快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: New issue, now with 100% time code quality

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

ProtoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Everything is fine now. I have 100% all the way (well almost all the way, but it stays above 50% for the last 30 secods or so)

But I have the following issue: like 1 in 4 records I cannot get the pitch correct no matter what I do. If I stop both tracks to compare them, and I look at the waveform, the beats match in the middle perfectly, the green beats are before the red beats on the left and after the red beats on the right. This means that the space between the green beats is not equal. That can't be right.

If I pitch with the software, I get everyhting right again. Anyone encountered this problem? And if so, what can be done?

发表时间 Wed 04 Aug 04 @ 10:59 pm
"the beats match in the middle perfectly, the green beats are before the red beats on the left and after the red beats on the right. This means that the space between the green beats is not equal. That can't be right."

That's true, that is not right. It doesn't mean that, it means that the green beats are further apart then the red beats. If you align the middle beat it is normal that they are before the reds on the left, and after the reds on the right.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 10:16 am
So, to be clear, the green song is just stretched, or played at a lower pitch if they (the green and red song) should be the same.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 10:18 am
Normally the space between beats is almost the same, now it is quite different.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 04 @ 4:48 pm
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
This is because with the timecode vinyl's pitch is seen as a constant scratch-like speed-up or slow-down, not as an actual pictch change.
Due to the way of how the timecode is transmitted to the software, it's impossible to make the difference between when you actually move the pitch slider to a slower position on your turntable, from when you just brake the disc with your finger to make it go slower for a short while.
Thus, moving the pitch slider on your turntable is seen by virtualdj as if you where just constantly scratching the disc to make it goes slower (or faster).
That's why the bars in the rhythm display are not aligned correctly except from at the middle. But the song should be in sync anyway.

In fact, you should think about the pitch on the skin as the main pitch, and the pitch on the turntable as a pitch-bend

发表时间 Sun 08 Aug 04 @ 10:06 pm
Ok, I get it. I will check today to see how it works, but .....

..... this is quite disturbing news. Is it possible to make a pro version of VDJ where the pitch is set by the turntable? Or at least make it a switch which we can set in the option menu so we can chose to have a setup that is 100% controlled by the time coded vinyl.

I really appreciate the openess of your answer and I understand that all this development is really recent. Yet as you may know, my main concern is getting myself marketed towards clubs so I can make my money. Final Scratch has a big advantage here, because it works 100% with turntables only. I understand that only a small percentage of your users would use it this way, but in my opinion everybody would profit when VDJ was to be perceived as a pro product.

Does this all relate to the fact that there is no BPM calculations either when playing with time coded vinyl? I would love to see that too.

Thanks for the info anyway. That is a big help. One really notices it when you play two tunes with a big gap in the BPM, smaller gaps go unnoticed. I'll check it out and report back!

发表时间 Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 9:19 am
Dev staffHome userSenior staffMember since 2003
The competitor products suffer from the same problem, which is inherent to the timecode signal. But since in the other softwares you don't have the active waveform display like in vdj, you just don't know it.
If you just stop looking at the waveform display to mix and try to mix like a real DJ do, just using the headphone, then you'll see that the turntable pitch does exactly what it should do. (yes I know once you've got used to the active display, it's hard to switch back to regular djing).

发表时间 Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 10:33 am
djzeroPRO InfinityMember since 2003
could laways make a skin without the visual window, so there is no getting confused...

发表时间 Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 11:09 am
Ok, ok, I get the message haha. And I know I look too much to the waveform, but then again I also just listen like you said and it still seemed hard to get some songs right.

I own FS so I know how it works. Off course their waveforms are so unreadable that the effect would never be noticed.

Still handling the pitch difference as pitch bend instead of regular pitch increase seems a bit strange. I am not complaining, just observing. The effect should be the same, I agree. But it makes debugging just a little more difficult. In case of a problem where does it lie? With the tune, the turntable, the DJ or VDJ handling time code? Or even a record gone bad due to heat for instance.

发表时间 Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 11:42 am
Ummm.... @Dev Staff, please revise this statement:

"If you just stop looking at the waveform display to mix and try to mix like a real DJ do, just using the headphone"

may I suggest:
"If you just stop looking at the waveform display to mix and try to mix like -- TRADITIONAL Vinyl DJs -- do, just using the headphone"

发表时间 Mon 09 Aug 04 @ 3:28 pm
Ok, I got back to mixing, and with my new found knowledge I ignored all irregularities in front and after the current beat. Worked perfect! Nothing to complain anymore haha. Taking this stuff out for real next week for two shows.

BPM calculations would be nice, but are not necessary.

发表时间 Tue 10 Aug 04 @ 1:55 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
digijoc-Mele, Understand that sometimes there may be a language barrier in the translartion from french to english. I am the official english speaking teamer and I believe that the Dev staff meant exactly what you said. Thanks for your time.

发表时间 Wed 11 Aug 04 @ 12:49 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)