快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJ8 Limiter ruins the sound quality! would like a option to turn it off.. - Page: 5

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
#confusing

发表时间 Sat 09 Jan 16 @ 2:07 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
It is a bit of information to get your head around. What you need to understand is the decibels are not a set number or scale. It is based on a logarithmic relationship to something. That something changes with different hardware. Here are some examples of voltages that can be measured when using a test tone playing on different outputs.

0 dBu Preferred informal abbreviation for the official dB (0.775 V); a voltage reference point equal to 0.775 Vrms.

+4 dBu Standard pro audio voltage reference level equal to 1.23 Vrms.

0 dBV Preferred informal abbreviation for the official dB (1.0 V); a voltage reference point equal to 1.0 Vrms.

-10 dBV Standard voltage reference level for consumer and some pro audio use (e.g. TASCAM), equal to 0.316 Vrms. (Tip: RCA connectors are a good indicator of units operating at -10 dBV levels.)

发表时间 Sat 09 Jan 16 @ 7:03 pm
So, on my Mixtrack Pro, 0db at the output measures 0.316Vrms. My 1/4" output on a mixer, 0.775. My XLR output, 1.23.

There are a lot of good articles from sources like Sound on Sound, Rane, Yamahe, etc. that are freely available on the web if you want to get deeper into the understanding of it.

发表时间 Sat 09 Jan 16 @ 7:07 pm
This was quite interesting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VU_meter
When using a VU meter the audio system is calibrated with a sine wave tone at a "reference level" for the system. At the reference level the VU meter will show "0" for a sine wave tone, but the engineer must know that with music or speech the Peak levels will always be "inferred" to be between 6dB to 10dB higher than the reference level. The genius of the VU meter is that for most types of audio sources the system engineer can count on these peaks being within this range and can design the audio system with confidence. Good engineering practice is to always build in a little extra "headroom" as it is called, to cover the strange conditions where an audio signal might exceed normal peak levels or the equipment operator fails to adjust the levels correctly. Typically the levels to be considered when designing systems using a VU meter are:

Reference Level (typically +4dBu, valid with tones only)
Standard Output Level (10dB above Reference, typical peak levels)
Clip Level (6dB above Standard Output Level, "headroom" to allow for unusual conditions)

So i have generated a tone that on VDJ has the vu at a constant 71% with a sine wave tone generated with rms of -1db
On my Denon i get a constant +10db with all settings at unity i.e 12 o'clock and i get a peak in the red when channel gain moved to 2 o'clock so i guess +10db is my reference using the mc6000 as the mixer
I use my gain at 11 o'clock so i guess my headroom is from 11 -2

My master gain is at 1 o'clock with a +10db and peaks at around 3 o'clock

I'm basically getting the volume i want with VDJ set to -3db and mixer settings above with some headroom should i need it.

发表时间 Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 11:12 am
IMO running the Denon so that "normal" is +10dB is overcooking it.

I see there's no marking on the "peak" LED but going by the arrangement of the minus value LEDs it's probably +15dB, so running at +10 is only allowing 5dB (one LED's worth) of headroom. I'd suggest aiming for +6dB instead, allowing 9dB for peaks. This should enable you to run two tracks at once (vol up on both) without hitting the peak.

发表时间 Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 11:41 am
Not sure, for me to get that even with VDJ at -3db i would either have to lower my gains or my lows.
Using it this way with my speakers at unity i get no clipping, no distortion and with a test tone that is what i get for the 0db
+10db is the peak, it flashes at +6db/10db

This is using EXT mix i.e the controller as the mixer not software mixing

发表时间 Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 12:00 pm
Actually that was with chan gain at 12 but i use it at 11 so i am running at +6db

Anyway i think i'm set good running at +6db on the controller with plenty of headroom from the controller and my speakers ( head starting to hurt)

发表时间 Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 12:48 pm
As mentioned above, the best way to be sure is to send a test tone. Most equipment specifications are shown rated with a 1khz tone. Send that to your controller with no outputs connected. Then, measure both the RCA and XLR outputs. See what your display shows at an actual 0db

发表时间 Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 6:15 pm
kradcliffe wrote :
The ZeroDB settings only work if you use the autogain within VDJ.

For those of us who don't (I use MP3Gain at 94Db) it's still an issue.

This is a big mistake everyone makes, The best setting is default 89db, But If you do wish to increase, go into Options and check "Dont clip when doing track gain".
Also setting at 89db give all 5 VDJ zero decibel setting a none clipping state, so basically you just set it at level you prefer and is most efficient for your setup. I also use breakaway DJ as a master signal UltraMaximizer, I rarely touch my channel gains.

发表时间 Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 2:33 pm
how do i split tracks in virtual dj 8

发表时间 Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 8:47 pm
semaha wrote :
how do i split tracks in virtual dj 8

This has nothing to do with this topic. Please create another thread next time. Also, specify if you mean a track list and splitting during recording.

recordAutoSplit under settings>options>record. You may have to check Show Advanced Settings to see it.
recordWriteCueFile creates the cue list

发表时间 Sat 16 Jan 16 @ 10:19 pm
onepennyControlleristMember since 2014
Hello all. When I upload a song in vdj8 the gain changes from what my controller is set on putting the limiter in the red. How do I correct this? Thanks

发表时间 Thu 18 Feb 16 @ 3:47 am
Change the following settings to the exact values I give you here.
autoGain: auto
gainSliderIncludesAutoGain: yes
zeroDB: 0.750000

And remember: "Zero" gain is at 12 o clock on your controller's gain knob

发表时间 Thu 18 Feb 16 @ 6:39 am
onepennyControlleristMember since 2014
Thanks

发表时间 Thu 18 Feb 16 @ 10:45 am
pungentPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I had a lot of issues with the limiter a while back until guys on here helped me get my head around it.

I'm only saying this cause I couldn't see in other post's it being mentioned and it's what I didn't understand initially.

The 0db setting changes the individual deck db-limiter not the master out db-limiter.
My issue was my decks were too hot and limiting and I was watching my master thinking everything was ok not realizing my individual decks were limiting.

I run at -6db and now have no sound issues at all and play on a number of different systems.

I also played around with the 0db setting while playing on different systems and it does not reduce the master sound output enough to even notice at all cause it's only the individual deck that it's changing.

Two songs I had big issues with were Party Rock Anthem LMFAO and Animals Martin Garixx.

Reading through the comments everyone seems to be worrying about master outputs etc and that was where I went wrong as well.

发表时间 Thu 17 Mar 16 @ 11:00 pm
+1 To what @pungent explained above.

I was having similar issues, especially with R&B Karaoke tracks. Setting zeroDB to -6 fixed everything.

Thanks!!

发表时间 Sun 20 Mar 16 @ 7:29 pm
Your meters are just telling you where the signal amplitude is at, within a certain amount of lag -- the top of the lit portion is a peak in dBVU. I assume the top LED light that could potentially light up in VDJ is also 0dBFS.

So how long has VDJ's autogain system been using RMS? In v.7 you guys seemed to be just normalizing, which would explain the 0dB peak, the 32bit floating processing, and the headroom setting. So you went to an RMS "loudness" autogain and built a slightly-soft look-ahead limiter to prevent expressly-hard 0dBFS clips?

发表时间 Sun 03 Jul 16 @ 12:01 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
1) Per deck limiter. Each deck has it's own limiter so that it won't overload/distort due to high gain, wrong eq adjustment, or deck effects adding to much "extra" sound on the original (try to use 'Echo' with feedback close to 50% or even higher to understand what I mean)
2) Master limiter. The sum of all decks goes to a master limiter that prevents the "master" output (when your sound setup has one) from overloading due to many decks producing high levels, or due to master effects adding too much sound. Remember, that when one deck is playing very "close" to peak level, adding a second deck on the mix without lowering the first one will make the sum of master mix go above the peak, and that's just for 2 decks. Add a third deck on the mix, and ideally the 3 decks should play at 33% level in order to avoid going over peak.

If that is correct, I am not sure how you can get a proper mix when the limiter kicks in per deck / master. In other words done in isolation. I can take 2 sounds, one is a low frequency sound and used to test things out. The other sound is a normal audio file. If I play the 2 sounds together and let windows mix them, then it sounds normal. What is normal? No unusual lowering of one of the sounds in this case... you might have a different definition. If I mix them myself then the mix sounds same as with windows mixer. If I play the 2 sounds in VDJ, the normal audio file's volume is greatly decreased. Limiter kicking in etc. I think the mix is being limited incorrectly due to the low frequency file and you don't really have a mix. . Seems the limiter kicks in for the one file and the whole mix suffers. I don't see how this can possibly work. I am not an expert at it either, but some simple observations I have made.

发表时间 Thu 15 Mar 18 @ 7:29 pm
That information was valid at that time.
Since then VirtualDJ has changed it's approach.
Now there's only a "master" limiter when using Master+Headphones audio setup, and "per deck" limiters when using External Mixer audio setups

发表时间 Thu 15 Mar 18 @ 7:33 pm
Ok but still it does not seem correct to me. I think the method of mixing could be wrong. I mean should the mix be implemented in a way that causes unusual things to happen? I don't really know what the answer should be but currently, for me anyway, it is failing in the area of common sense. The low frequency file is going to cause the limiter to kick in and that causes the normal file to be much lower in volume. Like limiting is still done in isolation and not necessarily for the mix or it's being skewed artificially (incorrectly?) by one or the other audio files. auto gain (default) seems to be the thing that causes the strangeness but wonder why that should be. 0DB does fix it but I think the other notes still apply. But then I am no expert with this kind of thing..

发表时间 Thu 15 Mar 18 @ 7:39 pm
99%