快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Hearing Protection?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

This may sound like a dumb question... but does anybody use any type of hearing protection while dj'ing? I used a mixer last night with extremely high output to the headphones, and even with the volume knob almost all the way down, it was still very powerful.

I don't have ringing in my ears, but they are very sore today and i have to have the t.v. at low volume and can't listen to any music at all.

I've used foam earplugs sometimes when going to clubs, but is it possible to have hearing protection while dj'ing and still be able to hear well enough to cue up and beatmatch songs?

dave

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 12:45 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Did you try turning the gain down on VDJ ? What were u running the db's at ?

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 12:57 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I remember when i started dj'ing in my ...15 (i'm 37 now)
i had a bad experience about this.
The sound was very loud, and one night suddenly, i was
hearing a continious 1 khz "tone" (something like the vdj timecode... back at the 80's...)
I was hearing this tone for a few days, even in absolute
silence, day and night.
This happened to me one more time at the same club.
Since then i'm very careful with my ears and i not allow
any "bad" sound system to destroy them, because, first of all,
our ears are our first "tools" for this job.
I can't think about a deaf dj....playing like Bethowen...
Anyway,
last year i played in a club 3 days a week, along with a "younger" (18 years old) dj. He liked to hear "loud" but,
The sound from the monitor at the booth was very bad,
loud and destorted and i had to cut small pieces of soft paper (...like toilet paper...) to filter the sound and protect my ears.
I also lowered the amplifier for the both monitor to reduce
distortion, when i played alone.
So you have to balance the speakers sound and the headphones (levels) to hear both without fatigue and without
distortion. A clean sound is needed for good mixing.
Also keep in mind that you need good closed-back headphones
in a club, i use senheissers HD-270 at the moment.
What headphones do you use,
(others users ? What headphones ?)

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 2:36 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
sounds like an ground loop problem, search the forum and you will find links to ground isolators which will fix this problem

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 2:54 am
Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention, this wasn't with VDJ, it was with regular turntables and a pioneer mixer at a club. I use Technics RP-DJ1200 headphones. I've never had any problems with VDJ :)

It might just be from my inexperience and nervousness, and not having used a professional sound system before. I just know I definitely need to do something different if I'm going to attempt this again... I'm not too keen on the possibility of losing my hearing.

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 4:33 am
In Belgium one of our dj's, Frank Biazzi, has a rather nasty experience with that... 6 months ago he was spinning when suddenly he heard a "pop" in his ears. After the pop: deaf! Months later he still is deaf, so the man can't spin his music anymore. The worst that could happen to a deejay.

I have already had many times that my ears are 'over-saturated' with sound. I blew up two Pioneer HDJ-1000 in two months, meaning that the sound is too loud. I always have the problem to put the monitors too loud. This because I really need to hear the music clearly.

I know for a fact that dj Tiesto is one of the few deejays who listens very silent to music, in his headphone and his monitors. Armin Van Buuren has the same problem as us, he puts the sound really loud.

Although I neglict it myself, I would advice to be carefull with sound.

发表时间 Thu 12 Aug 04 @ 7:10 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
So..., i was lucky then..
After the "tone" comes "pop" and after "pop" comes "deaf" ..!
Be careful...

发表时间 Fri 13 Aug 04 @ 1:18 pm
vbjackPRO InfinityMember since 2004
If you really want to protect your ears from long term damage, do yourself a favor and practice DJing with low monitor levels. After awhile you should get used to it. I have been at it for over 15 years now and I can tell you there is nothing worse then hearing the ringing noise the next day for a week. I learned to work with low levels, and I know most DJ's like to hear it loud. You could also look into good ear plugs/filters, they do make them. now I am so used to having the music low it drives me crazy to listen to it loud. Listen to the experiences of the other posters on this thread it sounds like they speak from experience and it will be well worth it for you to take there advice and save yourself from long term damage.

-JaK

发表时间 Fri 13 Aug 04 @ 5:52 pm
As I've said it before, I'm totaly new to dj-ing... so I hope you won't mind the dumb questions in here, but with 'monitor', do you mean headphones? Because I also read about monitor speakers and such...

发表时间 Fri 13 Aug 04 @ 8:06 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I had a full hearing test last year. After 15 years of DJing, I figured my hearing would be at least beginning to fade. However, both ears tested normal in all frequency's. I was relieved and very pleased!

I'm not trying to say that you shouldn't worry about it, but I no longer loose any sleep over it.

:-)

发表时间 Fri 13 Aug 04 @ 8:25 pm
It's cool to read other people's opinions and advice. Thanks for the posts. I think i'm going to start mixing at lower headphone volumes, lower the monitor speaker volumes if they're overly loud, and invest in a decent pair of earplugs (probably in the $20-$30 range).

dave

发表时间 Sat 14 Aug 04 @ 1:23 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)