快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: still skipping with 1 gb ram - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

rimmgHome userMember since 2005
Hi Folks

I've just been using the trial version of vdj but unfortunately its the old 'skipping' story again. i downloaded vdj hoping to get perfect performance, however, as mentioned i'm getting skips that occur maybe once, twice and even three times during a single 6-7 minute song.

i have tried ALL the fixes suggested (thanks DJ Coco for the info), but have exhausted all avenues.
i recently installed more RAM (i now have 1 GB of RAM), but this hasn't made any difference at all.
just to set the picture, here is a list of the tweaks that i have done:

1. switched off hyper-threading (i have a pentinum 4 processor at 2.5 GHz)

2. visual effects have been adjusted for 'best performance'

3. updated PC with lastest direct x version

4. under harddrive settings, enabled DMA

5. Turned Off System Restore

6. ensured there are no IRQ sharing conflicts

7. Reduced the Hardware Acceleration

8. turned off Windows XP services

9. Disabled firewalls or antivirus

10. defrag regularly

this list is the ones i can remember, i have done other tweaks.
i hope someone reads this post and gets back to me. i think VDJ is a great piece of software and is such a shame that it doesn't seem to be compatible with my PC, otherwise i would certainly buy the full version.

here's hoping for a solution

cheers!

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 5:54 pm
Got Pentium III 550~616MHz, 384MB RAM, Windows XP with all tweaks for VirtualDJ and no skipping at all.

C ya !

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 6:05 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
general settings ->max load always

report back

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 6:19 pm
Could you please try with a wav file ? And "max load" enable.

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 7:05 pm
have now tried loading wav. file and setting 'max load' to 'always'. still getting skips.

would it be wise to use only wav. files?

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 8:32 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
have you tried a clean install of windows?

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 8:36 pm
i'm not too sure what that would involve. can you give me a quick summary of what i need to do?

thanks in advance

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 8:47 pm
to add to the above, i think reinstalling would mean me having to back up everything on my pc before doing so? if thats the case i don't think i'll go to the trouble. thats an awful lot of work just to get VDJ working correctly on my pc when there should be an easier option.

i know that windows, over time, creates alot of problems for itself but i've only had this PC for 8 months so there can't be that many problems with my operating system.

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 9:13 pm
any other suggestions?...anybody?

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 9:53 pm
Your last response leads me to believe you have a number of other applications running on the same system. If this is a laptop set it's power scheme to always on!

Otherwise disable any virus or firewall software, disable internet access. I would be ineterested in your setup. What chipset does your computer use? Do you have the latest chipset drivers installed?

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 10:10 pm
everytime i use VDJ i shut all anti-virus/firewall software down. its not a laptop PC.

i apologise for my lack of computer literacy, what exactly is the chipset

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 10:17 pm
The chipset is the part that makes the computer work, it basically connects all separate parts.

Well known manufacturers for chipsets are Intel, VIA and SiS and Intel, but there are more. These chipsets, like other parts of the hardware require drivers which are (often) updated by the chipset manufacturer. Tools like 'CPU-Z' will identify the chipset for you.

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 10:49 pm
DachPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Turn off ASIO in the audio output section. Actually, I don't know if you have that option in the trial version, but mine skips every time a song ends, and sometimes in the middle, if I use the ASIO mode of my second sound card. If I just use "normal mode" drivers, it performs flawlessly.
Also, I think it's very bad form to tell people to reinstall Windows every time something doesn't work, or shut other things down. I do a radio program once a week, and I need my computer to be online to do that, and I certainly don't want to turn off my firewall. A well-made program shouldn't have to be running alone on a computer. I admit some of these problems can be hard to troubleshoot, and ultimately you might have to uninstall all your startup programs, one at a time, until you find out which one causes the conflict, but VDJ should run just fine, even with other tasks running in the background, individual conflicts notwithstanding.

发表时间 Sun 22 May 05 @ 11:47 pm
this guy got everything don't know why he can't get anything going what brand pc do have try playing a cd in VDJ do not rip if it plays with no sikpping than the feils you got are not good or it could be your drive,I fix computers also where do you live? you don't need to turn off anything try playing the same fiels in some orther dj software

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 12:07 am
"Also, I think it's very bad form to tell people to reinstall Windows every time something doesn't work, or shut other things down. I do a radio program once a week, and I need my computer to be online to do that, and I certainly don't want to turn off my firewall. A well-made program shouldn't have to be running alone on a computer. I admit some of these problems can be hard to troubleshoot, and ultimately you might have to uninstall all your startup programs, one at a time, until you find out which one causes the conflict, but VDJ should run just fine, even with other tasks running in the background, individual conflicts notwithstanding."

i fully agree with that Dach

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 12:09 am
i have ATI® IXP150 Chipset and ATI® Radeon 9100 IGP Chipset. does this make a difference to VDJ's performance?

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 12:25 am
adding to the above, there doesn't seem to be an option for turning off ASIO on the trial version. i'm not going to buy VDJ unless i know for sure this is in the full version and it will solve my problems

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 12:30 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I agree, re-installing windows is a bit drastic and should be seen as a last resort, BUT it's still a possible solution. I think that more often than not, when someone has a skipping problem, it is in fact related to something set up differently about their computer. There are thousands upon thousands of users out there. If one or 2 complain of a skip, the attitude of many will be simply, your computer is the problem, format your drives and start all over. Unfortunately, even if you do that, and all is well there is always the possibility that whatever was causing the skip will return when you eventually re-install whatever it was in the first place. It's best to "dig in" and identify what the problem is and fix it without such drastic steps. This can be either a frustrating experience, or it can be quick and painless. Troubleshooting can often be a tedious task with NO results for hours or even days at a time. Then when you find the cause, it turns out that it was something simple and as plain as the nose on my face.
The nice thing about finding the cause of such an issue is that once found it will often end up reported here in the forum and the next guy with the same problem won't have to go through all that you went through to find it.
The communication issue here is that for every person who has a problem (it may sound small to those of us who are enjoying flawless performance, but believe me, it's a major priority big problem to the poor guy who asked) there may be 2,000 people who will tell him, "it works great for me, something is wrong with your computer." LOL, this is not the answer the person is looking for. He's looking for the other guy who already had the same or a similar problem and got it sorted out.
We should try to make the "You have to format your drives and re-install windows" the last suggestion, not one of the first.

:-)

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 12:40 am
make sure you have the latest drivers for this chipset (should be avilable from the ATI site..)

also in the BIOS disable the built in audio (asuming you're not using it) and any other built in stuff you do not use..

Do the skips happen at regular intervals or random?

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 1:05 am
thanks for the info rick. i don't want to sound like i'm going on about this, and i certainly don't want to offend anybody, but your comment about 'one or two' people having issues with skipping is to me underestimated.

when i got VDJ and discovered that tracks skipped i followed the advice of DJ Coco in one of the forums. he gave an extensive list of fixes. the counter that shows how many people visited this page is somewhere around 5,000. thats a bit more than 1 or 2 people who have potentially had skipping problems. this if course doesn't include the people who just don't bother buying the full version of VDJ because they had problems with skipping and don't have the time to search through forums looking for a fix.

the main thing that bothers me is that having searched the forums extensively, i come across users who have various different programs running at once or others that have much less RAM/slower processors but still have no problems with skipping. the perfect example of this is a guy called djfelixus who posted a message on the previous page to this. he has Pentium III 550~616MHz with 384 RAM and his works perfectly. i've got Pentium 4 with 1 GB of RAM and it skips.

i understand that it is an issue with my computers compatibility with VDJ, and that it is up to me to try to sort this out. however, i'm at my wits end with this.

all i want to do is mix music in to the wee small hours with this great piece of software, but to do this, i need it to work perfectly.

any other ideas guys?

发表时间 Mon 23 May 05 @ 1:15 am
59%