快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: All ages Holiday Pary help

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I am doing an all ages Holiday Party on 18 December and need a little help. The event organizer wants a bout 2 hours of non-stop dancing that starts hard and ends hard. This also must be multi-genre based. Does anyone have some suggestions of what to play. I have good concept but I need some help from people with more than my one very sleepy brain cell! To me this is the hardest gig to play with all of the different ages and music styles. Thanks for the help! BTW - I am playing for a US and Japanese military community in Japan and all must be clean! That is another challenge.

发表时间 Sun 29 Nov 09 @ 1:47 am
Come on all, I know there are some recommendations out there!

发表时间 Mon 30 Nov 09 @ 7:50 am
are you talkin christmas only?

发表时间 Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 1:39 pm
Nah. I have the background Christmas stuff figured out for the dinner. I am looking for the dance portion with wide variety for all ages and genres. Thanks for the reply.

发表时间 Tue 01 Dec 09 @ 9:48 pm
ill tell you what i hve lil girls you cant go wrong with hannah/miley - i even like that party in the usa- the instrumental is bangin.. anyway peep like radio disney for your younger crowd, like the mitchell musso, miranda cosgrove just the kids that have shows on disney 99.99 of them sing and have singles or albums... as far as your middle school and up man they pretty much jam what the adult jam so imo i think the hardest would prob be the under age(under middle school) to me it would be hope that helps

发表时间 Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 7:31 am
I think I made a mistake on the post. It may not be an "ALL" ages party. It will be adults but 18-100 years old. I need dance, rock, country and anything else for this diverse crowd. I think I have a handle on it but want some suggestions from people who have play many of these type events.

发表时间 Wed 02 Dec 09 @ 8:14 pm
This post has been here almost a week with only one reply. These forums usually give better results very quickly.

发表时间 Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 3:41 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Sorry, I don't normally surf here, but You can't go wrong with some older Mowtown stuff and good dancing Jazz.

Mowtown (not all are, but these are good classics):
The Commodores - Lady or Brick House
Earth Wind and Fire - September or Let's Grove
The Gap Band - You Dropped a bomb on me (maybe, see location) maybe "The Train" would be better
Jackson 5 - I want you back or ABC
KC and The Sunshine Band - Thats the way (I like it)
Michael Jackson - P.Y.T. or Billie Jean
Rick James - Give it to me baby or Super freak
Sister Sledge - We are family

Type any of these into Pandora radio and see what comes up for more suggestions here.

Others (some familliar and others that they get you moving):
Lou Bega - Mombo #5
Candy Dulfur - "First in Line" or "Step Up" or Roppongi Panic" (she has some great stuff, the list goes on)
Mindi Abair - Flirt

I am no multi cutural wizard here, but it these don't get them moving, you are screwed! ;)

发表时间 Sat 05 Dec 09 @ 8:57 am
DHoude, Thanks for the suggestions. The people here love to listen to the music but almost impossible to get dancing. The only thing that gets them up is Electric Slide, Cha Cha Slide, and Cupid Shuffle. I guess I could loop them for 3 hours (LOL). I did a smaller party tonite with about 200 and they reacted well to Low and Down. Single Ladies didn't even get them up!!!! I will do what I can and let you know how it goes. The gig is on 18 December and I will post my set list. Any other suggestions out there?

发表时间 Sun 06 Dec 09 @ 8:06 am
Hmmmm, That sucks! I did a gig like that once for my Father in Law's wedding. Not sure how to get past it, but at the end (when I resorted to the electic slide and such) I maybe had 30% of the crowd dancing. But there is only so long you can keep that up. He said it was the best wedding he ever had (and he should know by now ;).

Maybe find a Karaoke MEGA hits album from over there. That is where I would go next.

Maybe add the "grease mega mix" to that list then.

发表时间 Sun 06 Dec 09 @ 9:47 am
Sugarhill Gang - APACHE

发表时间 Mon 07 Dec 09 @ 3:41 am
Here is what I am looking to start with to see what gets them up and going:

I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas
Single Ladies - Beyonce
Low - FloRida
Fire Burning - Sean Kingston
Down - Jay Sean
Electric Slide (Line Dance)
Poker Face - Lady Ga Ga
Hot N Cold - Katy Perry
Can't Touch This - MC Hammer
Brick House - Commadors
Mega Mix - Grease (will cut the last song - Summer Lovin)
Everybody Dance Now - CC and The Music Factory
Any Way You Want It - Journey
All Star - Smashmouth
Old Time Rock and Roll - Bob Segar
Let's Get it On - Marvin Gaye (Slow)
I Melt - Rascal Flatts (Slow)
Cupid Shuffle (Line Dance)
Suavemente (Elvis Crespo) Big Latino crowd here not sure how many will be at party.
Cancion Del Mariachi - Los Lobos

I think I will try in that order. It give a little to all ages and Genres. What are some of the popular dance numbers now in the clubs. All I have to go by are the charts on the internet and they aren't always "very" accurate. I haven't been in the states in 7 years, plus I don't get any radio except Japanese.

Please keep the suggestions coming. Thanks!

Gary

发表时间 Tue 08 Dec 09 @ 5:27 am
@ DHoude - just read your post again. Your right, You Dropped a Bomb on Me wouldn't be very PC here!

发表时间 Tue 08 Dec 09 @ 5:44 am
Yea, wasn't trying to be funny there, it is just a good song and my note was to be careful. You know your area (and history probably) better than me. I would think nothing of playing the song here in the states. But after seeing you were playing in Japan, I added the note and suggested another.

Yea, you can always go top 40, but I figure that was too obvious / easy and that you already considered that before posting. But it does not really cater to your older crowd. I am new at this, so I would go with your gut over mine. Just throwing out some ideas.

发表时间 Tue 08 Dec 09 @ 4:42 pm
Any other suggestions..... Keep them coming!

发表时间 Thu 10 Dec 09 @ 6:41 am
Come on guys..... Any More?

发表时间 Mon 14 Dec 09 @ 5:41 am
OK, Had the event last night and it was attended by around 700 people from ages 18 - 70. I was a little nervous going into it since this was my biggest gig to date. I don't really mix, beat match, scratch or anything like that - I play songs. And after reading lots of blogs, as long as songs have a good beat and they are familiar - people will dance. This community never dances at these parties - that is until now! I began my 2 1/2 hour set with the above list and it was a huge success. The only changes I made were the following:

I moved Electric Slide to After Fire Burning.
Added Bad Romance - Lady Ga Ga - started it first and actually mixed Poker Face in with it - People seemed to really like it.
Added Cha Cha Slide after Hot N Cold.
Changed I Melt - Rascal Flatts to It's Your Love - Tim McGraw (request).

I had the floor packed for the first 1 1/2 hours and got several compliments. That is the longest after party of a formal function ever in this venue. People always tend to leave right after the formal. When I finished with the Commanding Generals first song (planned opener) White Christmas, I started with the DJ Intro (DL from VDJ samples) and timed I Gotta Feeling - Black Eyed Peas to start the singing at the end. This was a huge starter. There were so many people on the dance floor people had to dance around the tables.

I have learned that this community loves the Top 40 old and new.

After that 1 1/2 hours is where it got interesting. Dancing became sporadic as people began to leave and the "taste" constantly changed from Top 40, Hip Hop, Old and New. It was incredibly hard to stay with one particular genre for more than 1-2 songs.

Here are a few I played for the remainder of the set:

She Wolf - Shakira
Kiss me Through the Phone - Soulja Boy
Sexy Back - Justin Timberlake
Right Round - Flo Rida
Dead and Gone - T.I.
Kiss Kiss - Chris Brown
Blame it - Jamie Fox
Naughty Girl - Beyonce
La Gasolina - Daddy Yankee

This is a small sample and I realized it was all about familiarity. Beat didn't matter - if they really new it they danced. I am going to need to expand my collection in the Top 40 genre to be more successful. Thanks for all the help.

发表时间 Sat 19 Dec 09 @ 5:48 am
well congrats glad it was a huge hit and success on your biggest yet!!

发表时间 Sat 19 Dec 09 @ 6:19 am
Cool, sounds like it worked out. Somtimes the simple familiarity just down right trumps creativity. Glad to hear it worked, I will keep that advice in mind the next time I have a "no dance" issue.

发表时间 Sat 19 Dec 09 @ 12:09 pm
Congratulations! I've been following this thread hoping you would share the outcome. Great Job!

发表时间 Mon 21 Dec 09 @ 9:44 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)