快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJs - Get your mp3 bitrate right! Good sound quality or no sound quality! - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I was in a club in Dublin last weekend, and the DJ was using VDJ. The night was great but the main problem that i heard that night was the sound quality of the mp3s he was mixing.

I went up and told him I use VDJ too and asked him about his setup.

Firstly, he didnt have time stretch on, so that ruled out the sound quality problem.

He did tell me that he encoded his mp3s from cd using windows media player.

He showed me the folder his mp3s were in and most of his tracks were only encoded at 96kbps!!!!
some others were encoded at 128kbps and some others at 192kbits.

This is nuts! The sound quality of an mp3 at 96kbps is so bad, you might as well hold a mic up to a cassette player to play tracks in a club!

The mp3s I personally use when doing gigs at nightclubs with VDJ are encoded at a minimum of 256kbits. 192/256kbits is the minimum an mp3 being played at any event should be.

Too many times like this instance in Dublin, I have heard excellent DJs mixing a perfect set, but having poor sound quality throughout the set.

There are plenty of good free cd to mp3 rippers available on the net - pick a good one, set the bitrate to a minimum of 192kbps in settings and use it.

VDJs unite! Get your mp3 bitrate right - or dont bother using VDJ at an event!

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:56 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
mp3 VBR 192 at least = perfect sound ;) ok.. i mostly use ogg :)

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 12:59 pm
i once knew a guy that played stuff out at that quality. he downloaded everything illegally and the lower bitrates were tracks that weren't out yet that he just had to be playing before everyone else.

personally, i buy everything as either a wav (which i will convert to mp3 myself) or i buy mp3s at 320kbs, nothing less. i do have older stuff that is at 192kbs, but that is the lowest i will go, and if i'm playing on louder systems i avoid playing the 192kbs files.

i even tell promoters and managers i work for now that i will only use the highest quality files from legal sources, i don't know if they care but i'd like to think that these djs who download poor quality files will end up getting the boot eventually.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:12 pm
Last year i was doing a party. someone brought a CD with a new hit song, i played (it was 64kbps). Everybody was dance, noone complained, but it was very very very bad. I don't know am I crazy or have bad sound configuration (creative live & altec lansing mx5021 speakers) but i cannot hear difference between 128, 192, 256, 320 kbps, but I encode all songs @ 192 CBR. Some clubs where i work mostly have speakers with piezzo horns, so by my opinion for parties 128kbps is absolute minimum, but 192 or more should be used.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:18 pm
with correct riping you won't notice difference between 224 or even 192 and waw file, doesn't matter what sound system do you use.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 1:24 pm
I try to use a minimum of 192 kbps, but the battle between VBR and CBR rages on when I did a Google search to se which is best. In Windows Media Player, there doesn't even seem to be a way to find out if the file is CBR or VBR. In addition, no options are available to set whether the file is encoded with CBR or VBR. I am using Windows Media Player 11 Beta 1. Beta 2 comes out next week and the non beta full version should come out by next month as told by a Microsoft employee on the phone.

I know other programs are available for ripping and that the LAME encoder is decent for ripping such as CDex. Then in LAME, you can set different settings.

This is taken from another forum about settings for LAME:

Quote :
Most VBR quality junkies will agree that -V1 is the best VBR setting to use in LAME. It's the highest quality VBR setting that always allocates enough bits (the guy at r3mix.net says -V2 sometimes didn't allocate enough bits for the complexity of music). There is a -V0 setting, but it just produces files bigger than you really need (with no noticable increase in quality).

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 2:15 pm
By just reading the help file for the CDex encoder settings for LAME, one can tell how complicated the whole process is! Instead of just setting 192 kbps, you can set the following options:
  • Version: MPEG I, MPEG II, MPEG II.5
  • Bitrate MinMax: 32-320 kbps
  • Mode: Stereo, Joint Stereo, Forced Stereo, Mono
  • Tags: Private, Checksum, Original, Copyright
  • On-the-fly MP3 Encoding: On, Off
  • VBR Method: Disabled, VBR-Default, VBR-Old, VBR-New, VBR-MTRH, VBR-ABR
  • VBR Quality Setting: 0-9
  • Output Sample Rate: 32,000; 44,100; 48,000 Khz
Phew, after reading the possible settings and searching the Internet, I think these setting are great for high quality MP3s.
  • Version: MPEG I
  • Bitrate MinMax: 192320kbps
  • Mode: Stereo
  • Tags: None
  • On-the-fly MP3 Encoding: Off, in order to normailize tracks.
  • VBR Method: VBR-New
  • VBR Quality Setting: 1
  • Output Sample Rate: 44,100 Khz (CDs are at this rate)
Don't forget to normalize your tracks so that all of your music is at the highest volume possible without clipping so that you don't have to use the gain control as much. In the help file for CDex, it says that "Keep in mind that this option only works when the On The Fly MP3 encoding option is disabled."

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 2:49 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have been ripping my CD's at 192 VBR, but am thinking of changing to CBR. The reason for that is that I am pondering a Denon DN-S3500 purchase and while reading some of the notes/specs, I noticed an entry stating: "Software Upgradeable by CD-ROM disc.
Most advanced functions for MP3 V.B.R. files are not supported." That sucks. It isn't too late for the rips from here on out, but I've already ripped about 70% of my CD's in VBR mode. I'm not sure which features exactly won't be available for VBR MP3's, but I want them all. lol It shouldn't be an issue when using TCCD (I hope), but I'll soon see. Anyone on here use Denon DN-S3500 with TCCD and VDJ? If so, how is it?

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:04 pm
Another problem with using the VBR setting is the compatibility with hardware MP3 players and software.

Does Virtual DJ support VBR well? So far I have tested the settings I posted above and it works well with Version 3.4 of Virtual DJ.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:10 pm
DJ ELPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have no issues with VBR MP3's. I use vdj 3.4.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 3:32 pm
We seem to be getting off topic slightly here,

I didnt know if i could mention CDEX in this topic, but because its free and because i didnt mention first, I presume it is ok mods?

Anyway, Yeah cdex is what i use and the settings listed above are spot on. Using Lame encoder is way better than WMP to rip!

My point here is that it is best to take time and get your mp3 bitrates right and your set will by crystal clear and spot on when using VDJ.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:01 pm
accessfm wrote :
Using Lame encoder is way better than WMP to rip!

My point here is that it is best to take time and get your mp3 bitrates right and your set will by crystal clear and spot on when using VDJ.

It took me days to rip my CDs using WMP and I just found out about CDex. :-) I guess I will have to re-rip if I want better quality sound. Maybe later...

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:07 pm
Interesting, good for newbies...

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:16 pm
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
I use denon 1000s & with VBR it can do everything BUT rewinding and showing remaining time!

You can always convert your songs / VBR mp3's to CBR- it's no problem.

Hope, that helps.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:37 pm
Awesome guide thanks for the the link! I saved that as PDF on my computer for future reference if anyone in the far future searches this forum, finds it, wants it and the link is dead. :-)

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 4:54 pm
I believe that I read a post somewhere that if you were DJing in a club you are looking for your MP3s to be at least 192Kbits upwards, and preferably 266Kbits.

Sure it takes up space, but quality is so important.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 10:21 pm
Regarding the Denon and VBR issue:

I have a Denon 9000 CD player, and YES, MP3s coded in VBR do cause alot of problems, even though Denon says that they shouldn't!

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 10:26 pm
Denon 3500 even doesn't play VBRs.

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 10:50 pm
djzarePRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's all about the software/ firmware updates, I think I have the latest one released some 4-5 months ago. All the effects work, it's a shame- considering that my crappy Sony car cd/mp3 player can rewind and a piece of kit like Denon can't. :(

发表时间 Wed 23 Aug 06 @ 11:42 pm
87%