快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Mobile djs - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Ok a question for you mobile guys......

What’s better, Scanners or Moving heads??

Let me know your thoughts on each and what you use.

Thanks for your time and info, it’s greatly appreciated.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:00 am
Scanners are pretty much outdated these days. They rarely get used on any lighting case.
Their only advantage over moving heads is the moving speed. This (among with the narrowed down beam coverage -field of beam coverage-) makes them ideal for unattended use.
Otherwise moving heads are all over the place now. And you can get some very cool lightweight ultra-bright LED moving heads for very cheap thanks to China manufacturers! :P
So for mobile I would go with moving heads if I'm about to use a lighting controller (any kind of). If you're about to go with the "turn them on and leave them alone" case then try to find some good scanners

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:14 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
Scanners are pretty much outdated these days. They rarely get used on any lighting case.
Their only advantage over moving heads is the moving speed. This (among with the narrowed down beam coverage -field of beam coverage-) makes them ideal for unattended use.
Otherwise moving heads are all over the place now. And you can get some very cool lightweight ultra-bright LED moving heads for very cheap thanks to China manufacturers! :P
So for mobile I would go with moving heads if I'm about to use a lighting controller (any kind of). If you're about to go with the "turn them on and leave them alone" case then try to find some good scanners

Do you have a link to some of these chinese moving heads?

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:28 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Personally, I prefer moving heads as well. The scanners I've used tend to have limited uses for me. They have been better in a permanent install on the perimeter of the room or dance floor. The moving head can be placed "anywhere" in the room with its 360 range or controlled limits. More versatility from one light.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 12:58 pm
Thanks guys and yeah I figured it was moving heads. I do have a few but they’re getting old so they’re gonna need replacing by years end I’m sure.

I found these on YouTube and I really do like the effect they produce. A moving head with 2 sides, one side is a beam and the other is more of a wash.

The other reason I asked was because I found these at a pretty decent price.

Again I think it does put off a cool effect but I could see these getting damaged pretty easily.

Maybe one of you has seen a moving head that can produce a similar effect?? If so please post a link up.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 2:36 pm
If you're comparing moving heads to barrel scanners, then probably you need to look at heads with prisms (that split the output).

However, prisms won't give you as many separate beams as a barrel. They'll usually only be 3 or 4 way.

If you're looking for max coverage then the Martin Wizard is the one to beat, because it's a gobo flower projected onto a barrel. Loadsa beams!

Personally I think moving heads are overkill for mobile DJ work (although I do own some).

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 5:38 pm
I’m not comparing the 2 I just stated I liked the effect it gives off.

Groovin since you think moving heads are overkill what do you recommend?

Feel free to post links if you can.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 6:33 pm
What I mean is, for the effect they produce (one gobo moving around) they're not worth the extra over a scanner.

For mobile DJ use, usually the lights need to be on the dance floor, which is typically in front of the DJ setup - so there's no need for a light that can move any further than that.

I prefer to use gobo flowers over either scanners or moving heads, as you get more gobos per light.

IMO moving heads tend to be bought by DJs as bling. "Oh it's what they use on the telly" rather than any thought going into coverage or practicality.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 7:02 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I have had two Inno Pocket Rolls for a couple of years now, and they are good and easy to setup.
Have them in a small case/box with foam when travelling, no problem.
They working pretty good with the power of the light and the effect of smaller/ medium rooms for about 100 ppl.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 7:30 pm
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
I’m not comparing the 2 I just stated I liked the effect it gives off.

As you said... Rollers give a nice unique effect and that's what they are used for. They are used as effects on a light show, not as main lighting program fixtures.
For main fixtures all lighting shows use various types of moving heads. There used to be 3 types of moving heads, (wash, spot & beam) but the last 1-2 years lighting manufacturers put on a moving head's body any type of effect you may imagine.
If you are willing to spend some extra cash there are moving heads that can work as any of the 3 popular types simultaneously (they are wash/spot/beam hybrids, usually with a very large optical zoom).
There are also moving heads that work as beams/multi beams/moonflower hybrids.
Honestly, if you pay a visit on a website selling moving heads you can get lost with the variety they come these days... And most likely you'll want more than one "type" of them... :P

PS: Another interesting effect (effect, not main lighting show fixture) are "spiders"

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 7:39 pm
Thanks Phantom, that’s why I ask.

So since you brought up “Main lighting show fixtures”

What are y’all using for those??

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:24 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have a mini kinta that gets a lot of beams everywhere. So, I use the moving heads as my attention getting lights as well as highlighting wedding cake cutting, spotlight dances, doorway entry, etc. Add to that a few wash lights and some up lighting and I'm done. All of this goes on a truss with my tops.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:47 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :
For main fixtures all lighting shows use various types of moving heads

All lighting shows? I don't use moving heads in mine, and I'm sure there are a lot of mobile DJs out there who also don't use moving heads - so where does this "all" statement come from?

Also, barrels (rollers) are "only effects"? No - I know for a fact that some DJs regularly use only barrel based lights at their gigs.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 9:52 pm
Then let me rephrase:

• For main fixtures almost all lighting shows use various types of moving heads (99 out of 100 professional light shows, where a light designer / engineer actually designs a show and does not leave the lights do their own thing)

• Barrels (rollers) are used mainly as effects on a light show, not as main lighting program fixtures (where a light designer actually designs a show and does not leave the lights run unattended)

Happy now ? :)

PS: English is not my mother tongue. But I believe you got my point at the very first time... But if correcting my English makes you happy, I'm ok! :)

PS2:
Since English is not my native language perhaps the term that confuses me here is "show" ?
Leaving a bunch of lights running on "auto" does not classify as a show for me (the way I understand this word/term)
A "show" is something that someone (which of course can be more than one people) puts together and usually it implies design, logistics and execution/performance.
Am I wrong ?

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 10:46 pm
Ok if it makes a difference for y’all I’m using Sound Switch, was using Show Xpress but can’t see the point in a $500 paper weight so I’m using it.

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 10:55 pm

Don't mind the music... :P This is a test from a wedding intro. It was put together with 20 action POI's
Of course for the rest of the night I didn't need more that another 10... :P

发表时间 Tue 19 Feb 19 @ 10:58 pm
I can understand what you did there but as far as the actual movement, it got boring after a minute or 2.

Meaning the direction never changed, the colors and gobo did but it was the same movement.

Are you not able to change the movement??

发表时间 Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 1:00 am
Of course he can change the movement. It's up to how it's programmed in this case, Freestyler.
Personally I like such, quite clean and organized light setups. It shouldn't be lights "all over the place". Better with less and well taken care of instead of much and insane :)

发表时间 Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 9:39 am
As I said this was a test filmed during programming.
Yes there was bigger variety of movements!
This was not the final show. And there was 4 more moving heads.
The showcase here shows how action POIs can alter speed, gobo, color, strobe effect e.t.c. and that you can use all that to automate a show.
I will try to get the final video from the couple to get a picture of the final show, but you get what I mean.

发表时间 Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 11:16 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
...professional light shows, where a light designer / engineer actually designs a show...

....where a light designer actually designs a show...

But we're not talking about professional shows with engineers. The thread title is "mobile DJs".

Just because they're used at concerts/ on TV etc, does not mean they're the best choice for mobile DJ work.

发表时间 Wed 20 Feb 19 @ 5:30 pm
45%