快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Question about VBR and compression ....

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I've bought about 20 CDS in which I am ripping for use on my CD (mixes, archiving, etc). I'm using CDEX since it's basically a scaled down version of EAC (All the CDs are new ... So I don't have to worry about error correction). I want to do everything properly so i don't have to worry about re-ripping in the future.

I've done sound tests on various bitrates/ripping modes. My ears and $40 headphones can't detect a difference between 160 and 320 KBPS. What I WANT is the MAXIMUM sound quality possible without archiving WAVs. I've played around with VBR and the results are VERY impressive. However, having a VBR set at min. of 96 Kbps doesn't give me the feeling I'm maintaining sound quality. Also, VBR files showed screwed up elapsed/remaining times in atomix.

The R3mix preset in CDEX shows a min bitrate of 96/MAX 224 .... J-Stereo enabled ... VBR method 1 ... "on the fly MP3 encoding"

What exactly is J-Stereo ?
If I want the MAXIUM Mp3 quality, should I just rip @ 320 kpbs straight up ?
Should I just do VBR ? If so, should I have it at 160 min/320 max ?

Thanks for all your help !!

发表时间 Wed 23 Apr 03 @ 2:23 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I use the R3Mix setting myself when I rip a cd and just want to listen to it on my portable. The quality you get from the R3Mix will be more then adequate. Depending on how complicated the audio file is, you'll get anywhere from 150 to 180kbps average, which falls right around the 160kbps CBR quality. If its a really simple file, it can average even less.

The J-Stereo, aka Joint Stereo, just refers to an encoding method used for encoding stereo files. Remember that mp3 file are not actually audio files, but mathematical representations of what the audio sould sound like, so it doesn't go by samples, but by frames. Each frame contains a block of data (kb) that tells the player what that particular section of audio would sound like. Some audio files have alot of stereo elements to it (panning instruments). Some have alot of mono audio (vocals). Some, may have a sound coming only from one side.

Using Joint Stereo, the encoder will decide whether for a particular frame it sould use the Stereo method to encode the frame, or the Mono/Side method. Since encoding a frame in Stereo leaves less kb available for each channel then encoding a frame in mono, its best to just use Joint Stereo all the time and let the encoder decide what to do. Just make sure you do NOT use Forced Joint Stereo if you value good stereo quality from your files. Forced Joint Stereo will encode all the frames using only the Mono/Side method. Stereo seperation will not be that good, and any surround encoding that was in the orignal file will be destroyed (pratically everything released now has some surround information in it).

As far as what to use when you rip, thats up to you. Me personally, I rip everything at 320kbps. However, when its just a mix cd that I only listen to, I just use the R3Mix setting. As I've always stated, you would use at the minimum 192kbps CBR. If you go with VBR, the R3Mix setting sould be more then enough. As far as for archiving, I'd also use 320kbps.

Guess you need to debate with yourself abit. If you have the hard drive space, go ahead and rip @ 320 and keep the CDs in a safe place. Unless your hard drive goes kaput, you'll have the mp3s for a long time and you'll have as good as quality as you can get from a mp3. Using a VBR of 160-320 sould give you some smaller file that may average around 200.

Grimm

(PS, if none of this makes sense, its cause I'm half asleep. Anything needs to be cleared up just ask. ;)

发表时间 Wed 23 Apr 03 @ 11:44 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)