快速登录:  

Forum: Video Discussion

话题: VJ newbie - laptop sound output issues

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I used to VJ using VHS decks and an external Numark video mixer. So I was extremely excited to discover Virtual DJ's Video mixing capabilities. I have been fiddling with the FREE version in my basement for months. I use very basic inexpensive Windows 7 laptops. My main laptop is a HP Pavilion dv4. I don't speak computer geek as I am basically a plug n play guy. I am very encouraged with the output from VDJ8. Within the past 3 months, I wanted to take my basement antics to the next level and try to play at the local sports bar. I purchased the monthly PRO-finity license and made a very crude logo so I can promote my VJ services. My problem has been getting decent sound out of my laptop. I don't use a controller as I had been very happy with my results just using AUTOMIX. I get a good response from my pals in my basement just outputting the audio using a basic stereo headphone jack plug to RCA cable. Through my home stereo, my setup sounded great.

But once I took my act to the local sports bar and plugged that same cable through the house Mackie board, my audio sounded terrible. There was no Bass at all. I played a few nights that way, watching my levels and added a lot of muddy bass throught their EQ. The results was passable. Once I am finished and the bartender plugs his phone to play his Pandora the full range of their PA returns and the place sounds decent once again.

Next I tried an inexpensive Dell Latitude E6410, it seem to work a lot better. The sound coming out of that same headphone jack cable produced a fuller sound but the laptop's motherboard died on me just after July 4th. So I had to go back to playing out with the HP and the bar hated the result.
Last week I purchased a mint condition TOSHIBA laptop E55-A5114 and out the box the speaker output sounded tinny but plugging in my headphones it sounded pretty decent. I plugged in my powered speakers and the bass was fairly bumping.

I take my new setup to the sports bar and it sounded terrible once again. No bass coming off VDJ8. This was a newer Windows 8.1 OS and 4th Gen i5 processor made VDJ8 load & transition a lot faster. BUT it sounded horrible, even for a lounge atmosphere.

My ultimate question is how to get GREAT sound out of a great product like VDJ8. My videos are mainly downloaded off You-Tube but if it sounded decent coming off a DELL why is it so terrible from my HP & now Toshiba laptops. Should stick to what I know to work fine and purchase an older slower Dell E6410 laptop or can I buy an add-on external soundcard? Will that bring my Bass back? What product would veteran Video DJs recommend?

发表时间 Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 3:02 pm
Apparently I posted this when I wasn't correctly logged in before. My laptop sound problem remains the same as described. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

发表时间 Sat 01 Aug 15 @ 3:13 pm
I'd start with trying an external sound card. Hercules makes a nice device, http://www.hercules.com/us/DJ-Music/bdd/p/102/deejay-trim-4-6/
There are others that do a very good job, shop it around.
I don't know if you are looking to use a control interface in the future, but many controllers have a sound card built in.
VDJ8 Supported controllers: http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VirtualDJ8%20Controllers.html

Good luck, and keep popping into the forums. There are a lot of talented and knowledgeable folks here to help.

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 8:56 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
You'll need to up your game to be honest, using music videos downloaded off youtube is the wrong way to go if you want to be look at as a professional dj that a venue can rely on.

Although the video quality may be ok the accompanied sound file are deliberately of poor quality and shouldn't be used in a public venue, this will only make you look and sound bad.

As soon as you can start paying for your music, you will instantly hear the difference in quality. I'm not trying to put you down just offering I hope good advice to you.

As above I'd check your output settings and the input settings on the mixer at the venue, it may be the sound card your using if on an external set up is not up to scratch.

On your other problem concerning VJ drops and logos for promotion let me know what you need/want and I'll have a crack at making you something for free, you can also go to a website I set up some years back where VDJ users can download original VJ drops I make for free....

http://visualshed.forumotion.co.uk/

Hope that helps.

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 9:15 am
I appreciate everyone's response. Where are some good sources for buying music videos besides the obvious subscription within Virtual DJ?

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 9:52 am
Any other recommendations for professional sounding external soundcards with good bass response?

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 9:58 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
There's quite a few threads in these forums for those type of links, it all depends I suppose on the type of music you'll be playing, if it's just chart music your after Promo Only would be a good starting point for you, I use their UK outlet for mine, good mix of current music scene with a few back catalogue tunes thrown in for good measure, mind sometimes you get a lot of crap in it some months but for 40 pounds a month you get usually about 100 tunes for your monthly subscription.

I got to point this out, with Promo Only you own the tunes you purchase and are cleared legally to play those tunes in public.

With CU or whatever it's called now and, I'm not being derogatory just laying it on the line, you basically rent those tunes and you never ever legally own them, it doesn't matter how many tunes you download, once you stop your monthly subscription they become unplayable.

This service is great if like your self are just starting off, it is a great resource to quickly build a catalogue up, but as quick as you can, try not to rely to much on this resource.

Head out to music stores etc and look in the bargain bins for music video compilation dvd's that will help you build your library up and quite inexpensively at the same time.

If money allows go buy a controller with a built in sound card, try not to buy off Craigslist etc as more than likely the serial number has already been used on forums like this, which means the second hand buyer loses all rights to the license facility offered by VDJ etc.

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 15 @ 10:31 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)