, Techno, etc..)

which has only shortcuts of the songs currently in the tops. Whenever a song leaves that spot, I simply delete the shortcut (the original file is in the "ALL" folder).

Last, I have a
/Music/Musts/ folder, where I keep the songs that I tend to forget to play and are musts.

This is the way that has worked best for me. I don't need years, albums or any other complicated stuff.
Anyway, I also make a playlist for any event with any special songs I have to play.

Personally, I haven't tried virtual folders yet, so I can't give you feedback.

Cheers,
Joe

发表时间 Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 2:04 am
Cheers guys, so far so good.

So, does anyone use virtual folders? I'd like to hear some pros or cons about them from people that file their music using them.

Toodle pip

Gary
www.djgarybrown.co.uk

发表时间 Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 1:43 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
Nope, just the way I described and Sidelist.

发表时间 Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 1:47 pm
i think you need a lot of organized regular folders plus use the virtual folders to help eliminate duplication.

i have a mobile biz plus i do long hours at a strip club ......... i could never function personally with one or two catch all folders ..........

i try to have a regular folder for every conceivable purpose ........ so i have folders that are by era ,40's to now , i have male and female vocal that's for popular artists who span several decades , wedding faves , my faves , love songs , motown , classic rock , mod rock , cocktail , accapellas (no not those hideous things from the promos lol) promo only 's including the platinum series , rnb , club , jazz , big band , funk , punk , reggae , reggaeton , latin artists and dances ,hair bands ,instrumental ,classical ,comedy skits , sound efx , soundtracks , speeches, sports related ,party tunes , line dances, schools , kids bop (communions) , this gig ,breakup songs, mummers,patriotic ,intros , gig starters, outtros, bar 'n bat, mashups , cool covers ,swing , halloween,christmas, superhits , billboards by era ..... i don't use hippity hop or rap folders cuz that junk is in other folders like promo urban, but i may make virtual folders that are old school and newer
in fact that makes a good example how to eliminate duplicates .......

i also search via comments and write lotsa comments every time out ....... i also keep a running mockumentary in notepad ........

there's probably a billion ways to skin the organizational cat , it's not right or wrong it's just how i do it

发表时间 Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 2:42 pm
i also make virtual folders named new fldr 1 thru 5 in advance of all mobile gigs and especially at the strip club (good for new dancers) and make virtual folders when you are in the moment and then you don't have to write yourself notes ..... it's real handy adding to virtual folders on the fly , simply rename and return to your regularly scheduled corona.....

发表时间 Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 7:16 pm
I found a solution of myself 3 years ago.

1) As i lost a lot of times in the past when going from 1 computer to another I bought an external hard drive of 120 gig. This external drive draws its power directly from USB.

2) I keep my music as follows:
Artist/Album/song.mp3
Compilation/Album/artist-song.mp3

3) From there on i make my personal linked folders in windows (you can work with subcategories). Basically you make a bookmark link of your music file and then copy this link in a new folder. Like Disco folder, House Folder, Cheezy folder and so on. Files in those foders will have the .lnk extension, but virtualdj wil recognise them as your original sound files.

Hope it helps

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 11:07 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
garybr

nobody has mentioned it yet, probably the fear of been struck down by lightning but if your files are idtagged like mine and the majority of everyone elses you will shortly, so we have been told will not need to have a folder system as vdj is hopefully getting at last full tag recognition, so like other dj software just type in the genre you want or the year and hey presto its their and no more filling in comment fields for me which to be honest i'm getting use to just a pain filling them in...Tayla

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 11:26 am
i give myself a lotta help w/ the comments and it can be used to narrow searches so i'm gonna be doing that until the software can read my mind , probably ver 4.5 .........

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 3:05 pm
IronLunatic wrote :
I found a solution of myself 3 years ago.

1) As i lost a lot of times in the past when going from 1 computer to another I bought an external hard drive of 120 gig. This external drive draws its power directly from USB.

2) I keep my music as follows:
Artist/Album/song.mp3

3) From there on i make my personal linked folders in windows (you can work with subcategories). Basically you make a bookmark link of your music file and then copy this link in a new folder. Like Disco folder, House Folder, Cheezy folder and so on. Files in those foders will have the .lnk extension, but virtualdj wil recognise them as your original sound files.

Hope it helps

I also work this way...

Artist/Album/song.mp3

And then I create folders for styles, where I place "shortcuts" to the songs.

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 3:17 pm
Thanks guys. Keep em coming!

There seems to be lacking an easy way to sort out the music. I'm fiding that i'm getting stumped during a night and the folders are not the same as having my cds / vinyl and DVD's to look thorugh.

I don't like to plan a set in advance, i tend to take what the night throws at me, so creating a playlist before work wouldn't be much good for my style.

Maybe i need to condense my stuff a little, and remove the thousands of MP3's and videos i never play and put them somewhere else.

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 4:03 pm
I used to have Itunes open and VDJ at the same time, and use Itunes great music sorter and just drag the song from the Itunes software to Virtual DJ and it worked great.

发表时间 Tue 24 Apr 07 @ 5:39 pm
GaryBr wrote :

I don't like to plan a set in advance, i tend to take what the night throws at me, so creating a playlist before work wouldn't be much good for my style.

Thats good, I also prefer NOT to prepare a set, and lets see how it goes and flows with the people.

I suggest you can backup all the media you dont usually play on DVDs (better 2 copies of each to ensure you dont loos it).

Also once you have your folders with files, or shortcuts, you can right-click on the VDJ explorer to "ADD FOLDER TO DATABASE" and then its easy to search by title or artist.

发表时间 Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:11 am
Cj-TjHome userMember since 2007
I have one "current" folder with everything "hot" at the moment, and which I will expect to play in a set, then I have a huge folder with all the files which can be dragged up should I want something differnt. That way its not true preparation, but better than having to look through loads of files for one song you play each night. Files get changed as and when I feel I dont play them as much as I used to.

发表时间 Thu 26 Apr 07 @ 10:02 pm
Cj-Tj wrote :
I have one "current" folder with everything "hot" at the moment, and which I will expect to play in a set, then I have a huge folder with all the files which can be dragged up should I want something differnt. That way its not true preparation, but better than having to look through loads of files for one song you play each night. Files get changed as and when I feel I dont play them as much as I used to.

thousand of files in same folder can make VDJ freeze for some seconds... take care!

发表时间 Fri 27 Apr 07 @ 3:41 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)