快速登录:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

话题: faderstart

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

djjvPRO InfinityMember since 2005
My wish, be able to trigger vdj play button with my pioneer 3000 mixer faderstart, so that I can mix vdj decks with the pioneer crossfader manually. Anyone who uses a bpm studio with alcatech fcu-8 (a little box with 8 inputs for remote start) will know what i'm talking about.

发表时间 Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 2:49 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
nice idea..

发表时间 Wed 29 Aug 07 @ 9:06 am
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
It's been talked about before, and I agree it would be a useful feature. However, it's not really a software issue as such. The problem is with hardware; how to get the faderstart signal into the computer in the first place. As I understand, most mixers send a trigger voltage through the jacks, rather than a simple open/close of a set of contacts. What's needed is some kind of hardware device to take this signal and turn it into a MIDI command that could be mapped in VDJ. Maybe a DIY project for the likes of Pern? Hell, I might give it a go myself one of these days... *grabs soldering iron*

发表时间 Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 8:54 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Actually fader start can be implemented in a computer environment - however, it would require using a MIDI Mixer or Controller that would be linked to the audio crossfader. Then a threshold of movement applied to the movement of the audio crossfader so that way play of the opposite deck is started at say 1 or 2% movement of the fader in the opposite direction.

Put the soldering iron down...

发表时间 Fri 31 Aug 07 @ 10:49 pm
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I dj for more than 20 years and i NEVER used this faderstart in a hardware mixer...
There is always a fade in to first beat.. and i need control.
The only situation i found it useful is for radio, when you need the other hand to handle better the mic channel.
my 2 cents..

发表时间 Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 3:22 am
cstoll wrote :

Put the soldering iron down...

Yeah but I'm a tight git - I can't afford a midi-enabled mixer! I'm the type who'd rather find a way of bodging it for £10! I'm thinking a few transistors, an old USB gamepad and Pern's mapper....

发表时间 Sat 01 Sep 07 @ 6:07 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004

发表时间 Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 3:48 am
pernPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Quote :

Yeah but I'm a tight git - I can't afford a midi-enabled mixer! I'm the type who'd rather find a way of bodging it for £10! I'm thinking a few transistors, an old USB gamepad and Pern's mapper....

Just remember that some Gamepads use + 5v and most new +3.3v. Most mixers use a +5v pulse for faderstart. If there is an interest in this, then i can make a simple DIY schematic/Project for it.

发表时间 Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 8:11 am
Hey Pern...

Reckon you could design something that could drive a pair of relays? One for play, one for cue? On opening the fader, relay one closes and then opens, and on closing the fader, relay two closes then opens... these relay outputs could then be connected to VDJ via the gampad's contacts, a modified keyboard, or better still, the play/cue buttons on my DAC-2!

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking along the lines of a pair of 555 ICs, to create a timed pulse for each relay. I guess an extra transistor stage would be needed to provide enough current to operate the coil... I don't know how to handle the faderstart output from the mixer though, is the play output a constant voltage, or a trigger pulse? Any thoughts?

发表时间 Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 1:40 pm
The problem with mixer fader pulses is that it is different from brand to brand. Most mixers generates a +5v pulse, but it could also be a constant voltage or signal switching to get a PLAY/CUE functionality.

So, a generic device must support all 3 of these.

The best start is to get a service manual for the mixer or specs on the fader start pulses for it.

I understand how you think regarding the interface hardware but what you need depends on how the faderstart pulse looks like. If it's just a pulse then i would use something like : Mixer pulse in - Schmitt trigger - driver (IC or transistor) - Relay.

What mixer model are you planning to use for this ?

发表时间 Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 2:20 pm
Yeah I had a feeling there wouldn't be a "standard" among mixer designs! The mixer on my gig rig is a Tascam, while the one at the club is a Numark... I think I have the manuals for both somewhere, I'll have a look and see if it mentions what form the faderstart signal takes...

发表时间 Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 3:58 pm
I think Numark have the same as Denon: a +5v pulse.

发表时间 Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 4:03 pm

发表时间 Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 12:06 pm
In fact I've just read the post again and noticed DJ sherz's solution at the bottom of hooking up fader starts to a keyboard... very simple project- mono jacks and solder and cheap nasty keyboard... brilliant

发表时间 Thu 06 Sep 07 @ 5:19 pm
It's not quite that simple Ian... the jack sockets output some kind of control voltage, whereas what you want is a set of switching contacts, hence the talk about relays and schmidt trigger circuits. The only way to avoid this would be to dismantle the mixer, and disconnect the crossfader start switches from the main board of the mixer. These switches could then be wired up to a keyboard, with none of the voltage issues.

Bear in mind also that the switch will be permanently in the "on" position for as long as the fader is open - I'd have thought you'd need it to give a brief "on-off" pulse to simulate a button push in VDJ...

发表时间 Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 3:28 am
Actually have tested it and the it doesnt actually emitt a pulse. The pulse actually comes from the sound card balancing the DC offset which is a real pain in the ass for a simple plugin to be triggered by audio option through eg. an onboard soundcard...

The good thing about that is you can map it momenterally which in my opinion would be more useful any way because you would get issues with fader then becoming a stop once its been fired and you may be left in the position of having fader open but vdj stopping the track..

I do realise its quite as black and white as I suggested but still principle the same. dont think I'll be opening up my 909 again soon though. Its a curcuit jungle in comparison to any other mixer i have fiddled with in the past. Role on the arrival of my 800 ;)

发表时间 Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 10:28 am
If it has a user-replaceable crossfader, are the faderstart switches not built into the replaceable part? Just a thought for those who don't fancy dismantling their mixers...

(And for what it's worth.... I thought the Boogie Pimps remix was alright... :-)

发表时间 Fri 07 Sep 07 @ 1:22 pm
Pioneer use ground switching for Play/Cue functionality like this:

Play/Start: The player will start to play when the tip of the connector gets a ground-pulse.
Cue/Pause: The player returns to Cue position when the sleeve gets a ground-pulse.

发表时间 Mon 10 Sep 07 @ 9:22 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)