快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: "Ducking" for microphone? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

mrSimonPRO InfinityMember since 2004
There is a technique I once saw Steve Jobs call "ducking", I have no idea if thats the real term.

When you talk in the mic, the music's volume is automatically lowered. This'd be great since I use Virtual DJ for broadcasting. Is this at all possible?

If not, is there a plug-in, or external volume controlling application that does this?

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 6:51 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
its just compression, and maybe a limiter. These tricks have been used in broadcasting for years. Look up art's tube mp, its the best bang for the buck.

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 7:03 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Isn't it just talkover? Alot of mixers have a talkover function that lowers the volume of the music when the mic is used.

I've seen alot of PA amps with this feature as well...although obviously it depends or what you're using.

P

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 8:45 pm
Cyder's right......a side chain on yer compressor will force the music to duck under mic volume.....that's if you know how to do it with a compressor, not that it's hard to do.

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 10:00 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
its built into the mk2 dj console :) if you want a cheap option

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 10:02 pm
i'll bet it can't julienne fries.......

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 10:30 pm
lol you never know :)

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 10:34 pm
Combination huuka and coffemaker, Also makes Julien Fries!!!

Will not Break

It Broke

发表时间 Fri 16 Feb 07 @ 11:32 pm
the genie.....

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 12:34 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
called auto-talkover by most people/brands. you may be able to do a simmilar thing with a comp and a limiter but there are easier methods

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 4:06 pm
im new here and was wondering if anybody knows if its possible to use the microphone on mydj mixstation3?

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 4:52 pm

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 5:00 pm
You could always just turn the fader down so that the music is low enough that your voice can be heard over the music.

I've always hated the "talkover" function on most mixers I've used. With a half hour practice you can have a good feel for when to lower and talk and raise volume down and sound pretty good at it.

Unless You're scared of the mic.

I'm always Surprised at how many DJ's are Terrified of a talkover mic.

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 11:21 pm
exactly....our club mixer is this cheap behringer imitation of a good pioneer.....it has really appalling onboard fx and really appalling fake surround mode......it also has really appalling talk over, i actually use the talk over though cuz i've gotten use to "working" the mic ...if that makes any sense.....i hope i remembered to say cheap behringer somewhere.......

发表时间 Sat 17 Feb 07 @ 11:30 pm
Hey I realize this post is old but for those of you still looking to achieve this, you can use the following script.

PLEASE NOTE:
"X" can be a number between "-99" and "+99" but obviously for this purpose we keep it in the negative. Shortcut must be held down while speaking.
(Preferred shortcut)
deck active set_gain -X while_pressed & mic while_pressed

PS. Sorry for the hard drop, I did try (attempt found below) to set it up so that the gain would gradually fade to a specified point and then stop, but to no avail. Should any programmers appreciate my attempt, please do try an attempt yourself then post your script below. It would go a long way to making this feature a reality!
FAILED ATTEMPT: deck active gain -6 ? set_gain -6 : gain -1 while_pressed & mic while_pressed

Happy mixing!
Regards,
Stefan

发表时间 Tue 13 Jun 17 @ 9:05 am

LOL!

That being said, a complete "Talk over" function with fading and toggle button (not gate mode) is this:

repeat_stop 'IncreaseGain' & repeat_stop 'DecreaseGain' & repeat_stop 'GainKeeper' & toggle 'TALKOVER' & var_equal 'TALKOVER' 1 ? mic on & repeat_start_instant 'DecreaseGain' 50ms & param_bigger gain 0.15 ? repeat_stop 'DecreaseGain' & repeat_start_instant 'GainKeeper' 5ms & load_pulse ? gain 0.275 : nothing : gain -1 : repeat_stop 'DecreaseGain' & repeat_stop 'GainKeeper' & mic off & repeat_start_instant 'IncreaseGain' 50ms & param_bigger gain 0.5 ? gain +1 : param_smaller 0.5 ? gain 0.5 & repeat_stop 'IncreaseGain' & repeat_stop 'DecreaseGain' : gain 0.5 & repeat_stop 'IncreaseGain' & repeat_stop 'DecreaseGain'

The red part determines the speed of volume reduction. The bigger the number, the slower the reduction gets
The green part determines the low volume threshold. The smaller this number is the lower the volume of the deck gets
The blue part determines the speed of volume restoration. The bigger the number, the slower the restoration gets

发表时间 Tue 13 Jun 17 @ 9:22 am
OMF!!

That is absolutely legendary! *Throws arms up in celebration and does a lil dance*

Despite putting my attempt to absolute shame! This is PRECISELY what I was hoping for and am so very glad I decided to post it nun the less!

You're the s**t man!!!
Really can't thank you enough but THANK YOU for sharing!

发表时间 Tue 13 Jun 17 @ 10:06 am
Riko81Home userMember since 2018
Hi Guys,

This didn't work for me for some reason, trying to understand what am I missing here? - any help will do...

Under VDJ 8 - settings - Controller Mapping - Keyboard (custom mapping) - I've entered a new action with the script provided here (2 messages before)
with the key "Alt + X" but no ducking is being done while i'm playing music and talking to the the mic.

Thanks!

发表时间 Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 1:10 pm
How have you got things configured? Where's your mic plugged in? What does your audio setup in VDJ look like (post a prtscrn)?

发表时间 Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 1:42 pm
Riko81Home userMember since 2018

发表时间 Mon 01 Jan 18 @ 5:31 pm
71%