快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Lightshow know-how

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I need to learn better how to create lightshows. I have lots of different fixtures, recently got a number of moving head in different sizes also.
I want to go from 'randomly discoflashing lights' to more seriously programmed shows.
I have a DMX system with both freestyler with interfaces, splitters and so on. My plan is to program moving heads in freestyler since they require more complex programming, than my wash lights, UV's, strobes and fogmachines will still be programmed from my hardware dmx controller, a showtec table.
But the topic here is, anyone have any advice regarding books, web pages, etc to learn to build up a decent lightshow?

发表时间 Mon 21 Oct 19 @ 11:16 am
You should look for "layered" programming (parallel execution of different sequences) in order to build a proper lightshow. And once you get the hand of it, you should move everything to ONE controller (software) as it will be far more easier to control all of them together and produce a decent result than having to switch programs and attributes in 2-3-4 controllers at once.

Layered programming:
In a nutshell it's a concept like this:

1) Create 4-5 different "programs" (sequences) for moving head movements
2) Create 4-5 different chasers for moving heads colors
3) Create 4-5 different programs for moving heads gobos and effects (like prism e.t.c.)

Now, run these programs together, one of each category at the time.

This type of programming gives you 5x5x5=125 possible combinations!
Also adding new programs is much easier. So, if you want to create a new "unique" program for your moving heads movements you don't need to record it 25 times (with different colors and gobos e.t.c.)
You record it once and you can combine it with your other color/gobos programs
(so effectively you record ONE new sequence and now you have 150 possible combinations)
On the same manner if you want to remove/add/edit a color from your color chasers you don't have to edit hundreds of programs, but one or two...

Other than that, a good practice is to record sequences based on fixture types and attributes.
So, you record moving heads movements, scanner movements, spider movements e.t.c.
Then you record moving heads colors, parcan colors, e.t.c.
Then you record moving head beam effects (gobos, prism, e.t.c.)
Then you record spiders chasers

And all these running together give a unique light show!

The only drawback is that in order to get the full potential you need someone to control the lights rather than leaving them alone running one or two programs the entire night.
Of course for some programs (like Freestyler) it's easy to implement some kind of automation from within VirtualDJ (and have the program react to your music, scripts, buttons e.t.c.)

发表时间 Mon 21 Oct 19 @ 11:43 am
As usual, Phantom, you give valuable advice. Thanks!
I am starting to get the grip of 'layered programming' inside freestyler, and this way is exactly how and why I'm going to use freestyler to control the moving heads.
For now, the more 'timing critical' stuff like blinders, strobes, other easy fixtures like wash and UV's will be controlled by ordinary light console for the time being.
It's because I am almost running out of DMX channels in my universe so an easy way is to split.

发表时间 Mon 21 Oct 19 @ 1:23 pm
Some interfaces (like Enttec DMX USB PRO MKII) can output 2 universes. Freestyler also supports 2 universes.
And making VirtualDJ "read" a button on your controller and tell Freestyler to activate your blinders is also possible (and you can even use action POI's to have certain songs always activate them, e.t.c.)
So, don't "limit" yourself... :P

发表时间 Mon 21 Oct 19 @ 2:15 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)