快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Combining 60's/90's music

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi all,

I've got to do a gig which is entitled a "60's to 90's disco". Not meaning a disco for old people, but a disco with music ranging from the 60's to the 90's. I'm totally ok mixing dance music from the 90's (hey, it doesn't get much easier than pressing the 'Automix Now' button!), but what am I to do with 60's music (stuff like 'The Twist' etc)? The tempo of the old stuff is usually far slower than modern dance music, so the pitch adjustment would be in the order of 30-40%! Obviously this isn't going to mix real well. So would be best thing be to do a set of modern stuff, and then a set of old stuff, and then back to the modern stuff etc? If so, what would a reasonable length of each set be in this case? I'm thinking 20 minutes of each type of music? Does this sound reasonable?
Also what sort of break should there be between each set?
Is there a better way to approach this situation?

Any and all ideas are most welcome!

Cheers...

发表时间 Sun 30 Dec 01 @ 9:44 am
I've tried mixing old music with new and one thing that I think people like is when you put them together by having a bass beat over an old song which sounds really cool. Also I know what you mean by having to change the pitch drastically to get the same BPM but you don't need to match the BPM to make it blend together. Instead just make sure the BPMs of both songs are multiples of the same number. For example if you've got a dance song going at 150 BPM and you wanna bring in a slower song, then bring in the slower song at 75 BPM. However, this can get really tricky but produces a great effect. The problem with doing sets based on certain eras is that some people are gonna dance when the 60's stuff is on only while others will dance only when the 90's stuff is on. So you should mix the eras together because you get a much more interesting show but of course you have to be practical and do what sounds good.

发表时间 Mon 31 Dec 01 @ 5:48 pm
Thanks for the reply.

I think you make a very valid point in that it would be stupid to have people sitting down for half an hour when the 'old' songs were on, and the other half sitting down for ages when the new songs were on. I've managed to get some new re-mixes of some of the older songs, which mix together much better than the originals, so I'll take your advice and mix the old and new together.

Thanks again...

发表时间 Fri 04 Jan 02 @ 12:37 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)