快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: hard drive speed and avoiding vdj crashing

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

i read on a post that internal Hard Drive (HD) speed is a factor and better not to use external HD. however, since Vista and V5.6 are doing GREAT ( no crashes) I was wondering if a 4200rpm internal HD would work ok ? also... I've tested external HD and it runs flawlessly, buffalo hd hc500iu2-us

发表时间 Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 12:50 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
davefromlondon wrote :
I was wondering if a 4200rpm internal HD would work ok ?

It's OK but if your virtual memory (swap file on your HD) is intensively used, it could become a real problem.
Personnally I advise you to take a higher rpm

发表时间 Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 2:09 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
look at it this way: using compression ratios is cpu intensive. using larger and larger files is drive intensive. You need a machine that balances both. I always had problems recording sets made with 320kpbs mp3s. There were always pops in the recording. Nothing terrible, and I could remove it with a plugin, but it was a demonstration that the 5400rpm drive was falling behind. Upgrading to 7200rpm drives fixed the problem where nothing else in the setup changed at all. Now on a newer laptop with 7200rpm drives _and_ raid 0, I can do anything I want while mxing... including spin with and record sets using fullblown wav files.

发表时间 Sun 06 Jan 08 @ 8:32 pm
I use .vob files ripped from promoonly no compression, video. I do not record, just DJ Videos, My main pc is 7200 rpm, my back up laptop is HP 5400 rpm. Both seem to be playing flawlessly with software on internal drive and vob files on both internal and external drives - I could return the laptop machine and order a ibuypower laptop with faster drives. As its working well I'm tending to keep HP. The only thing I need to add is a better sound card and I'm worried about problems with usb soundcards from other postings....this is not easy..Dave

发表时间 Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 10:09 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

I always thought and was told, the higher rpm of your Harddrive the better VirtualDJ will preform,

I went for a 7200rpm External drive.

Jimmy b

发表时间 Mon 07 Jan 08 @ 11:24 pm
Does 7200 external imply you are using a slower driver internal to run windows and VDJ but the .vob video files are on external ?

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 2:37 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Ideally you want all drives as fast as possible, but you definately want the drive your media is stored on as fast as possible to maximize loading speeds, and assist simultaneous recording if used. If you have sufficient RAM that your pagefile isn't really touched, then the speed of the system disk is a *bit* less important... but still as said, I've personally opted for 7200+ RPM everywhere :)

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 2:43 am
i'm testing an HP laptop, dual core, 2gb, 256mb video, vista, vdj 5rev6, HD 5400 It works GREAT, cant get it to freeze in 5 days contineous play of vob video from both HDd and remote HDd. I can buy a dock station with 7200rpm drive in it for media. I'm tempted to keep it since it tested so well and I had freezing issues in past on other machines. to goto 7200 for system drive would require buying a custom gaming laptop I think. should I keep the HP I tested ?.

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 3:29 am
If you're happy with the machine, you've tested it and it's rock solid for you then I would say yes :)

You can also always swap the internal HD later on if you want for next to no cost ;)

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 3:44 am
so I can swap an internal hdd in a laptop for the 7200 rpm version ?

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 6:57 am
A lot of laptops have the HDD in a removable bay, I don't know it that is the case with this HP one specifically though...

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 7:20 am
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
yes, all laptops use 3.5" standard drives. the spinrate is irrespective to the drive inside it. like sbdj said, some laptops have removable drives, others require a screwdriver and possibly a hammer (joking). either way, yes you can upgrade your drive. only thing is you need to reinstall, or find a shop that will transfer your data across drives.

发表时间 Tue 08 Jan 08 @ 9:47 pm
y'all are good guys.truly......let me take this minute to thank everyone.this stuff is not easy and I'm pretty technical, BsC Comp sci, sold IT for 20 years and still I stress over all this.THANKS

发表时间 Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 6:06 am
Paz75 wrote :
yes, all laptops use 3.5" standard drives. the spinrate is irrespective to the drive inside it. like sbdj said, some laptops have removable drives, others require a screwdriver and possibly a hammer (joking). either way, yes you can upgrade your drive. only thing is you need to reinstall, or find a shop that will transfer your data across drives.

You mean 2.5" drives (or 1.8" but unlikely in any laptop used for VDJ!) ? ;)

You're welcome Dave :)

发表时间 Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 6:21 am
What do I need to look for in a labtop since Im going to be djing with videos

发表时间 Wed 09 Jan 08 @ 10:57 am
dual core intel/ 2gb memory / 256mb DEDICATED video ram / 5400minimum hard drive SATA, better 7200 / external VGA port / external usb sound card or use on board sound if good quality / have the store take ALL the crap off the pc , you just want clean Vista / switch off task bar, aero feature and a few other features of vista ( see other postings - its easy, takes 10 minutes)
get a 30 day return even after removing all the crap, install vdj latest release and TEST IT NON STOP RUNNING VIDEO for 3 or 4 days non stop.........some machines will freeze, some wont.........you must test and be able to return
do not put on the internet, single use machine.dont put anything else on the machine - good luck

发表时间 Thu 10 Jan 08 @ 3:31 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)