快速登录:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

话题: 5 letters: VDJ-OS

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

RaguTomPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Among troubles of automatic Windows 10 updates, svchost.exe and trustedinstaller high cpu usage in windows 7 and windows 8 just being horrible....it is time to strike back. I introduce to you the concept of Virtual DJ Operating System. This stripped down operating system only launches virtual dj on boot up, no other programs launch in the background, no constant security updates, and a streamlined platform runs for the most powerful DJ software on the market.

Sure, it is a huge undertaking... it will need a driver archetecture and a powerful video acceleration system. This could be somehow be simplified by writing the system to utilize drivers made for Windows. In the long run, it would be great to see hardware developers making versions for VDJ-OS.

It is a pipe dream, but as I sit here and watch my system running at 100% because of a svchost.exe bug that is not being fixed, I have to think....there is a better way. And Atomix are the ones to do it. Make Virtual DJ like no other..... make it a complete system.

Thanks for reading, everyone,
Tom

发表时间 Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 3:13 am
Great idea, but it seems the big players want to go back to hardware only missing out DJ software altogether.

发表时间 Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 8:11 am
RaguTomPRO InfinityMember since 2011
kradcliffe wrote :
Great idea, but it seems the big players want to go back to hardware only missing out DJ software altogether.

And that's where the future shines. Integration. Imagine if you had none of the overhead that using windows or OSX forces you to have. Just booting Windows 7 chews 2 GB of ram! Imagine if the only RAM and processing power being used was devoted to Virtual DJ, the sound engine, the graphics engine, and the controller structure.

Mixers could have common integrated processors in them, running VDJ-OS. You pull out your mixer and flip up its 15 or 17 inch touch lcd and away you go. It just works how it should, no worrying about integrated or dedicated graphics or cpu types or even "Mac or PC bro?"

The hardware is designed around the software, much like an arcade machine...did you know Mortal Kombat 3 runs on a 6.25 MHZ processor.... how about Cruisin USA, it runs on a 50 MHZ processor. Purpose built. Imagine what a purpose built 2GHz processor could do! Could you run it on a Raspberry Pi??? Maybe!

At that point it is an integrated system. The software is the hardware.

But I would give anything to have a dual-booting laptop that I can muck up my Windows partition all I want with games and software and even viruses, knowing that all I have to do is reboot and select VDJ-OS as my boot option and I don't have to worry about a thing!

Tom

发表时间 Sat 11 Jun 16 @ 8:08 pm
Personal comment ON:
Been there, done that, went away, never look back:

Almost 15 years ago:

I had built a custom made PC inside a flight case. The PC was dualboot with 2 different drives (not 2 partitions on the same drive)
First OS was Windows 2000 as a general purpose OS

Second OS was a streamlined version of Windows 2000 (you can still streamline any version of Windows)
For that era that CPU power and RAM were very expensive it had a meaning. The "streamlined" version loaded only the necessary drivers e.t.c. in order to work with the specified hardware. All unecessary tasks were killed, Windows Services had been minimized to just the necessary minimu to operate, e.t.c.

Today, 15 years later all that fuzz and task is simple unecessary.
Any decent laptop is more than enough to operate demanding Dj software. Just don't get the lower price laptop you can find. Get something in the middle price range or (if you can afford it) on the middle to upper price range.
If this is your only PC/laptop make it dualboot and keep the Dj-ing partition clean.
There's no need to do anything else...

I own 4 PC's right now. 3 Desktops and a laptop.
2 Desktops are i5 processor with 16GB RAM and the 3rd is i7 with 32GB RAM. I won't comment the i7 machine. But when I use one of i5's on the club every weeked the CPU is always under 10% and only 2 or 3 times per night it may reach 50% when Windows want to do their stuff.
Still I'm using Pioneer DDJ-SZ on 2ms latency and I have no issues at all. Of course it's a desktop built for a single purpose: To use it on the club to dj with it.
Software-wise it has Windows 10 PRO OS, and I only installed the necessary drivers for my devices, VirtualDj, Freestyler, Winamp and Dropbox. Nothing else.
It works flwalessly.
The laptop is an ASUS ROG, 4th generation i7 with 12GB RAM. I use it mainly for Dj-ing when I don't dj at athe club, but I also use it for some other work related tasks so it has a few extra apps installed like MS Office.
Still on the ROG the CPU sits around 5% and I never get a spike higher than 20% when Dj-ing.
On the club I don't do video, but I do video with the laptop on various occassions. Still CPU never exceeds 20% of usage.

Conclusion: Todays modern PC's are capable enough to handle demanding audio applications with a relative small cost.
Talking for laptops, it's the $500 price range laptops that can fail on occasion. I have never seen a $1000 (or more expensive) laptop fail as long as it's user has some basic knowledge on what NOT to do in order to have a trouble free working PC.
Personal comment OFF

As for your wish:
Makning an OS is not a simple thing for several reasons. And still it doesn't solve the issue on how this OS is going to work with all the gear on the market.
If a "new" OS decides to work with Windows drivers, then it pretty much needs to implement half of the Windows core, which:
1) Would generate legal issues with Microsoft
2) It would introduce all the stuff you "hate" on Windows and you ask a "new" OS for.

Anyway, this is a WISHES forum and therefore you can wish anything you want! :)

发表时间 Sun 12 Jun 16 @ 6:27 pm
Yes, it would be a good ideal but it's probably all to do with funding. Creating an OS is a whole new barrel of fish. At the minute, the programs are built on two OS's IOS and DOS.
Now if you was to create a boot able program, you would have to put every available driver that runa everything from sound to USB support. Monitor's for fan speed to temperature and then test it on every available pc and laptop. Now Microsoft and apple can do this because they are multi billion dollar companies. Atomix, not too sure for that so they would have to charge us for the development of the program. It wouldn't be a free upgrade like 8.

发表时间 Sun 17 Jul 16 @ 5:13 pm
This is a rough idea after all, but I would love this to exist

发表时间 Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 4:47 pm
Hi, l'm not much into computing but l would have thought this would be possible just by tweaking Windows. In fact, one user did "streamline" his Win 2000 OS (see above).

Making an entirely new OS for VDJ would be way too difficult because for one thing, Windows is trussed up in patents and copyrights, and therefore the APIs for VDJ would have to be re-written for whatever new OS is made?

Then you have the matter of bugs, exploits, creating a new ecosystem of tools, etc. Like l said, l'm not much into computing, so there'd be even more issues than l've mentioned here!

发表时间 Fri 04 Nov 16 @ 5:44 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)