快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: Prepare Stems Option not Always Appearing for Tidal Cached Files
I experienced this at a gig this weekend where my prepare stems options was missing from the context menu and download to cache was unresponsive. I restarted the program (thankfully I had a second laptop and 2 usb inputs to avoid interrupting the set) and the downloads started working again but the prepare stems option was still missing. I then loaded up on my home desktop the next day and the option was there and working properly. Is this a bug in the current build or is there something I need to do to avoid this inconsistency? (I am subscribed to the DJ add-on for Tidal) And before anyone asks, I could still prepare stems for my local files and normally can prepare stems with this machine, even if it takes 3-5 minutes per song.

发表时间 Sun 21 Apr 24 @ 7:05 pm
I'm pretty sure you can't save stems files from Tidal, as the music doesn't belong to you.

发表时间 Sun 21 Apr 24 @ 7:25 pm
That's a very good question, GroovinDJ. ie: If one can indeed, save stems for Tidal cached tracks.

Previously, Tidal track caching was added, when Stems was removed.

And now that Stems are allowed with Tidal, and Caching also exists (believe caching is a unique feature of Tidal w VDJ).

Are saved stems available for Tidal cached tracks?

Evidence for:
1) the R-click menu shows, an option for saving prepared stems for the track.

2) loading a cached Tidal track to a deck computes the stems and, saves them, if the option: stemsSavedStems is set to Automatic

3) the initial load and save of the cached track's stems, all works, and track gets the "has saved stems" icon.

4) can R-click track and "Delete stems" from menu.

Evidence against:
1) seems to almost use as much GPU to compute the stems again, when loading of a Tidal cached track (w saved stems).

2) the loading of a Tidal cached track (w saved stems), works but outputs a error.
DRM warning: corrupt header for file C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\.... FULL PATH....

would be interesting to know what the status is for saving stems for Tidal cached tracks.

Win 10

发表时间 Sun 21 Apr 24 @ 8:14 pm
groovindj wrote :
I'm pretty sure you can't save stems files from Tidal, as the music doesn't belong to you.

This is objectively false. When they re-enabled stems in tidal with the DJ add-on, downloading to cache becomes a file that you can move from computer to computer and as long as you refresh the DRM every couple of days, is 100 percent yours to use. Once downloaded, you have the same option as any local file to save prepared stems which for me is essential since my laptops can't do it live natively but my desktop can pump them out in a fraction of the time. I downloaded over 100 tracks for this multicultural wedding and saved stems, then transferred those files to my 2 laptops. The only issue for me now is being able to calculate stems for the live requests at the event (which usually takes a song or two to prepare but at least I don't have to worry about the internet cutting out mid track from streaming rather than caching).

发表时间 Mon 22 Apr 24 @ 12:00 am
IIDEEJAYII wrote :

Evidence against:
1) seems to almost use as much GPU to compute the stems again, when loading of a Tidal cached track (w saved stems).

2) the loading of a Tidal cached track (w saved stems), works but outputs a error.
DRM warning: corrupt header for file C:\Users\USERNAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\.... FULL PATH....

Win 10

I haven't experienced this error yet personally but my use case is for laptops that can't live compute stems but can use prepared stems and even prep them (though slowly).

发表时间 Mon 22 Apr 24 @ 12:04 am
Once again, the tracks from Tidal are RENTED - they DO NOT belong to you!

Hence they are DRM protected and cannot be recorded or saved to separated stems files.

Yes they can be cached but those files are proprietary and copy protected. They can be moved from computer to computer, but will only play in VDJ when you have a suitable active Tidal subscription.

If stems from a Tidal track were being saved, there would be no re-calculation when the track was reloaded. If you're seeing options to save stems from a rented track then this is a bug.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 6:35 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Stems from online sources can be saved, and they will be copy-protected just like the saved cache files.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 7:04 pm
groovindj wrote :
Once again, the tracks from Tidal are RENTED - they DO NOT belong to you!

Hence they are DRM protected and cannot be recorded or saved to separated stems files.

Yes they can be cached but those files are proprietary and copy protected. They can be moved from computer to computer, but will only play in VDJ when you have a suitable active Tidal subscription.

If stems from a Tidal track were being saved, there would be no re-calculation when the track was reloaded. If you're seeing options to save stems from a rented track then this is a bug.

I didn't argue that they aren't rented, but saving stems has nothing to do with this. The stems functionality was fully reenabled by Tidal with their DJ add-on this past month (which was also how it was before the temporary removal of the function in October). Whether they are live calculated or saved has nothing to do with the DRM but the fact that Tidal has again enabled the feature in Virtual DJ.

My original post that I am still waiting for an answer for from a knowledgeable team member is why the context option for saving prepared stems disappears sporadically and why I had to reboot my program to get it to download to cache while I was still connected to the internet. Neither time did the save stems option appear at the gig, but it still works as expected on my home computer.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 7:09 pm
Adion wrote :
Stems from online sources can be saved

This is only from online sources where a download to cache option is available though, yes?

When was this feature announced? I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere.

Before I posted earlier, I did check to see if I could save stems from Deezer and the option was not available.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 7:23 pm
user12428911 wrote :
saving stems has nothing to do with this

Yes it does, because when stems were previously available for Tidal, it was real time only - you could not save them (protected or otherwise).

Apparently now this has changed (see Adion's post) but I guess only for files that can be cached.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 7:28 pm
groovindj wrote :
user12428911 wrote :
saving stems has nothing to do with this

Yes it does, because when stems were previously available for Tidal, it was real time only - you could not save them (protected or otherwise).

Apparently now this has changed (see Adion's post) but I guess only for files that can be cached.

I appreciate your input on this but I am still focused on the missing options in the right click context menu. I was already aware of the working stem preparation as I had done so before the event. I just want to know why the option disappeared and they were cached files.

发表时间 Tue 23 Apr 24 @ 7:46 pm
groovindj wrote :
Adion wrote :
Stems from online sources can be saved

This is only from online sources where a download to cache option is available though, yes?

When was this feature announced? I don't remember seeing it mentioned anywhere.

Before I posted earlier, I did check to see if I could save stems from Deezer and the option was not available.

Deezer doesn't allow caching at all, so therefore indeed stems caching is not available either.
It was added for iDJPool quite some time ago I think.

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 4:28 am
In order to save prepared stems you would need to be connected to the internet, so perhaps that was the problem?

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 4:33 am
When I load a Tidal cached track that has stems saved. ,
see video:
https://gyazo.com/2c5689fbfea9106e346de47ffc3cc2ef

as one double clicks the track to load (color rule, Yellow = loaded track)
one can see the "saved stems" icon marker disappear... when loaded... and then returns after the stems have been recalculated.
(note it took about 12 sec to fully calculate the stems, video recording process, was paused, to fit all in the 7sec of video)

and if a Tidal cached track has stems, loading the track creates an error: (see my previous post above, for more details)

what could be the cause of this behavior.. or can this be reproduced, or is this unique to my configuration?

win 10
tested w 8095, 8124

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 5:45 am
Not sure, seems to be working fine here. No errors shown and not recalculating.

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 7:30 am
Adion wrote :
In order to save prepared stems you would need to be connected to the internet

Even if the file is cached, saving stems requires a connection?

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 9:47 am
Yes, since they need to be copy-protected

发表时间 Wed 24 Apr 24 @ 10:30 am