快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJ fails 1ms latency, DVS Low lantency setup - Page: 1
Is there a setting that VDJ can get the soundcard latency down to 1ms (it feels life like at that latency) where digital delays are not noticeable with no distortion? I currently use an Intel I7 processor, 8-core overclocked 4.7GHz with Nvidia GPU RTX3070. Studio Lynx soundcards. So is this not enough computing power?

I noticed I can only operate VDJ at a 10ms lantency setting before distortion is overwhelming. Here are some usable settings, bit-length/SampleRate, 1024/96000, 512/48000. On the other hand, Mixxx DVS can playback at 1ms latency, 128/96000, 64/48000, giving me the feel of real time feel as I mix, blend and cut records.

I would expect VDJ to at least meet the latency of competitor DJ software. I don't use joy stick, midi or controllers etc, they don't have the accuracy to keep time when mixing/djing.

发表时间 Tue 06 Sep 22 @ 3:21 am
Is it going through asio

发表时间 Tue 06 Sep 22 @ 12:16 pm
I haven't tried to use 1ms in a real world usage scenario, but I have used 4ms and 2ms quite often with absolute success.
However, it's not only VirtualDJ that has to be tuned to achieve those low latency times reliably.
You also need to tweak your system, and make sure that the drivers of your soundcard are ACTUALLY capable of providing those times.
I have found out all those years that on the same system different gear (with different drivers obviously) behave differently.
I have gear that can play at 2ms with no issues at all, but on the same system I also have gear that despite it advertises it can do 2ms (or even 1ms) it won't cut it below 8 or maybe 6ms.

Finally just a technical correction: 1024 is BUFFER (in samples) and 96000 is sample rate (in Hz)
I don't know how your system and sound interface behaves, but on most modern systems you can easily hit 256 samples buffer at 48000 sample rate (5ms latency) without any tweaking at all.

PS: If your sound interface offers ASIO drivers then you should use the ASIO panel to setup your desired buffer and sample rate. VirtualDJ will follow that.
If your sound interface doesn't offer ASIO drivers then in order to get as low latency as possible you should enable exclusive access in the windows sound interface properties panel, and also explicitly tell VirtualDJ what latency to use (instead of automatic)

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 9:43 am
Guys, VDJ cannot be used when the latency is below 10ms unless I’m missing something here. I can currently use Mixxx and MixVibes Cross (I think NI Traktor Pro 3 too, will confirm)! I have each of these DJ software but as I mentioned VDJ cannot be used below 10ms latency.

Don’t bother chatting about my soundcard setting or pc cpu whether it’s up to the task. Various DAW, now free to use can use, can operate at low latency setting below 10ms. I’m NOT using some low memory laptop WITH an old processor. I’m using desktop overclocked cpu with a discrete GPU and nvme ssd!

Simple put VDJ cannot be used with latency below 10ms. Anything below that distortion is immediately audible.

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 3:19 pm
Soundboyrich wrote :
Guys, VDJ cannot be used when the latency is below 10ms unless I’m missing something here. I can currently use Mixxx and MixVibes Cross (I think NI Traktor Pro 3 too, will confirm)! I have each of these DJ software but as I mentioned VDJ cannot be used below 10ms latency.

Don’t bother chatting about my soundcard setting or pc cpu whether it’s up to the task. Various DAW, now free to use can use, can operate at low latency setting below 10ms. I’m NOT using some low memory laptop WITH an old processor. I’m using desktop overclocked cpu with a discrete GPU and nvme ssd!

Simple put VDJ cannot be used with latency below 10ms. Anything below that distortion is immediately audible.

Of course I’m using ASIO.

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 3:21 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I use 5ms myself all the time without issues.

To go down to 1ms you might need to change pitchQuality to 1 though

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 3:31 pm
Agreed about 5ms, but it’s not safe. Turn on any extra processing etc like filters, stems, or whatever that tuning #% is called, ur asking for immediate distortion, pops and clicks. These are immediately unbearable and cannot be tolerated. Then setting the latency higher cannot be done ( requires restart).

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 4:04 pm
Not sure why it wouldn't work on your machine then. Using it on a xps15 laptop myself, including use of stems and effects without a single glitch.

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 5:08 pm
R u using DVS at 5ms but lowest quality scratch settings etc? U never use DVS 1ms correct? I’ve already said 5ms is not sustainable. My PC cpu is well up to the task, the other software use at 1ms latency proves this.

As far as water-down sound quality, I don’t want the lower settings, why would I bother when I’m a DJ/audiofile. The VDJ software is the limiting factor here.

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 6:06 pm
What sound interface are you using

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 6:10 pm
I have 2 Lynx Studio E44 pcie card on an ATX Gygabyte motherboard. I have other soundcard the Lynx are way better.

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 22 @ 8:33 pm
i think rme would help .. rme has the lowest latency u can get . im looking at the rme fireface myself

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 12:42 am
firewire interface is much slower than pcie. I'm just saying that VDJ is the issue not my hardware...

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 4:53 am
Soundboyrich wrote :
firewire interface is much slower than pcie. I'm just saying that VDJ is the issue not my hardware...

the new one has 2 options usb .. the rme fireface ucx 2

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 7:42 am
I usually use 5 ms

Soundboyrich wrote :
I'm just saying that VDJ is the issue not my hardware...

Well... since it seems that the users in this thread - including me - don't seem to have any issue getting it below 10ms, it's probably not a general VDJ issue :)

Anyway... since everyone is not having the issue, it's probaly not a general VDJ issue :)

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 3:28 pm
Buy the fastest, lowest latency hardware u think will make a difference. VDJ SW is the issue though. VDJ DVS cannot be used at 1ms latency.

If u think 5ms is acceptable with VDJ, try loading 2 DVS decks with flac files then change the mix-in-key on a deck. The results will be pops, clicks, all kinds of digital distortion. The culprits is VDJ.

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 3:51 pm
Quoted from the PreSonus website:

"Your brain is wired so that it doesn’t notice if sounds are delayed 3 to 10 milliseconds. Studies have shown that sound reflections in an acoustic space must be delayed by 20 to 30 ms before your brain will perceive them as separate"

Basically anything 10ms or less is imperceptible. If you're listening on PA speakers 1 meter away then it's taking 3ms for the sound to get from the speakers to your ears.

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 4:37 pm
Was about to say the same. Less than 10ms is completely pointless.

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 4:46 pm
To achieve 10ms round trip with dvs or mic you need a buffer size of 5ms or less though, since you'll have 5ms at the input and 5ms at the output side.

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 22 @ 4:52 pm
You guys don't know what your talking about. Yes the brain aggregates sound in a time window, doesn't mean you can't detect horrible sound distortion and experience latency. In fact your 2 ears can detect differences down to 10microsec. We are wired to immediately detect the location of sound source to not get eaten by a lion or dinosaur!

I set the Setting:Performance:PitchQuality to 1 (from 4) and I'm able to use 128/96000 (samples/SR). (Also set the scratchFilterQuality to 10 but very little difference). Well I could hear pop/clicks in the high end tweeters. Then I mixed for about a half an hour and noticed it still lags, so I set the latency to 64/96000, latency improved and I still hear pop/clicks on the tweeter upper range.

I probably get tired of the high frequency pop/clicks but I probably need a few hours on the tables. Mixxx, Cross and Tracktor Pro 3, I don't have digital artifacts/distortion are not pop out of the tweeters.

发表时间 Fri 09 Sep 22 @ 5:16 am
77%