快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: THE BEST VDJ LIVE SHOW CONTROL SETUP DEC07?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

djlexPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Ho, Ho, Ho, Merry Christmas everybody or I should be politically correct so Happy Holidays everybody!

Now I have a question for the real pro Djs around, I need real users, owners of the actual gear to express their opinions.

What is the best way to RELIABLY control VDJ in a live show?

Now I know you’d ask me how am I using it , so let me get to details:

I’m using a high performance dedicated VDJ laptop with Windows XP Pro.

Do I do video, I tried but my laptop didn’t agree and I found that ripping videos is a drag and I didn’t get to make more money for the video show, so for now is just audio for me.

Do I scratch, yes but not often, anyway when I do, I want it real.

Do I use loops, yes often on the fly and pre selected, loaded in sampler, so easy access to sampler and effects is a must.

Do I need it to be mobile, this is not an issue but of course I would like to haul the least amount of gear, don't we all?

Do I use vinyl, no since early 90s, so should be a cd or a controller.

I do spin at a club at least once a week which is fitted with Pio cdj1000s, Serato and djm 800 and I would like to try them with time code cd and VDJ, but this setup is not going to give me much control over the VDJ without using the mouse like crazy or an additional controller, so anybody whom used this setup what you liked or missed?

I did owned the Xponent months ago, but at that point in time it wasn’t the perfect match for VDJ, now I red that things changed recently and Xponent works good with VDJ, so are the jog wheels really working well, how does it take heavy use, any missed commands?

Do I use a mic input, this is not essential.

I looked at the Numark’s DMC2 but It looks like the jogs are poor so scratching is not good.

I liked the Numark HDX and X2 what do you think?

To me it looks like the best match for VDJ is the ICDX, but I red mixed opinions about ICDX, so what do you guys think about it?

Which mixer will be best for VDJ, Numark 200usb, fx5000 or PIO DJM 800?

Which audio card will be recommended for cd time code setup?
I looked at MAYA 44, are there any problems with it?

Budget is about $3000

Happy spinning!

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 1:27 am
I have DMC2: Jogs are Very sensitive in default settings and user adjustable with jbloggis's mapper. It can scratch.
My friend has Numark c200USB mixer & the Strip club where I work has one. Nice Mixer. TON of inputs.

Use the Mic in the Mixer - Traditional style.

Just My 2cents.

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 8:00 am
Thank you Dj Marcel,
but I don't think that the DMC2 jogs are touch or presure sensitive, which makes them preaty usless for scratch mixing.
How about timecode cds and Pio cmx 3000, I wonder if the time code cd supports needle drop like function, or is just a sine wave, if you store different hot cues or hot starts on a time code, will it work like you would have an actual cd loaded in to the cd player, going to start seemless at differnt points in song's time line or not?

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 3:29 pm
They are indeed not presure senitive or touch sensitive. ( I don't scratch other than for a sound effect now and then)

Ther are a LOT of users on here using TCCD with pioneer decks. Both the strip club I work at and the last Club I worked at had the CMX 3000.
I loved those players. very very nice.

I use the DMC2 for hot cue-ing and needle drop-simulation. But the Software should save all your hot-cue cue points in the database so that you wont have to re-set them all the time.

Only thing I'm fuzzy on is the hot-start with the cue button & TCCD. One more thing To use TCCD's in pioneer decks - you MUST reduce the signal volume on the disk by 12db. (Pioneer decks have a killer pre-amp.) There's a utility in the download section.

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 4:01 pm
Dj Marcel, I know VDJ saves cue points but I didn't believe that they are hot starts, so what you are saying is that with DMC2 once you saved your cues you can call them as hot starts, like if your loaded song is not playing and you hit the cue butons is going to jump play from that point not just jump to that cue and pause?
let me clarify what a hot start does, it can record about a 5 seconds from a music cd and if your song is loaded but paused and you hit the hot start button will play the song from that point, but if you play the song and hit the hot start button will jump to that point, also some players will keep this memory even if you load a different song so you can use it as a jingle
I wonder if the VDJ does the same thing when the TCCD is played on a player with hot starts like Pioneer or Denon or Numark.
The VDJ limitation will be to the one song loaded, so if you change the track the same hot points will do something else if the TCCD in fact has recognizable time stamp, the same time stamp memory loaded in the cd player's hot start will be assigned to a new song when you load a new song in VDJ, so you'd have to rerecord the cd player's hot starts memory for every song that you need the feature every time that you need to use it, so if you want the jingle feature you have to use the VDJ sampler and all this it might work only if the VDJ TCCD has time stamp info, does anybody knows this?
I believe that it should have time stamp, that is named time code.

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 5:16 pm
The dmc has 2 hot start or hot Cue buttons.

if you save your cue points in vdj and then press the pause button on the dmc2 it will jump to cue point 1, hen press pause again - it jumps to cue point 2 , etc... It will jump but not play.

to jump and play.

On the DMc: - set you cues - press hot cue #1 and it will jump to cue #2 - (default mapping) nothing can be done and start playing

if you are playing and want a hot cue jump - just press the hot cue buttons on the controller and off you go.

I hope I explained your question.

发表时间 Wed 19 Dec 07 @ 11:16 pm
Thank you Dj Marcel,
Your post did answer part of my questions and confirms that the Numark controller has its limitations and I guess is a good solution if you do not have to scratch, but this days with hip-hop being so popular means that is out of the race for club integration, is probably a very good solution for mobile Djs

How about anybody else the Pioneer and ICDX guys?

It looks like even the vip multiple stars people around here aren't interested in this topic or they do not want to share the secrets of the trade, I started this because I'm tired of people excluding the VDJ as a pro solution and I need to get my club gear updated, I want to put VDJ where it belongs, in the Club, one by one with every single one of us that has on opened mind.

发表时间 Thu 20 Dec 07 @ 3:34 pm
Hey djlex

I've been playing around with the iCDx for some time now. It's a very decent regular cd-player and I'm using it as that most of the time currently in addition to VDJ TCV. As a regular cd-player all of the features plus the ability to just chuck in a DVD full of mp3's is great. The integration between the iCDx and VDJ when it's in midi mode is still slightly buggy and apparently someone's still working on getting all the kinks out.

I've come across a couple of issues when using it in this mode - things like the pitch slider becoming unresponsive, it resetting the pitch when starting to adjust, the video output screen coming up (for no apparent reason). But in general (if you keep a check on what pitch mode the iCDx is in and not screwing around with all the effects too much) the system works pretty well. It'll show all the song info on the iCdx display, hook up with the vdj effects, auto-bpm at the press of a button (if you can't be assed manually matching it), control both decks from the one unit if needed, etc, etc...

Bottom line - once the little issues are fixed up (check on these forums for other peoples gripes) it'll be an awesome setup when acting as a controller but I wouldn't use it for a big live show just yet. Maybe - if you get to know what the issues are and how you work around them in a live situation, but I'd prefer to know that it all just works.

Hope that gives you some helpful comments on the iCDx.

发表时间 Sun 23 Dec 07 @ 7:36 am
A quick update on some of the comments I made above - I've had a reply to a post I made a while back that answers some/most of the issues I'm having, so would like to say that once I've tested what has been suggested there's a good chance these aren't bugs at all. There's also a new firmware update for the icdx which might clear up other little things.

I'll put it all to the test and see how it comes out. If they're all cleared up, it'll be great.

发表时间 Sun 23 Dec 07 @ 8:03 am
hey juice nut

this is what i'm testing out right now, as tomorrow night ill be putting vdj to the real test in a club environment as well as a battle ground because i'm gonna be one of the four djs with my own setup at the club. I'll be sure to take pictures and post them on here when i can, but in the meanwhile, Looks like you read alot, about everything.

GOOD JOB!!!

saves alot of time in trying to explain things, lol, but ok here goes,

this is my setup: core 2 duo processor, 2 gigs of ram, 160gb harddrive, windows xp media center, 2 pioneer cdjs 1000smk3s, and a numark dxm06 mixer, i'm running the timecoded cds, and as my soundcard i'm actually using the hercules as opposed to the maya 44,

my honest opinion, i would get the maya 44 just because i heard alot of good feedback from it, but right now i'm still working out the bugs and kinks in the hercmk2 as a interface and so far because of downloading the asio4all driver instead of using the internal asio driver of the mk2, it works alot better.
Stay away from the M-audio Connectiv soundcard because it functions horribly. But before I say get the herc, i would say just stick with the maya44, it works wonders. Honestly, and doesn't take a whole lot of testing to figure out what works best.

Also, be sure that when your running the denons3500 turn off the master tempo or something like that. I forgot what that button is called, but i know for the cdjs turn off master tempo, vdj doesn't work well with it on because you will hear alot of jittery sounds in the background and then when you try to blend in the mix, it just sounds bad, so i'm running the pitch blend off of vdj and normal on cdj. if that makes any sense.

lol, also i will be posting a video pretty soon on my setup and what works best for tccd users like myself.

hope this gives some sort of insight.

please post some more of your feedback as i look forward to seeing your next post.

Happy spinning

JC

发表时间 Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 12:20 am
Hey JC

I'll do a post on my further experiences with the iCDx in a couple of weeks time as I'm not in the country and am doing a tour of vietnam from today. Me unable to play my tunes for 2 weeks will be painful...

A couple things from your post though in the meantime.

I've got a similar system - running really smooth. Dell xps m1330 laptop (great size, goes anywhere) - core 2 duo, 2Gb ram, 160hdd, Vista, Maya44 usb. I've hooked it up to all sorts of gear without any real problems. My home gear is all numark - 5000fx, 2x TT500's (loving the tt's, but the mixers faders and eq's are getting pretty gritty - hopefully will be getting a djm-800 after a couple more gigs). I've mostly used TCV when playing out as I prefer the vinyl feel and switch to real vinyl from time to time - but have also used it with cdj-800s and TCCDs without too much hassle.

The maya44 has served me well for a number of years and I really recommend it too.

The only annoyance I've found with VDJ in a club is successfully getting it all setup quickly when changing dj's. It gets easier, but getting messy with the back of the mixer after a couple of drinks is always exciting when you've got a bunch of people watching. Great once it's up and running though.

On another note - I've had a slight background hum when using systems out (grounding issue when the amplifiers are running off another circuit) and have just placed a thin layer of electrical tape around the ground prong on my laptops power adapter. Works fine, but I'm sure it isn't the safest and I'm interested to know if anyone else has better solutions/equipment that helps resolve this. I've talked to "audio experts" in stores, etc and they haven't been much help. Radio Shack in the states sells a ground loop isolator which is fairly cheap for the job (not as cheap as tape though...) but they won't ship to Australia. Bastards. Anyone else have useful fixes for grounding issues?

It's good to read what others are trying - looking forwards to that vid of your setup JC.

Cheers,

Juicenut.

发表时间 Tue 25 Dec 07 @ 8:10 pm
Can't wait to see the videos, great feedback so far

发表时间 Wed 26 Dec 07 @ 12:35 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)