快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Props To Low-Fat-Al

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I had the opportunity to do a gig in Vegas yesterday (Saturday) and after I had finished still had time to go check out Polly Esther's in the Stratosphere and saw Al do a couple of sets (Friday he was doing the 80's thing and Saturday the 70's thing).

These days I am finding it harder and harder to go to clubs (especially a 70'-80's-90's format) and listen to the Dj for about 30 minutes (sometimes even less) and absolutlely know I should be in the booth instead of whoever is spinning. It just seems most of the time a very large percentage of the Dj's out there truly aren't at the talent or experience level that 5-10 years ago would have been required to be working major clubs and it is even harder to find good quality retro/old school dj's who know how to play the originals instead of playing mashups. remakes, remixed and sampled stuff and calling it retro/old school.

This was not the case however on Saturday night in the Polly Esther's 70's room. There is no doubt in my mind Al is to the disco VDJ what Danny Tario was to John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever. I can honestly say Al programmed the best 2 hours of 70's disco/funk (and even snuck in some rock) that I have ever heard since the original disco years. I have to admit he was even better then when I was doing the 70's thing for Polly Esther's in San Antonio and Austin back in 1999-2001.............Mad disco fever props Al.........

when you guys are in Vegas go check him out.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 9:13 am
Wouldn't mind seeing one of Als' 80's set playlists.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 10:19 am
wow thanks.... (blushing)

I truly enjoy what I do & glad I can entertain the masses when I can with such great tools using VDJ!

Doing a dedicated format of 70's disco/funk is probably one of the hardest challenges I have ever come across. I worked at the Houston polly esther's for 4 1/2 years and was thrown into that format and was told to ONLY play within those boundaries. Especially when you are faced with mixing beats with a live drummer!!

When doing the 80's format there I can do a 100% video show which I think makes a HUGE difference when doing such a format. The videos truly do bring the audience back in time and for the youth gives them a chance to see what it was like as well!

It is alway a pleasure meeting people from this great community here. I met d-twizzle on Labor Day weekend at the club.

If anyone comes to Vegas give me a pm or e-mail me at dj_phat_al@yahoo.com and I will hook you up at the door.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 1:57 pm
Al's the man! I had a great time watching him mix too. I'll be back in Vegas soon.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 5:17 pm
cmon Al..... 80's set playlist.....

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 5:43 pm
why do you need someone else's playlist? just search on google for 80's 10 ten or billboard hits.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 6:06 pm
edit: top 10 / or top 40

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 6:07 pm
Buy a license and 'then' you can ask stupid questions!

OK, I'll humour you, I play a LOT of 80's, I also use a LOT of video, so if someone is doing similar, it helps sometimes to compare notes, look what someone else is doing, see what songs they're putting with what, you never stop learning.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 7:13 pm
Good to hear these props from dj-e-lectric for you low-fat-al!

(waddup Twiz?) ... ;)

I'll be giggin' in Las Vegas on Saturday November 3rd.

I'll hit you up before then Al! =)

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

P.S.
THIS is exactly why I dropped "dj" from my stage name over 3 years ago and am now using VT along with a couple of other former dj's/turntablists (more on their way as they become more proficient with incorporating visual imagery in their sets) who are also tired of everybody and their mother calling themselves a "dj"...

dj-e-lectric wrote :
These days I am finding it harder and harder to go to clubs ... and listen to the Dj for about 30 minutes (sometimes even less) and absolutlely know I should be in the booth instead of whoever is spinning. It just seems most of the time a very large percentage of the Dj's out there truly aren't at the talent or experience level that 5-10 years ago would have been required to be working major clubs...

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:28 pm
Whilst in vegas, if you see the CSI guys, show them how we do it here in the UK :-

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:32 pm
LMAO!!!! I like it.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:36 pm
That's hilarious!

I've seen it before somewhere, but it's just as funny the first or the 50th time. =D

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 8:44 pm
C'mon guys, you have to teach them to swallow the evidence. That's what got Bill Clinton in trouble.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 9:45 pm
ah man i wish i would have known that when i went to vegas back in july for a vacation well i know now and when i go back ill hit ya up.

发表时间 Mon 01 Oct 07 @ 11:33 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)