快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Few questions (new mixer)

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

EphemHome userMember since 2007
Hi ^^
Quite new here, got the basic program, love it, and really want to get into doing some good mixes.

Well to start off, I have a few questions
1 - To make mixes, generally for parties/clubs, do you use Samples or do you use a second sound track that you add on ? I have tried mainly the Samples, but using a second sound track could be better, just finding the right sound is the hard part.
2 - Using Samples is all fun, but is there a way to change the pitch ? So I can acctually get a melody going. Because playing a sample behind a music is great, for the first 8 beats, then it gets repetitive, having something to change the pitch (not sure of the word, but I me going from Do - Do - Do, or something like that, to Do - Re - Do, and then after a 2 or 3 times of that, changing to something else, again to stop repetition)
3 - Anywhere I can get nice Techno/Dance/Club beats as samples ? This site is good, but there aren't that many actual music beats, unless I haven't looked well enough
4 - Any tips ? =P
5 - How do I get to use a headseat ? I tried in the options, but the music from the speakers was the same as in the headseat, just can't get it working =/ Even using right-click > Listen.

Well, hope you can find me answers ^^
Hope I'll become a good DJ someday =D

Thanks ^^
Mark

发表时间 Thu 08 Nov 07 @ 5:55 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
hi there. first off what genre of music do you want to play? sampling is not really mixing in the sense of beat-matching, although it is 'mixing sound'.

for using the headset, you need an external mixer with a soundcard. in techy speak its called 'pre-fader listen' (or PFL) meaning before it goes to the speakers. to do PFL you need to be able to output the sound to the speakers and listen to a totally separate track before putting it on the mains (speakers that your listeners hear).

if you use vdj in 'simple mode' with a single soundcard, you have no PFL. you have two options there: use two sound cards (1 for channel A and 1 for channel B) or use a better sound card with multiple outputs. then you need a mixer to connect those sound card outputs to. your headphones go in that mixer and you will have PFL buttons there to use.

regarding your 'do - do - do' idea with samples, this is a bit more complicated. essentially you want to 'sequence samples' meaning you need to play them a certain time. by clicking the sample button in vdj, you can play the sample, but not put them in a pattern without being very good with clicking. basically its not really the place to do it. however you can use keyboard shortcuts to play the sample instead of clicking, which is easier. you can also use midi to do this, but lets not confuse you too much while you get started.

suggest starting simple with basic mixing skills for beatmatching. forget about samples since that is the 'icing on the cake' and you are still learning how to bake the cake... ;-).

发表时间 Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 11:17 am
EphemHome userMember since 2007
Thanks a lot for you reply ^^
Anyway, I don't think I have a sound car, I'm not sure, I'll have to check.
As for mixing, I like Club/Dance mixing.
If I don't use samples, do I just use a House track on the side as an addition to the song already playing ?

Do you have MSN Messenger so I can eventually talk to you online?

发表时间 Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 1:38 pm
Paz75PRO InfinityMember since 2006
yes indeed, anything can potentially be mixed. keep in mind that beatmatching is not everything about being a dj. djs started to exist in the 1920s and it wasnt until about the late 70s that beatmatching started. so essentially you can mix without beatmatching depending what you want to play. but yes, club/dance djs must really learn to beatmatch to get good. kinda like you need to be able to stand up before being able to ride a bike.

come to the chat room on radio.virtualdj.com on friday night 9pm (GMT+4) I will be there when I play my show....

发表时间 Wed 14 Nov 07 @ 8:23 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)