快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Newbie--Any Profressional Club Jocks Using This? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hey folks,

I'm a newbie to the whole laptop mixing thing so maybe a few of the professional club dj's who use Virtual DJ with a DAC-2 or 3.

I will be using the system 4 nights a week in a real nightclub for a minimum of 5 hours to 7 hours max per night.

Questions:
1) what laptop will do the job? (no skips, no stuttering, etc)
2) how will the dac-2 or 3 work with the software?
3) will a 500GB Lacie 5400rpm external do the job (files not stutering, skipping etc)
4) do I need an external sound card (gigaport, etc)? ie: Left Deck Channel 1 on Rane mixer, Right Deck Channel 2 on Rane mixer.
5) everytime I add a file is there anything particular I have to do or is it just a matter of drop and play?

I was really looking at PCDJ FX but I don't like the part about having to play the file first when added to the system. Being a Billboard Club Chart Reporter and Sirius Mixshow jock I get music very frequently...you can imagine...and I am after a system where I can add files to play for a few months and then delete.

What I am used to using are the Denon CDJ products (DN9000, DN2600-F, and currently 2 DN6000). I would like something to be like using those controllers.

I've been a CDJ since 1996 going back to Pioneer's CDJ 700s'.

Feel free to reply here or email me directly at --@--.--

Thanks!

-J

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry JayMSY no email address is allowed from a demo user

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 12:52 am

1) For audio mixing any new laptop will do the job. You dont need a real powerfull laptop to mix audio. Although you should try to keep the OS (Windows) as clean as possible, to avoid it getting messed up...

2) The DAC works great with the software. They are supported nativly, and there are mappers that you can use to map any functions to any buttons, change behaviors etc ;) works great.

3) The HD will work fine too. All songs are loaded into ram, so VDJ plays from the RAM and not from the HD. The speed of the HD will of course influence how quicly the file is loaded, but there will be minor differences between yours and a faster HD. A Mp3 loads in about 1-2 secs ;)

4) You do need an external soundcard yes. You need to have two stereo outs, to connect to external mixer (one for each virtual deck in VDJ), so Gigaport or similar cards will work great. But since you have cd players, consider getting a card that also have two line-ins, such as U46DJ, so that you can use your CD players with timecode CD's (Free) to control VDJ ;)

5) drag drop and play;) First time its analyzed, and all saved in XML database ;)

And with timecode CD's, you can use your Denon cdplayers to control VDJ, and play mp3s just as they where loaded on to your decks;)

Hope that helps;)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:09 am
Thanks dj-in-norway!

What about a DELL? I've read some posts saying don't get a DELL. Unfortunately that is what my parents prefer but they are getting it for me as my college graduation/christmas/birthday gift. I was looking at going top of the line so it leaves me some room to grow.

The laptop would be dedicated strictly for DJing. It wouldn't be connected to the net. Any updates I would need to do with drivers, etc would be just put it on my network and move files over that way. I plan on using Win XP Pro.

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:36 am

The Dell "issues" i think are first of all in regards to mixing videos.
Some budget Dells have low-end video cards (models without dedicated ram).
But thats not unique to Dell ;)

For audio mixing, this is not an issue;)

As far as internet goes, sure the cleaner the better.. But I have mine at internet, and use it for other apps, such as Adobe Photoshop and lots more. But as long as they are professional apps, that install drivers like they should, I've never had any issues.
What you should be more carefull about is installing loads of shareware apps, that are coded bad, and might interfear with bad drivers /dll files etc;)

And you always have the possibility of a dual boot;) One windows for what every you like, and one windows for clean DJing OS. Easy to make ;)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:42 am
Hi,

I've got a dell laptop, no problems here!

There's some guides on how to get your computer running smootly in the blogs section of the website.

DAC-3 is great with Virtual DJ by the way :)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:49 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
id avoide dell had problems in the past with one

and their support is lowsy

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 1:52 am
Norway,

A question about the U46DJ card you mentioned. If I get that I can use the Denon controllers instead of the DAC-3? How would that work and I would still use the U46DJ to send the audio out of the laptop into it then into the mixer? I'm guessing that is what the 2 stereo inputs are for and what goes in those inputs? The outputs of the laptop or the Denon 6000?

I guess you could say i'm a tad confused. How does the outputs of the laptop so I could use Channel 1 for left side of VDJ and Channel 2 on mixer for right side of VDJ.

Thanks guys, all fo this information you've provided is helpful.

J

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 2:11 am

You can use the Denons instead of the DAC yes, with a free timecode CD.
That way you'd be controlling VDJ just as a CD on the Denons.

Buttons such as play, cue, stop, pitch slider etc will work as controllers for VDJ.

It works like this :

- The Denon decks have a special timecode CD inside
- The signal goes from the Denons into the line ins of the soundcard (for example U46dj)
- VDJ hears the signal, and can tell what you do at the Denons (play, stop, pitch, seek etc)
- VDJ plays out the mp3 signal accordingly to the line outs of the soundcard.
- The 2 line outs are connected to two channels at your external mixer, and you mix just as when using decks, or turntables... Crossfade, volume, gain, EQ at mixer

The soundcard needs TWO lineouts, so each line out has a seperate stereo signal for EACH deck in VDJ..

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 2:17 am

Dj Gauge demonstrating timecode vinyls

This video should give you the idea, although he uses turntables, and scratch...

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 2:29 am
That was sweet.

Well I won't be doing any scratching just your simple beatmixing and overlaying.

I just got off the phone with DELL and got a quote. Below are the specs. Please tell me if this is overkill. :-)

XPS M1710, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 (2GHz/667MHz/ 4MB)
17 inch UltraSharp TrueLife Wide-screen WUXGA with Black LCD Cover, for XPS M1710
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 677MHZ,2 DIMM, for XPS M1710
256MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900, for XPS M1710
60GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive for XPS M1710
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 English
Windows Media Player 10
Integrated 10/100/1000 NetworkCard and Modem for Inspiron
8X DVD+/-RW Drive, for XPS M1710
Intel PRO/Wireless 3945 802.11a/g Mini Card (54Mbps) for XPS M1710
80 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for XPS M1710

And a bunch of other crap that I will be removing. It is also Vista capable.

Your thoughts?

-J

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:07 am

lol! ;)

its TOTALY overkill!!

That laptop will not only ROCK audio mixing, but will work great for video mixing too ;)

If your parents is getting it, be damn happy;) But its really overkill ;)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:09 am
Okay how about your thoughts on this....remember this little ditty will be getting used 4 nights a week for a minimum of 5 hours nonstop and sometimes even 7 in a hot smokey environment.

This lappy is a lil easier on the pocketbook but will it get the job done with no files stuttering, skipping etc. That is a DJ's nightmare!

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Professional
17 inch Wide Screen XGA+ Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz
100GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7900 GS

Whatcha think?

-J

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:25 am

It will rock too ;))

Its dual core, 2 gigs of ram!

PLENTY! hehe

Mosts djs here have single core, and about 500mb of ram ;)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:31 am

Btw, almost none here have audio skips.
The thing you might have read about skipping, is usually djs mixing video ;)
And thats still pretty new, and still work in progress.. And even because some use graphic cards that are not made for it.

As far as audio mixing goes, I have not even half of that power that laptop you are looking at has,)
And I mix at club 2x 6 hours a week ;) Never a skip...

Skips are not really due to PC powers anyways, but one of these:
- Bad drives for the soundcard (crappy models, or crappy internal cards)
- IRQ conflicts (rare for audio, but can cause usb dropout of sound for split second).

IRQ conflicts can be solved pretty easily usually.. And is not very common problem ;)

So I can safely say that you will have flawless use of the laptops you are looking at, if you get a pretty decent soundcard:)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:45 am
Well looks like I might go for the Inspiron since its a lil easier on the pocketbook and you say it will do the job, although the monthly payments for the XPS isn't so bad, although I do have to fork out the dough for the DAC and the soundcard setup. Hmmmm.

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:55 am
So for the soundcard what are some other options than the U46DJ? Although I would have to really consider that one considering 2 clubs I play at both have the DN 6000 decks. One club might be getting the Pioneer CDJ 1000's though.

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 3:58 am

U46dj is a great card, other good cards are Maya44, Soundblaster top line,M-Audio cards and really most cards that can run ASIO drivers in low latency ;)

ASIO is needed for timecode use (latency)

For non timecode use, where you use a DAC instead of timecode on cd players, there is a whole bunch of cards that works good, like Gigaport, Soundblaster, M-Audio cards etc. You dont need two line ins then, and dont need asio, so you can get a cheaper cards.

The only real crap cards are internal laptops cards (usually), and no-brand name cards that cost very little ;)

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 4:08 am
Thanks. All of this has been real useful. I have downloaded the demo version. Too bad I can't try it with a DAC-3 (don't have one) to see if it is indeed the software for me.

Before Hurricane Katrina hit I had a DAC-3 on pre-order but had to cancel that after the storm because of what happened and priorities had to be changed.

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 4:26 am

Good to hear you are doing better now.
A think like Katrina would change anybodys life...

Hope you have fun with the demo, and if you have any questions dont hessitate to ask

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 12:01 pm
socrossPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hey Jay -

If you don't scratch, then you should think about NOT getting cd players/turntables for TCV. Your life will be much simpler!!! I've been club DJing for the past year without them and I've never looked back!

Just my 2 cents...

发表时间 Thu 21 Dec 06 @ 9:14 pm
77%