快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Bose 802s Any good nowadays SH? or buy new?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi
My old Peavey speakers are getting a bit beat up and I was thinking of getting a new setup. I was favouring getting some Mackie 450s bit they are very expensive - Around £1000 a pair in the UK. Can just afford that but would prefer not to spend so much.

A friend suggested buying something secondhand and that Bose 802s were still good and were on Ebay for around £380 a pair.

Has anybody any suggestions for secondhand speakers. Or would you recommend buying new? I bought my Peaveys in 1988 brand new, they seemed a lot of money then, but they have served me well.

发表时间 Sat 15 Apr 06 @ 11:46 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
the 802s are great quality speakers but recones kits can be hard to find and are expensive, apparently they need to be driven quite hard to sound at their best and they dont have much low end, thats what you get for having a large number of small drivers tho i guess. Great speakers but not much bass apparently. Oh and you will also need bose signal processor (they have a special bose name for it) to get the most out of them.

发表时间 Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 5:20 am
Thanks DJXeo for replying

I used to hear them used by bands in the 80s and 90s and they sounded good then. Maybe a pair of those, with the controller and a bass bin would be an answer.

Andy

发表时间 Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 12:16 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree that the 802s sound very good. The recone kits are actually easy to find on ebay. Looks like the hard part is actually reconing them.
You will definitely a separate bass bin, and you should use the bose controller too which is also easy to find on ebay.
Don't forget though that you will need power. The Mackie's are powered speakers, so remember that although it seems that the Bose may be a less expensive way to go, you will end up spending more once you get that system all setup. You could probably just use whatever amp you've been using to drive your Peaveys, but remember that you could sell that and make some cash if you get powered speakers ;)

发表时间 Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 3:06 pm

Thanks

Good Advice. I suppose the final thing is which would sound better, the Bose with bass bin or the Mackies - the overall cost would probably be a bit less for the Bose setup and might still find that the Mackies weren't much in the Bass departm ent?

Andy

发表时间 Sun 16 Apr 06 @ 4:23 pm
Hi,

I've used the mackie srm 450s a few times, (although i don't own any at the moment) they handle bass better than the majority of speakers with a 12" cone! (there's a push switch on the back of them to increase the bass aswell.)

My 2 cents would be go for the mackies, much easier to set up than an amp, crossover, signal processor, etc...

发表时间 Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 12:07 am
HI Guys!

I have used Bose 802's and 502's for the last 8 years and they have never ever let me down!! I have never blown a speaker and I have never re-coned any. If you do decide to buy 802's be sure to get at least the series 2's as the series 1's do have a problem with the cones perishing!!

I have 2 sets of 802's and 1 set of 502 bins. The bins can take 900w music power each at 8 ohms and the 802's will handle 425 into each speaker at 8 Ohms..... So 2 802's will handle 850w at 4 Ohms etc..... I have played dance music for most of those years with my band and also DJing so the speakers have been pushed hard!!

2 802's would only be ok for background music or speech - if you added a bin you could play some dj stuff through for a small venue!! - 4 802's on their own are ok for a venue of around 120 people but you will have to watch the bass!! Running them with their 302 or 502 bins is a completely different kettle of fish and the Bose bass will thump your chest and you could easily entertain 250 - 400 people with a full bi-amped rig of 3.5k and you will not have to worry about a distorted sound - It is a must that you should use the Bose System Controller with these speakers..... They sound crap without it!!

At the end of the day - If you buy the Bose now at a good price you will not sustain much depreciation on them - second hand 802's have hovered around the £500 mark for the last 10 years.... You will ovcourse have to spend £100 - £350 for a system controller unless you get one with the speakers you buy.... Bins are going to set you back at least £275+ each and you will have to buy amps for them as well!! Remember the Bose Bins retail at around £1400 each and it's about the same for a new set of 802's so these second hand prices are real bargains!!

A lot of guys are heading down the powered speaker route for ease of use etc - I know a couple of guys with Mackie stuff but they do not push it as hard as I push the Bose - so I wouldn't like to comment on them - They do have a nice sound from what I have heard..... and their owners do nothing else except sing their praises!!

Good luck in whatever you go for!!

Rob

发表时间 Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 4:21 am
Thanks for the really helpful comments and reviews from you all. I'm still thinking and will probably buy later this week.

Cheers

发表时间 Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 11:22 am
At the moment I'm leaning a bit towards going for an active setup, mainly for ease of use. (I started DJing in 1974 - I know I was only 7 at the time hehe, but still like things easier nowadays.)

So that begins to look like the Mackie SRM450s which are around £950. But I have seen the JBL Eon 15 GII 15" woofer model at around £100 less. That looks a good deal, a bigger cone and saving money.

So I'm going to choose between these two models and then get a secondhand bass bin off Ebay. Anybody got any comments before I get my wallet out.

Asymptote

发表时间 Mon 17 Apr 06 @ 12:40 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)