- PLAY/PAUSE: Plays / Pauses the track. Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to "stutter-play" the track from the last set Cue Point.
- CUE: When the Deck is paused, you can set a temporary Cue Point by moving the Platter to place the Audio Pointer at the desired location and then pressing the Cue Button. During playback, you can press the Cue Button to return the track to this Cue Point. (If you did not set a Cue Point, then it will return to the beginning of the track.). If the Deck is paused, you can press and hold the Cue Button to play the track from the Temporary Cue Point. Releasing the Cue Button will return the track to the temporary Cue Point and pause it. To continue playback without returning to the Temporary Cue Point, press and hold the Cue Button, then press and hold the Play Button, and then release both buttons.
Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to return to the beginning of the track.
- SYNC: Press this button to automatically match the corresponding Deck's tempo with the opposite Deck's (or the Master Deck’s if using a 4 decks Skin) tempo and phase. Press and hold SHIFT and press this button to set this deck as Master Deck (for 4 decks skins).
S SHIFT : Press and hold this button to access secondary functions (in white box) of other controls on the DDJ-SX.
- DECK SELECT: Switch Left decks (1 and 3) and Right Decks (2 and 4).
- GRID SLIDE: Press and hold this button and then move the JOGWHEEL to shift the position of the CGB of the track. Hold down SHIFT and press this button to reanalyze the BPM of the track and thus clear any changes you may have made before.
- GRID ADJUST: Press and hold this button and then move the JOGWHEEL to adjust the width of the CGB of the track (equal to adjust the BPM of the track). Hold down SHIFT and press this button to set the current position of the track as the First Beat.
- CENSOR: Press and hold this button to play the track backwards. On release the track will continue from the position it would have been if the button was never pressed. If SHIFT is held down, press this button (momentarily) to play the track backwards. Press again to play forward.
- STRIP SEARCH: The length of this strip represents the length of the entire track. Place your finger on a point along this sensor to jump to that point in the track (song position). Please note that while a deck is playing “on air” the strip search will not function in order to prevent sudden accidental jumps that may occur if you touch the strip by accident while you operate other controls. If you want to jump on a new position while the track is “on air” please hold down SHIFT button first and then touch the strip to bypass security.
- JOG MODE: Press this button to toggle the JOGWHEEL between Scratch and Pitch Bend modes. When the led of the button is on the JOGWHEEL performs in Scratch mode
- KEYLOCK: Press this button to "lock" the track's pitch to its original key. The track's tempo will remain at the speed designated by the Pitch Fader. Press and hold the button for more than 1 second to smoothly reset the Pitch of the track to zero (original tempo). Hold SHIFT and then press this button to cycle through the available pitch range values.
- SLIP: Enables Slip Mode. Several software functions (such as Jogwheel movements, HotCues and Loops) will apply temporarily on the track, and the track will return to the position it would have been if those functions were not triggered.
- JOGWHEEL: Touch sensitive platter for scratching (vinyl mode), bending (CD Mode) or Grid adjustment. The white leds will rotate according to the software jogwheel position and they will also blink at the last 30 seconds of a track.
- PITCH: Controls the track's playback tempo. The Up and Down Arrow LEDs will turn on if the pitch position of the unit and the actual pitch of the software do not match. While one of these leds is turned on, the pitch slider of the DDJ-SX will not control the pitch of the deck until it meets the software value (soft take-over).
- AUTOLOOP: Sets an Auto Loop. Hold SHIFT and press the same button to activate a Saved Loop.
- HALF/DOUBLE: Halves/Doubles the size of the Loop. Hold SHIFT and press the 1/2X or 2X buttons to move the triggered loop forward or backwards (step is relative to the length of the loop).
- IN/OUT: Use these buttons to set a Loop In and a Loop Out point (for manual looping).
If a loop is active press the IN button to use the jog in order to fine tune the loop-in point. Press IN again to restore the jog back to its original operation. During the time that the jog can be used to adjust the loop-in point, the corresponding led will blink to notify you of the change.
If a loop is active press the OUT button to use the jog in order to fine tune the loop-out point. Press OUT again to restore the jog back to its original operation. During the time that the jog can be used to adjust the loop-out point, the corresponding led will blink to notify you of the change