快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: which soundcard for a laptop?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

crundlePRO InfinityMember since 2003
I am going to buy a laptop in the next week or so, probably an Asus board, and was wondering what soundcard people recommend to use for virtual dj. It's not going to be a professional setup by any means, just something to take to mates houses to use. I have a Creative Live Platinum on the home computer, and VDJ works great on it, but for the laptop, whats a solution that isn't going to cost me the earth?
Any ideas woul dbe really helpful, as I don't know much about laptops at all.
thanks,
Matt

发表时间 Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 10:41 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It should work fine with the sound card in the laptop.

发表时间 Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 11:04 pm
aren't most soundcards for laptops only 2 channel? If so, it would just have one output, wouldn't it?
I'm used to having two outputs in the home computer, so how can I get away with one output?
Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area, but laptops are a new thing for me and I want to be sure I get it right first time.

发表时间 Thu 02 Sep 04 @ 11:29 pm
there are many good 5.1 usb soundcards that will all work well with vdj ;)

all from Hercules Dj console, to Soundblaster Extigy & Audigy etc..

soundcards are generally good nowadays.

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 8:24 am
ok, I think I'm with it now. Do a lot of you use usb soundcards as opposed to a 5.1 internal soundcards?

Was thinking of going with the Extigy, as the creative I have in the home computer has been good to me.

Thanks for your help, I'll get the money now and go shopping!!!

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 1:46 pm

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 1:48 pm
yes, the laptop will probably only have 1 stereo output. Using a stereo splitter this one stereo output can be split into 2 seperate mono outputs.

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 2:04 pm
Although I have had good experience with USB Audio, if I were in the market for a new sound device I would try:

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoDJ/index.php

I have heard good things about it and I always prefer something compact. Extigy, Maya etc are bulky if you need to travel light.

USB sound quality is assured to be good because of it's disposition from the internals of your machine, but I think the Indigio DJ is worth a try, especially if you can buy it locally and return it if you don't like it. Using the onboard soundcard is never a good idea for your main out, even if you are just doing small parties... you would be just lucky if the sound quality is good.

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 2:09 pm
arjunaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
DJ Rick wrote:
"Using a stereo splitter this one stereo output can be split into 2 seperate mono outputs."

You are right, but I've used a splitter about 3 years ago for another soft and altought this little device works, the result is not satisfying - I've experienced a tendence to sound distorsion with the splitter, and definitely it's all "flat".

From my point of view it's not good to render justice to an amazing soft. like VDJ :)

Ciao!!

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 2:54 pm
digijoc-Mele

Whats up man good to see that you are still around. I have the Indigo DJ its to much work to set up the right way for VDJ. If I was you I would go usb 2 or firewire.

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 3:35 pm
@arjuna (and rick)

sure stereo-splitter will work, but its mono result, and many might think its a bit flat...true.. ¨

allthough clubs might have mono sound at pa system, i would still go for stereo output...

Indigo DJ is a card-bus soundcard, and in many ways it can be better that usb (card bus having less problems, higher speed etc). I use usb soundcards, and they work GREAT too... never had any problems with them, and good sound :)

things in favor of USB is the possibility to also use it at a desktop pc that has usb (and not a cardbus slot).

The Soundblaster Audigy2 nx USB soundcard (that I have), is a very small, handy 5.1 (actually 7.1) soundcard that works great, and is easy to take with u to gigs... very small ;)
http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Audigy2NX/

Getting a soundcard like the Audigy one, will also give u great possibilities like TRUE surround sound w/ DVD play, gaming etc... (Indigo would not)

just a few thoughts... :)

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 3:48 pm
Personally I haven't experienced any "flatness". I use mono output 2 nights a week, and stereo output 1-2 times each week. There's no noticable difference. (in fact due to the speaker configuration 2 nights a week, stereo would sound worse)

I know of many DJ's in the local resort bars who use exclusively mono output from their laptops onboard sound card.

Don't say it can't or shouldn't be done, it can be and is being done. Many people will spend tons of money on an external sound devices (I'd recommend 2 xp-10's)
But it will in fact work fine, and sound fine if you decide to use Mono output with your onboard sound device.

Rick

PS: in case someone was going to suggest it, after 15 years of DJing, I recently had a full spetrum hearing test. Both ears are normal in all frequencies.
Whoo Hoo! TURN IT UP!! :-)

发表时间 Fri 03 Sep 04 @ 8:41 pm
"Don't say it can't or shouldn't be done....." lol... dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that, not at all... ;)

I'm just saying I prefer 2 stereo soundcards, thats all ;)
It's all about preferences anyway...

发表时间 Sat 04 Sep 04 @ 1:12 am
I use the Echo Indigo DJ card and it's super. It works perfect with Virtual DJ...i have had no crashes during long live sets. 2 Stereo outputs, so you can use it for perfect mixing with a remote mixer. And the card has a super quality audio output. So i would go for this one....

发表时间 Sat 04 Sep 04 @ 2:11 pm
reason for saying go for a stereo soundcard, and not stereo to mono splitter (that will aslo work), is the extended possibilities it gives you...

I know that most clubs have mono sound, and that mono sound might even sound better at a club...

BUT.. having a stereo output will sound better at home, and also give you extras towards using it for other apps, DVD play, games etc... Also having the full stereo sound at home, for homeplay, home parties etc is important for me..

ALSO, though the final output at a club is often MONO, I would prefer the amp to do the mono output. Having stereo sound into a stereo hardware EQ, and stereo sound into rest of hardware, seems like a good thing for me... even though the final result is mono, after amp has prosessed it, true...

But its all about preferences. Anyone wanting to save a bit of money, and not wanting the benefits of a stereo soundcard at home for vdj play, dvd, games etc, could surely go for a stereo splitter.... that works fine ;) no prob...

final thoughts for me, happy usb stereo card user...
(and indigo i would recommend too... cardbus card)

dj in norway

发表时间 Sat 04 Sep 04 @ 2:28 pm
thanks for the information everyone. I finally got the lappy and will use an extigy for my virtual dj fun!!! loving version 2.02, this just keeps getting better all the time. makes even my shoddy mixing sound decent, good work teamers!

发表时间 Wed 08 Sep 04 @ 1:39 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)