快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Harmonics.......please - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

OK Enough with the bad mixes........
1-Please use the keys and keycodes to mix your song together
2-Please wait for a break in the song to mix(if there isnt one just loop 16 or 32 n MIX)
3-Please do not overlay vocals under no circumstance
4-Please let the song play (intro,verse,bridge,chorus...Then MIX)
5-Please mix it up (always climb up tempo then cut down and start again)
Thank you
Andre

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 1:22 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
lol :) :) :)

I liked this post. I'm also fed up of hearing bad mixes!

Alex

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 1:50 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
and..

6. If you can't mix, better do another job...

I like the sound of silence sometimes... !

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 3:14 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i agree =))

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 5:38 pm
give us an example???

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 7:52 pm
hehe... loool :) nice post andre ...hehe

Agree to a certain point :) I do beatmix all my music...

BUT, I would not say that a bar dj that is fade-mixing and even using mic as a transition tool, should find a different job :) lol... actually, he might be doing a better job than me at the bar, and I might for sure do a better job than him at a club :)

But we are both djs ;) there are several ways of dj-ing.... and beatmix is one :) but not always the best answer depending on job ;)

just a few thougts.. ;)

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 10:35 pm
Yeah I agree DJ-in-Norway. I hear lots of mixes on the Radio and they sound pretty good. Not all the music is my style or the djing styles to my taste, but I understand that this is not an endeavour from just Chicago or just France. This radio station has different DJs, styles of music and styles of djing from all around the world. I have noticed that some of the DJs in France mix differently then those of us in Chicago. It's just about styles...

Also from a personal experience last night I was scheduled to mix at 20H-21H -6GMT. I was listening to DJMadcore throw down and he was finished at 19H. I was asked if I wanted to mix. So I played various Hip Hop and dance songs that popped into my head until my hour came. Some of these songs I have never mixed before becuse if you look at my past threads and blog, I mainly mix House. I only spin Hip Hop and R&B once and a while. House is my passion. So as you can imagine I wasn't knowlegable enough with the breaks and the length of the breaks, the intros and the outros...It was not the best mix of my life. It might of been one of the worst. All the other mixes that I have done on VDJ radio have been excellent. Because just like dj-in-norway I am a beat mixer. I like to get my playlist together ahead of time. But the good thing is that I am not doing that spur of the moment thing again. Also I think that I will leave the majority of the Hip Hop to DJ Manixx, TechnicalDJ and DJ Andre.

So the summary of all my ranting is also if you are not familiar with a certain song don't play it and you won't have to appologize on VDJ. lol :)

MS

发表时间 Tue 29 Mar 05 @ 11:41 pm
dont worry :)

Its MUSIC first.... for the GUESTS :)

A good choice of music, listen to a person who picks great tunes and makes a good atmosphere, is often better than an "over-techical" dj focusing all on his mixing, rather than music and guests :)
believe me, thats often the case...

But sure, beatmixing is a flavor thats prefered for house and such... :)
As of hip hop ( I do beatmix that too) - beatmixing is often not the answer....
Break-mix, fade mix and other styles can often sound better :)

But then again - I'm a sucker for beatmixing myself... but thats not always what I listen for at other djs... I prefer good taste of music, building the atmosphere etc.. a lot more than the technical transition between the songs :)

AFTER ALL - THE MUSIC LASTS FOR MINUTES; THE MIX FOR SECONDS... ;) so .. MUSIC FIRST ;) hehe

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 12:19 am
@Gnoedel...example..... next tuesday im on Vdj radio 5 to 7pm ...-5GMT
you are welcome to listen to what i mean.
Andre

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 4:09 am
Good point Norway. Whether you beat mix, break mix or fade mix the listeners just want to hear thier favorite song. I think I KNOW what Andre meant, as DJs we don't just listen to music or mixes, we analyse them. Sometimes too much, but we listen to every bass drum, snare and vocal. It's just in us. But I do appreciate an open mind...

MS

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 4:35 am
exactly ;) well said

Its for sure a DJ thing...most of all ;)

But I'm into Harmonic mixing, dont get me wrong :) lool... It sounds a LOT better when doing housegigs, and should be known by djs who get well paid for huge crowds ;)

My point was only that there IS possibile to be a DJ (at a pub or events) without even beatmixing, it IS possible to have ok mixes for clubs without harmonic mixing ;)

But - Its for SURE the higher level of djing for club gigs or festivals... doing it by harmonic mixing... :)
And if Virtual DJ develops a key detection help, more of the users here would mix like that I guess ;)

my final point is only that ALOT of us ARE mixing harmonically without knowing it, because it just sounds better ;) If you ever changed the tune you where about to mix, because it sounded a bit sour when beatmixing it, you DO have an ear for what this is all about ;)

Happy mixing u all - in any style u prefer ;) I'm for sure no judge ;)

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 1:35 pm
Now I was wondering if mixes like 2 many DJ's are also harmonic? They use very brutal clashes combined with smooth and silky transistions. Opinions?

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 2:20 pm
they definitively have their own style of mixing ;) hehe....
quite funny and cool :) if its perfectly harmonic or not... not the point I guess... as they play around with strange transitions and clashes... :) but my guess is that its probably is harmonic yes.. or else it would not sound smooth as slik where they do mix smooth as slik... like some of the soulwax stuff :)

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 2:31 pm
... and their excellent mash-ups would be harmonic :) making a mash up without having an ear or knowing the key of a song, and knowing harmoics, would be a bad idea :)

for more infor on harmonic mixing and perfect mash ups :
DJ PRINCE

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 2:38 pm
Trasition can be seemless with harmonics, this should be a first step into real djiing.
Djs are like musicians we make music with music
So if we teach the new generation to harmonically mix
the results would be beneficial for everyone
Correct me if im wrong Rune but you and i both know this is the way to go so lets try and point them in the right direction.
Harmonic regards
Andre

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 2:49 pm
yupp... i know... and I did ;) dj prince have usefull info... alot of it :)

and have also asked for it to be a future feature of VDJ to aid users in this direction :)

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 2:58 pm
So we are on the right track!
Seems to me you and i were pretty much the only ones mixing like this......like 20 years ago!!!!!!!!
Mmmmmmmm maybe you should also get on the radio..show them also the difference,i am.
Maybe i have been djiing for 2 long.....lol
Just trying to help
Andre

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:08 pm
hehe ;)

I DO think more than us are mixing like this on this forum ;) intentionally or unintentionally... I hope :)

But harmonic mixing sure is something every serious beatmixer should have in mind, and ear... :) but i do think many do, even if they dont know it... they can hear if its sour.. I hope :)

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:18 pm

How many times i get these question:how do i become a better dj?how do i work in a bar?
Mixing is an art,explore the possibillities!
There is another level once this one is acheived but i wont start that just yet.....lol
Song structures....
Regards
Andre

btw ..song selection remains the top priority in djiing always has always will
remember most people do not even hear when we mix 2 songs so...
if your a aspiring or existing dj then this is the way to go.

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 3:29 pm
hmm.. I already started with song structures at "mix lesson" forum part... loool ;) not the easiest task to explain in a few simple words

发表时间 Wed 30 Mar 05 @ 4:18 pm
63%