快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Re: Laptop DJing vs. Controller DJing

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi, I was just curious what method of DJing you prefer (i.e. laptop, or controller), and why do you prefer one over the other? Because I have been a laptop DJ for years, but I am thinking about switching over to being a controller DJ. And if I did, I was just curious if I would I like it? Or wished that I had just stuck to be a laptop DJ? Thanks, Scott

发表时间 Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 10:57 pm
Controller gives a much more tactile "hands-on" feel, where you have clear and dedicated buttons, sliders, knobs and jogwheel to control everything.
For sure prefer that myself, it give a much better feel of everything, and allows better mixing...

On top of that, most controllers comes with sound card built in, and extra stuff, that makes life much easier ;-) Everything "in the box" :)

发表时间 Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 11:00 pm
Okay thank you very much for your detailed opinion. I really appreciate it! Any brand of controller you prefer to use? And if so, what is the specific brand name and model?

发表时间 Sun 19 Jul 20 @ 11:04 pm
I think everyone who's DJed with a controller before prefers to having a controller than not having one.
It's just a lot harder to beatmatch or do more complex transitions without the controls designed for this.
My first controller was the Numark Mixtrack Quad Pro and it's a decent controller, but the controls are slightly delayed.
I own a Pioneer DDJ-1000 now, but that's not an entry level controller, at least considering the cost.
I think if i had to buy an entry level controller, i would go for something similar to the Mixtrack Quad Pro, but sacrificing the 4 deck-capabilities for some better snappiness.
I'd just watch a bunch of reviews on YouTube and spend up to ~250€. But you can already get controllers that will not make you sound any different from club DJs for 150€ i'd say. Pioneer makes good controllers, but they have their brand tax because they are popular and almost all clubs have Pioneer gear, so you're generally paying more for Pioneer, unless you're buying used maybe.
Denon is also a popular brand with high customer satisfaction (at least the DJs i know are happy with their Denon gear) so if you see a Denon controller you like for a good price, you could go that way.

发表时间 Tue 21 Jul 20 @ 4:14 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
Before I bought my DJ Controller, I mixed with the keyboard on a laptop for a few years. I found it limiting and frustrating at times because you can't do 2 things at the same time without work-a-round mappings and the use of smooth channel faders. I didn't know what to expect when I purchased a Hercules DJControl InPulse 200 and I thought I might as well start off on a budget and it was the best investment I've ever made.

I don't feel like upgrading to anything better at the moment because it does what I want except it only has 4 pads per deck. I still use the kb/mouse to save wear and tear on my controller regardless. I also use my keyboard and Logitech peripherals for Effects and now stems too. For $97 (at the time) it's worth every penny and the 4 channel sound card sounds way better than my ASUS laptop (I also use a UMC202HD along with it).

I couldn't go back to just a laptop anymore (I'm on a PC now). I need real faders, real filter knobs, the crossfader's useful and it's so compact that it barely takes up any desk space (smaller than my keyboard). I have to say after my last mix and first time using Stems, I was able to mix faster, cleaner, more harmonic than ever before. Now if a track is 07A and another track 08A, it might be too busy, and I would have had to skip that transition for another song, but now with Stems, if you mute Bass or Kick or both on one track/deck, you can make smooth clean transitions/blends that wouldn't have been possible even with Filters or LPF. I've watched countless VDJ Stem Videos on YouTube and it seems those DJs don't actually demonstrate how to use them well, they just showcase how it sounds like when only one song's playing, but when you blend more than 1, it sounds smooth if you know how to use it.

I truly feel my DJ Controller's worth every penny. If you've made over 20 or 25 mixes by now, then you owe it to yourself to have the right control over your mixes.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 2:50 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)