快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Problems after long sessions - VERIFIED! - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I have to say, when I keep reading these posts about users who are having problems after long sessions with VDJ, I thought those people were either crazy or had pc problems. That is, until I experienced it myself.

I've heard problems such as weird behaviour and bad sound quality after 5+ hours of VDJ use. I have to admit, I did not think the problem was VDJ. Well this morning I experienced it. VDJ just started responding really slowly to any input. I would start a track playing and then 1 or 2 seconds later it would start playing. I verified that there was no other apps running with task manager and that the system was not having any problems.

Restarting VDJ fixed the problem immediately. So, who wants to tell me I'm crazy or that my PC has a problem :-)

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 12:48 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
My mouse starts to fail after several hours of VDJ running, it stays at the top of the screen for example, and no matter how much I attempt to pull it down, it just keeps taking it's self back up.., sometimes it lasts for about 30 secounds, and isn't generally so crucial, because I uses a controller and mixer, but today, it actually lasted until I restarted my computer.., i'm not sure if this is the fault of VDJ or not, it may well not be.., but i've only noticed it when VDJ is running.., strange bug/system fault.

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 2:04 am
JeremKPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
This happened to me at a gig, and what a did i opened another instance of VDJ and just mixed from one to the other and then closed the first instance and continued till the end of the gig on the second instance. It is better for everybody to know this is possible and what to do when it happens. Anyway i didn't have any problem doing that and nobody in the crowd noticed so i was very happy.

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 2:21 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I had a problem with vdj adter a few hrs of use on a gig one time... vdj was playing fine at the time but locked up so i couldnt click or play next tune. i switched to my cd deck thankfully and just restarted vdj then all seemed to be fine. It was a 6hr gig too....

I cant say that I have replicated the problem... i'll post again if i have

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 6:32 am
I have test the VDJ very hard, first i play every night 7 days in a club for two weks ,and never have any problem, I also test VDJ after the gigs so I let it run in automode 15 hour´s every day when the club was closed and never have problem, so I think the problem isn´t the VDJ ,it most be a computer problem
Play it loud and keep going.

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 2:23 pm
might be a ram problem? (even a vdj using ram problem)

Or soundcard driver problem?

strange that the sound should alter after hours of use. I have not noticed it...
Will try more and see if I can hear it...

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 2:56 pm
I used to leave VDJ playing over night for perhaps as much as 10 hours at a time, with a full playlist, auto mixing, with several effects activated on each deck, and when I returned to it the next day, all seemed to be working as usual, perhaps it only occurs when you are repeating commands.., and making alot of changes, what is for sure is that the memory and CPU use goes up and down lke a yo yom for seemingly no reason.., normal, easy use, memory can really run short, or it can hardly touch what's avaliable.., this is of course with simular background operations etc..

发表时间 Sat 30 Jul 05 @ 6:01 pm
Last saturday was my first time to play with my VDJ with my Hercules DJ console for 9 hours straight, because of a house party I hosted. I noticed that after around 5 hours the tracks sounded like the volume became low to high in a back and forth motion, like I was increasing the master volume and decreasing it, but I was doing nothing. Is this a problem with VDJ? or was my laptop feeling the stress? are are my mp3 files faulty in the encoding? (It's 192 kbps) and they sound fine before. Please help... This was the first time I stressed-tested this. My system: Compaq Armada M700 Laptop: 700Mhz, 256 Ram, running WinXP and VDJ (Hercules Edition). Together with HDJC. If there's a way to fix it, thank you.

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 4:01 am
I must add my thoughts on this... I have on many occasions been mixing with VDJ for 5+ hours and everytime after about 5 hours it does start to get a little slugish...I think dj-in-norway is right cause when this happens I try and kill all effects, samples, and get everything back defualt position...I then have a little program called Memturbo which cleans up & defrags the RAM... After this all seems to be just like normal...Right now I have 768 MB DDR 333mhz of ram... I have only noticed this same issue when I been nonstop mixing for about 5+ hours... Im going to upgrade to a 1gb of ram here soon and im waiting to see if this might solve the issue... But to sum things up I'm pretty sure its not VDJ itself but the systems Ram ... I could be wrong (and most of the time i am) but if you upgrade your ram and defrag etc it should make a difference...

Oh also put all your saved music on a different drive... the Ideal way would to have it all on a seperate phyical harddrive... I couldnt beleive the difference after i moved all my media to a different harddrive...Good Luck and I'll let ya'll know if this happens after I upgrade my ram...

Musically

WizzKidd

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:36 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have noticed weirdness after playing for a few hours as well. Here is a post to a bug I reported last week: http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=14389

@MickBarogga: I thin your problem is just that you have the limiter enabled. Disable that and you should be fine. Why does it show up after a few hours you may ask... well you might not notice it, but after a few hours, you problably begin to raise the volume of each deck past the normal 70% gain level and thereby increase the likelihood of the limiter making 'corrections.' - I hope that helps.

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:12 pm
I have 1GB RAM and all my media is stored on a seperate hard drive. I also do not use any effects, samples or ever touch the built in software mixer for any reason.

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:27 pm
I was wondering, as some has suspected memory leak, if it matter what RAM's you are using.
Are there RAM's more preferred than other? Or is the issue beyond what type of RAM/RAM manufacturer you are using?

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 5:32 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
I am using 2G of OCZ Premium ram and it happens to me.

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 6:29 pm
It's surely a software bug.., quite a bad one.., it requires a restart or multi instance as someone said, this solves the problem immediately, it seems that VDJ stops being able to utilize memory efficentely, but I bet that'll be a hard one to fix.., hope and wait is all we can do.. ;).

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 6:38 pm
maybe a memory leak.
it's difficult to explain this as my english is not perfect but i'll try.
maybe vdj use some memory temporary and forgot to free it after use, the next time vdj wan't to use another amount of memory temporary the system still show the memory previously used as already in use so he tell vdj to use another array of memory etc...etc... so the memory will be filled slowly and this can be the reason of slowdowns, when you quit the session the system know that all the memory used by vdj is now free again so it can be used by the second instance of vdj.

this kind of error can be maybe related to the skin engine that use memory for graphics but not freeing it after use or the samples,mp3 or whatever stored in memory, that can be also effect buffers etc... it's also some kind of difficult errors to hunt :)
i had this kind of error on a personnal software project and i know of difficult it was to find where i forgot to free something ^^

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 7:38 pm
DJ RazPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've used VDJ on multiple 9 hour gigs without any problems.
I don't think VDJ leaks memory.

Your problem might come from low disk space though.
Windows is ridiculously bad at managing both phsycial and virutal memory (even if you tell it not to use virtual memory it will find a way to do so). It is also very bad at managing it's paging file.

Make sure you have a good 2-3 gigs of free disk space.
And defrag your hard drive.

Also, as much as a lot of you hate to hear this, to get the best out of VDJ you need to dedicate your laptop/pc to it.

Uninstall all software not called VDJ and turn off all services not critical to running windows properly.

Check out my setup guide for full config settings:
http://www.virtualdj.com/forum/display.html?topic=8194&highlight=setup%20guide

(hopefully someone will make this guide sticky one day! ;-)

And finally, I know everyone hates hearing this even more, but if your laptop is not IBM you will have problems with it sooner or later. ( I don't work for IBM... but I spoke to enough vendors that sell multiple brands, and vendors that sell specific brands to know that all other laptop companies build their laptops out of cheap, cheap parts.)

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 7:54 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
About laptops:

I have Gericom laptop for 3 years now. I didn't reinstall Windows yet. In this 3 years my VDJ works great without any problems. It is absolutely smooth. I have gigs 2 times a week since i bought it and it works! The only thing that was wrong with it was ground loop problem (solved now).

For me Gericom laptop works great. (see my blog for spec. of it)

Dj Nikki

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 8:03 pm
Hey everyone...This weekend I used vdj live for the first time and had no problems. I used it for about 5 hours with 2 denon 3000's and although I wasnt doing heavy scratching I was doing some and I had no problems. This gave me a little more faith in the program after hearing about all the crashes and worrying all night that it might crash. Im also not running an extremly fast computer or anything. It is a pentium 4 with 512 mb ram. ....DJ whizz Kid....You said it was better to have your music on a seperate hd.....I just got a 250 mb external hd for my laptop and was wondering if youve ever noticed any latency or had any problems loading songs off of a seperate drive? I ran out of space on my laptop and would love to put all of my music on my external drive if I could take it to gigs.

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 9:30 pm
Some have this problem, some do not, but the problem obviously exists, and it isn't related entirely on system specs, cleanliness etc, nobody quite knows why some of us have it, and others do not.., but some of us have great specs, great systems etc, and still experience these problems.., only time will tell.

It is fine to dedocate your PC to VDJ, I reccomend it (if you have that luxery), sadly my laptop is my only computer, so I do everything on it.., luckily for me my system is good, and VDJ runs strong, but after many many hours of VDJ being open, the memory is no longer utilized well.., the sound breaks up, no matter if you have 1 gig of memory free, clean drive etc.., these things don't fix bugs, and if this isn't a bug, then it is still an issue that many are experienceing (even with super duper monster machines)..

The problem isn't so major, but a fix would be nice..

发表时间 Mon 01 Aug 05 @ 10:27 pm
Thanks guys for the feedback on my problem. I really appreciate it. Anyway I'll take your advice and see how it works out, so far my laptop is actually dedicated for just only VDJ, Abelton Live, Acid Pro, Sound Forge and XP Pro SP2. Other than that, my mp3 files occupy the rest of the drive. I have another hard drive which I use for my office work so it's really separate. I'll look into your suggestions and see if there's improvement to this, and if it works, I'll share it to you all so that you can hopefully benefit from it. Anyway despite the little hangup I experienced on VDJ, well it's probably my laptops fault anyway hahaha... I'm still happy with it.

发表时间 Tue 02 Aug 05 @ 8:48 am
80%