快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJ on laptop with Centrino cpu ? - Page: 2

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I too will now soon buy a new laptop; too many heat problems with my Toshiba lappy affecting sound, drop outs, etc, tried most all solutions to no avail. I'm looking at the centrino specifically because of the way it's better at managing heat. Jim Nordic and djsmoothvanhousen, I know u reported no problems originally. Any updates on that since your original posts? Centrino still working fine, no trade off in performance vs. p4, no heat issues, sound dropouts? Anyone else using intel centrino? Thanks.

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 1:57 am
i would kill for a multi instance skin but not widescreen :(

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 4:04 am
Hi Mr. K,

My original experiences (see above) still are valid.
Since, I have used this setup at various parties for long hours, and never a problem. Never skipped or crashed.

Hope this helps you!

-arie

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 7:31 am
keyonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
dj von Smoothousen, that is great to hear, thanks much for the update!

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 4:57 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
I have an HP Athlon AMD 1.0 Ghz laptop, 512MB RAM, and 30Gb hard drive. At the moment, I'm also using an external 120GB hard drive.

I've been keeping an eye on laptops lately, and some companies let you customize laptops when you order them. I'm starting to see 100GB hard drive options.

You can also purchase laptop hard drives alone, but you have to be sure to know the max hard drive size the laptop supports (mine only supports up to 40 Gig, so there would be no point in me purchasing a 100 Gig drive).

As far as re-ripping music, as long as you have the CD's, I would start ripping your stuff to Ogg Vorbis. I've started doing that to all my CD's because it sounds better at lower bitrates (so it saves space). In my own sound testing using the DJ Console and MDR-V700 headphones, I could not tell the difference (blind testing) between a Wave file ripped directly from the CD and a 64kbps bitrate Ogg file. Just in case, because I am a stickler for quality, I am ripping stuff variably between 112kbps and 128kbps with the Nero Burning ROM plugin.

As far as portable media players, I've seen around 5 so far that will support Ogg Vorbis playback with just a firmware update. I use a Pocket PC as my media player, and Ogg is nice because the flash card media still costs a lot relative to hard drive memory, and I can fit more Ogg files on the card (that sound better) than MP3 or WMA files.

By the way, have any of you had a chance to listen to these little "TravelSound" speakers made by Creative? I never imagined such small speakers could put out such good sound. Makes me rethink the idea that I need large speakers for my home entertainment center.

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 5:21 pm
what about the new Hi-aac format? That Nero, Itunes and others are starting to support...

I've read that a 64kbps hi-aac file sounds the same quality as mp3 coded at 192kbps...

if thats so, I could have about 2-3 times more tunes on my harddrive ;)

发表时间 Wed 25 Aug 04 @ 5:41 pm
I use a Toshiba Laptop with 30Gb on board and a 2.6Khz P4 with 256Mb RAM. I need to up the RAM as i have a problem with a track sticking. This is usually when I play two large files (10 min +) back to back. It doesn't happen every time and when it does its usually early in the evening. When it happens it rights itself after about 15 seconds but that seems a lifetime. Time to talk over it and give the impression that I'm taking over a loop.

Tony

发表时间 Fri 27 Aug 04 @ 11:40 am
Laptops with Centrino processors seem to do allright.

I just received my new laptop some week ago. Acer Travelmate 8003.

1.6 Ghz Centrino
512 Mb
60 gb
120 gb external (firewire/usb2.0 combi case)
4 usb2.0 ports
firewire
onboard Bluetooth
onboard Wifi 54mbit
onboard Gigabit lan
DVD-rw writer
15"tft 200nits

AtiRadeon 9700 (64mb dedicated (not shared) Vram)

i use an external soundcard Maya EX 5.1 usb and a Hercules DJConsole.
VDJ performs like lightning. even when using all kinds of plugins (VST-reverbs/delays etc.)

4hour-sets are no problem at all. As far as i can see (regarding previous posts), any Centrino/p4 laptop will do a great job using VDJ.

发表时间 Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 10:09 am
previous post was mine. IE logged me off again >:-(

发表时间 Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 10:11 am
SPARKYPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Both me and a friend bought laptops in the last 6 months. They are both the same (Toshiba Satellite - the widescreen ones). His has a Centrino 1600 with 512 ram and mine has a P4 2.6 with 256 RAM.

It's a good comparison as the laptop's are virtually identical and yes they both perform well. Mine seems to have the edge in performing larger tracks though....on his the music may be okay but the screen can lock up for half a second or so every now and again. It does not detract from the music but he gets worried about it. There really is no difference in performance though.....probably because I maintain mine right and he does'nt though!

Just make sure your registry is clean (I recommend Regscrub XP) and clean your PC from spyware regularly as these processes can mount up and waste your CPU even if you are not connected to the internet.

I think RAM is the most important thing with VDJ - both normal RAM and cache memory for the CPU. Cache memory allows your CPU to perform real time tasks so much faster so a P4 is much better than a Celeron (although newer Celerons are okay now) and an Athlon is better than a Duron for system performance.

发表时间 Tue 07 Sep 04 @ 9:33 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)